C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter / Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter / Battery

I have had problems with my battery draining if I don't drive my car every 2 weeks.
After having starter issues i replaced my starter and made a rookie mistake installing the new starter and broke the long start bolt off in the block. I have to drill it out and put a helicoil thread in to replace the bold. I put the one bolt in and to get it out of the bay. It started fine but I noticed i had a lot of feed back through the stereo amp.
I went to start it today and the battery was dead. I put the charger on the battery and again am getting feedback through the amp. If I take the lead off the battery charger the amp turns off?
Is this caused because without the second bolt in the starter it is not being grounded enough?
I am not very good with electrical testing and without taking to an electrical shop would like to possible have an ideal what I am dealing with.
Thanks All
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ken93vette
I noticed i had a lot of feed back through the stereo amp.
While the engine is running ?
Does it change with engine revs or is it constant ?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:11 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

When i first started the car i noticed the feedback.
Then tonight when i put the charger on the key is not in the ignition..yet power was getting to the amp with the feedback??

Do the bolts attaching the starter help ground it to the block? So one missing wouldnt give it a solid ground?
Before i drive it i will have the bold drilled and fixed as i don't need to torque and break the new starter housing.

Last edited by ken93vette; 09-02-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do the bolts attaching the starter help ground it to the block? .
Yes ,
but that would only present as a problem when using the starter; it may crank slow or not at all with a bad ground
Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

Thanks Vetteoz, after the charger was on all night the feedback stopped. I have always been suspect of the wiring job for the stereo, may take it to an electrical shop to find out where the draw is leaking from when the car is off. The previous owner did install a Viper Alarm system which is very temperamental at going off.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Thanks Vetteoz, after the charger was on all night the feedback stopped. I have always been suspect of the wiring job for the stereo, may take it to an electrical shop to find out where the draw is leaking from when the car is off. The previous owner did install a Viper Alarm system which is very temperamental at going off.
Alot of the guys that have put in aftermarket alarm system have had electical problem afterward.... This is well documented on here, do a search and you will find examples....WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-03-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

Right now the Viper key fob controls the door locks. If i remove the system would the GM system then take over and would i need a new key fob?

Get notified of new replies

To Starter / Battery

Quick Reply: Starter / Battery