C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need to reduce idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Baller
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to reduce idle speed

I've got a thread in another sub-forum regarding a vacuum leak and the resultant high idle (1650 rpm) and here's my problem, I'm moving and having the car transported and I need a way to temporarily get the idle down to a manageable speed so the driver who loads it on the transport doesn't trash it.

Any ideas? With the move I absolutely don't have the time to fix it and just need it to be able to be started and run long enough for loading/unloading.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:02 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

well, if there is an air leak its gonna high-idle...until that leak is stopped.

You can try to unplug the IAC or force the TB plates closed...but all that takes time.
Theres no magic fix. It takes time and effort.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Baller
Instructor

Unfortunately I've got no time...
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are ideling at a solid 1650 you have more then a vacume leak. have you checked throdel plates stuck IAC stuck?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Baller
Instructor

Will give those a try. Here's the screen cap from the Datamaster session

http://screencast.com/t/UDd3DPO6zX60

I assume the IAC Pos being at 0 means it's closed as far as it can in an effort to reduce the idle speed.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:54 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

yep...and if you CAN scan then take a look at TPS during idle to confirm throttle position...if its @ .54...you got a massive air leak.

Have you looked at the easy/obvious things? brake booster hose, vac lines on plenum, PCV lines/valve ? runner bolts/gaskets?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I have never seen an car with an unmetered air leak have a steady rpm and driveable when you put it into gear.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

also your AF is about dead on leading me away from a leak also
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never had any of my cars driven onto the Moving Van - always pushed because the tank has to be empty - or as close to empty as possible when they close up the Van doors.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

did all this start all the sudden???
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Baller
Instructor

Originally Posted by leesvet
yep...and if you CAN scan then take a look at TPS during idle to confirm throttle position...if its @ .54...you got a massive air leak.

Have you looked at the easy/obvious things? brake booster hose, vac lines on plenum, PCV lines/valve ? runner bolts/gaskets?
It's at .57

I replaced the stock runners and intake with a ported intake and a set of Accel runners.

Double checked everything and I *think* I found it. The Accel runners are either a universal set (i.e. ALL TPI systems) or are pre-90.

The stock 90 runners don't have a drivers side egr runner while pre 90s do. The 90 plenum doesn't seal up the egr runner on the drivers side and what I think happened was that the passenger side egr inlet was sucking air through the drivers side runner that wasn't sealed off.

So I took a small freeze plug and deformed it a little and then drove it into the drivers side egr runner and threw a ton of the right stuff on it.

Also used the right stuff in place of the runner to plenum gaskets which were trashed in the process.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

yeah......

that's a good sized hole ! and would indeed be the 'massive' kinda leak I was referring to..

Hopefully it's fixed.

Good catch !

I am porting a set of SLP Siamese runners that have a single egr port. Not a big deal as long as the other side of the plenum gets sealed up.

I never considered that issue because I was going to have to make gaskets to fit mine.

See? that didn't take long. The stress of moving must be getting to you...I'm STILL in therapy after my last move...

Last edited by leesvet; 09-04-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Baller
Instructor

Originally Posted by SunCr
I've never had any of my cars driven onto the Moving Van - always pushed because the tank has to be empty - or as close to empty as possible when they close up the Van doors.
Have them on a transport. Movers I've talked with will no longer do that... :-(
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Baller
Instructor

yeah......

that's a good sized hole ! and would indeed be the 'massive' kinda leak I was referring to..

Hopefully it's fixed.

Good catch !

I am porting a set of SLP Siamese runners that have a single egr port. Not a big deal as long as the other side of the plenum gets sealed up.

I never considered that issue because I was going to have to make gaskets to fit mine.

See? that didn't take long. The stress of moving must be getting to you...I'm STILL in therapy after my last move...

LOL... Yeah, I can definitely sympathize with that. Plus we're going from Cali to the Southern Oregon coast so it's a bit of a haul. Bright side no more smog checks... Yeah baby, long tubes here I come...

I'm going to let the right stuff sit and seal for a good bit before I fire it up. Will let you know what happens.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
red89c4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is indeed a vacuum leak block the air from entering the air tube in front of the throttle plates with a sock or other foreign object. TEMPORARY FIX
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

you do not want to use that stuff on the intake. it can suck right into the top end of the engine. Not sure about tpi but the factory runners there is a left and right. sounds like your best bet would be to pull things back appart and start over
Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Baller
LOL... Yeah, I can definitely sympathize with that. Plus we're going from Cali to the Southern Oregon coast so it's a bit of a haul. Bright side no more smog checks... Yeah baby, long tubes here I come...

I'm going to let the right stuff sit and seal for a good bit before I fire it up. Will let you know what happens.
You're gonna enjoy the scenery once you get north of Ca...the mountains up there and the forest...are no less than amazing ! I did that drive in the winter and it felt like I was driving thru a Christmas card...

Just be forewarned, it gets hotter than lil sister in Ore...the humidity is comparable to the gulf coast...near 100% all the time.
Good luck, I'm sure its a done deal.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Baller
Instructor

Originally Posted by hooked073
you do not want to use that stuff on the intake. it can suck right into the top end of the engine. Not sure about tpi but the factory runners there is a left and right. sounds like your best bet would be to pull things back apart and start over
Letting it set up overnight with thing torqued down about 90%. Will give them a snug tomorrow. If it sucks it in it does. No choice in the matter now. I did take that into account and went kinda easy on it since the fitment is pretty snug. If there are any dingleberrys in there they should be minimal and small.

There is a left and right and the difference in the accels is the EGR port on the manifold side. Definitely have those on correctly. The trip up was the extra drivers side egr port at the plenum end.

Engines got 100K on it anyway so an excuse for a 383 wouldn't break my heart...

You're gonna enjoy the scenery once you get north of Ca...the mountains up there and the forest...are no less than amazing ! I did that drive in the winter and it felt like I was driving thru a Christmas card...

Just be forewarned, it gets hotter than lil sister in Ore...the humidity is comparable to the gulf coast...near 100% all the time.
Good luck, I'm sure its a done deal.
Thanks man and you're right, that drive from around Klamath into Gold Beach is just drop dead gorgeous. We spent a week up there last month hopping up and down the coast and loved it. We're moving to Gold Beach and staying on the coast so hopefully not as bad as inland. I've heard horror stories about some of those areas.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Baller
Instructor

Originally Posted by red89c4
if it is indeed a vacuum leak block the air from entering the air tube in front of the throttle plates with a sock or other foreign object. TEMPORARY FIX
There's a thought. If the latest fix doesn't work I could take a sheet of rubber gasket material stretch it over the TB opening and secure it with the hose clamp off of the funnel. Maybe punch a couple of small holes in it to get some sort of throttle functionality. Basically just reduce the throttle air flow to account for the leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to reduce idle speed

Quick Reply: Need to reduce idle speed