C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OK, Time to replace my clutch, need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 01:34 AM
1CanuckVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, Time to replace my clutch, need advice.....

I've seen posts on the single style as oposed to the dual mass we have. What clutch would you recomend for a weekend racer, daily driver. If anyone has the pros and cons of each style I would love to hear them.
What would be involved in switching to a camaro/firebird style clutch, or should I just replace what i've got. :cheers:
Old 07-01-2002, 10:33 PM
1CanuckVette
Instructor

Default Re: OK, Time to replace my clutch, need advice..... (1CanuckVette)

HELLOOOOOO, anyone home???????
Old 07-01-2002, 10:41 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could answer your question as I'm thinking something similar. Figured I'd add on to your rather than start a new topic.

I was out this past weekend. Car only just turned 19k and I've gotten on it a couple of times, but this weekend when I did I didn't let off it fast enough and felt it slip a little and could smell it burning. Didn't quite feel right after that. Feels a little "thin".

Can a stock clutch be adjusted? What kind of job to swap out? Any Faq' docs with a blow-by-blow?

Thanks...
Old 07-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

For a weekend racer and daily driver I'd stick with a stock type setup. You can still pull 1.90 60' times on it easily and it'll be easier to live with on a day to day basis. I got mine at Advance auto for about $350. Its a Zoom brand and has a 1 time free replacement lifetime warranty(Only plave that I found to offer any type of warranty). I have about 26k miles on it now and have really tortured it alot and it has held up very very well.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:26 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

The stock C4 clutch is pretty good and should hold up to 375-400hp. The dual mass FW is heavy and costs you on the rotating mass.

You can switch to a single mass FW. The Camero FW is popular but needs to be cut to proper thickness. You can not use the stock clutch for this setup as the dual mass replaces the need for springs on the clutch side. There are lots of issues such as putting a neutral balanced flywheel on an externaly balanced rotating assembly.

From my observation here on the forum, 1/3 to 1/2 of these conversions have some sort of problem. Ranging from vibration to improper engaging / disengaging. Most have eventually worked out the bugs, so if you go this route do a lot of searching the archives and ask a lot of questions.

If you stick with stock you are not supposed to cut the old FW. I had mine cut 0.006" just to clean it up. A new Dual Mass FW is like $600/700 from 18Carfan. Like $1100 from the dealer.

[Modified by Jay Axson, 11:30 PM 7/1/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To OK, Time to replace my clutch, need advice.....

Quick Reply: OK, Time to replace my clutch, need advice.....