C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problem With Data Tester.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 08:12 PM
dlee425
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Data Tester.

Iam at the point of pulling my hair out. Iam still fighting this code 33 and sometime 36. Highly intermitt. Did all the test in the FSM. So iam about to change the ECM to see if maybe thats the problem.
Here is the question.. When you hook up the data tester there is a 10K that goes across A and B pins on the ADSL connector. When this is turned on I can see the data but it runs like crap. The ECM is a 165 . I can only get the data in 160 baud not 8192.
Is it normal to do that or should there be no effect when switched from open to 10K mode.
Iam looking at replacing the ecm with a 16198259 unit.
An yes I have changed all 3 relays, fixed the wires to them. Retensions the MAF conector, checked for opens from MAf to ECM and all voltages. All seem normal.
The other day it just died and it cranked right back up..

Any help before I spend my money..
Thanks.....
Old 08-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You should be in the 10K position. The ECM starts out sending at 160 baud and then listens for the secret code from the tester. If it sees that code (and the 10K resistor is there) then the ECM switches to 8192 baud.

The 10K resistor shouldn't affect the way the engine runs. [EDIT] See post #4 [/EDIT] The only way to get a rough running engine is to put a 3.9K resistor in the ALDL circuit. That will force the ECM into LIMP mode. As far as I know, only GM Tech I & II testers can do that.

The error codes 33 and 36 are related. When the ECM does the MAF burnoff it looks at the output signal from the MAF. If that signal is wrong then it sets error code 36. You can get an error code 33 if the connection from the MAF to the ECM is bad (open). Could be a broken wire or intermittent connection due to dirty pins in the connectors. I suggest contact cleaner.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 08-28-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Added note about post #4
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
dlee425
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You should be in the 10K position. The ECM starts out sending at 160 baud and then listens for the secret code from the tester. If it sees that code (and the 10K resistor is there) then the ECM switches to 8192 baud.

The 10K resistor shouldn't affect the way the engine runs. The only way to get a rough running engine is to put a 3.9K resistor in the ALDL circuit. That will force the ECM into LIMP mode. As far as I know, only GM Tech I & II testers can do that.

The error codes 33 and 36 are related. When the ECM does the MAF burnoff it looks at the output signal from the MAF. If that signal is wrong then it sets error code 36. You can get an error code 33 if the connection from the MAF to the ECM is bad (open). Could be a broken wire or intermittent connection due to dirty pins in the connectors. I suggest contact cleaner.
Found the problem, It was the MAF itself. I tryed using just a 10K 1/2W resistor across pin A and B and still runs bad till I remove it.
Another strange problem..
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I just found out today that the trick is to put in the 10K resistor, establish contact with the ECM and get it into 8192 baud mode and then REMOVE THE 10K RESISTOR. I use Diacom, which does all this behind the scenes so I never see it happening.

The 10K resistor causes the ECM to go into a mode where it sets the idle to 1000 RPM and does some other non-useful things.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM
dlee425
Instructor

Thanks or the info, this may explain the funny readings iam getting and the rough idle when the 10k is in circuit.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem With Data Tester.

Quick Reply: Problem With Data Tester.