C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 C4 Auxiliary Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
smurf5995
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 C4 Auxiliary Fan

I have had this car for several years, and never noticed the sensor that was on the drivers side of the engine. I did some research and discovered that it is the auxiliary fan switch. This is the fan that is in front of the radiator (not the one between rad and engine). there was no wire connected to this sensor, so I began to trace the cut wire I discovered. I finally realized why there were several wires that were cut and spliced together.

This led me to discover that the previous owner cut out a three inch wide opening in the radiator baffle. Apparently the previous owner could not get the sensor out of the block, therefore they cut the wire and then rewired the engine fan so that it comes on at a much lower temp, and bypassing the auxiliary fan altogether. I planned on setting everything up back to original specks, but I too could not get the sensor out of the block. I did not want to force it, so I put it back on and left the wiring alone.

I must note, the car rarely gets to 205, even on a hot day with the a/c running. The typical temp is 190, and at highway speeds, never gets above 180. So all is good, I might one day take the baffle out and recut the opening to make it look better and more streamlined.

Right now, I have a sensor and pig tail that I do not need, unless of course someone knows of a way to remove the sensor without damaging the threads in the block or breaking the sensor off into the block.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The aux fan switch in the driver's side cylinder head can simply be left there if it's not leaking. If you tried to remove it and there is no indication of a leak, you should be OK. The connecting wire is green in color.

The threads on the body are pipe thread (probably 1/4") so if you do finally remove the switch, just get a brass pipe plug from a hardware store. Use some anti-seize on the threads.

Quick Reply: 1986 C4 Auxiliary Fan