C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone have experience with DIY ECM??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have experience with DIY ECM??

I want a tunable ECM, and we found a company called DIY Auto Tune.

They sell kits [ think Radio Shack ] and complete ECMs.

Bear in mind this is NOT a street application Engine management only.

TJM
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your ECM is tunable, the prom comes out and can be reprogrammed get some Moates equipment and tune it yourself.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
TJM
Drifting

The carb is going because of the difficulty getting things squared away at the track. Track time cost .. a lot. Not the place for test and tune.

So educate me?

Is there a stock TPI computer out there that "plugs in" to a lap top? Will it accept a wide band O2 sensor input??

The DIY is tunable right there.

At least that is how we are looking at it.. Hopefully some one here can shed some light?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:22 PM
RePete
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at a Megasquirt for my '85. It looks like it will do just about anything. People use them for boost, SFI upgrades, dual O2 sensors, etc. I think you can mix and match I/O, so you could run low Z injectors with a LS MAF sensor if you wanted to.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
So educate me?
Is there a stock TPI computer out there that "plugs in" to a lap top?
Hopefully some one here can shed some light?
Usual method with the TPI/ 92-93 LT1's memcal ( chip ) equipped ECM's is to buy this device

http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the....html?cPath=95

a "emulator" that allows real time tuning from a laptop ,even as you drive ; just like reflashing a LSX PCM.
You run the tuning program , typically TunerProRT on your laptop , make adjustments , then press upload
and the new tune is loaded on to the Ostrich which takes the place of the memcal in the ECM and holds the tune.

Faster/ easier than doing same tune and having to load it onto a removable eprom that must be R/R every time you want to make a change.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Accel made a plug-n -play DFI that worked with the SR setup
Randy
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
gwbutch
Advanced

You might want to take a look at the EBL Flash. I like mine. I just got it hooked up and am in the tuning process, now.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/
Old 08-09-2013, 04:26 PM
TJM
Drifting

Thanks for the inputs checking now.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by gwbutch
You might want to take a look at the EBL Flash. I like mine. I just got it hooked up and am in the tuning process, now.

http://www.dynamicefi.com/
Do you have the EBL flash working on a crossfire? I am thinking of going that way Id like to hear how you like it
Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
ladystoy69
Burning Brakes

tbh i see the megasquirt to be the best option especially for a more race enviroment, reasons being its total adaptability to most anything, fast tunning/logging software, no chips to burn(emulator is usually just to get a bin figured out and then burn a chip not so much intended for full time use(as i have had it explained to me anyhow)

now you will lose self diognosis(codes) but i think thats a fair trade off, shouldnt need codes if you know how to and can log and if your messing with tuning then logging is no problem.

other reason imo megasquirt is a great option is because it is probably actually a lil cheaper then all the stuff to tune the factory ecms(aldl cable, chip adapter, burner/ emulator, software license, chips, etc)

add all that up and compare it to the megasquirt which has great log/program software and tons of easy to access support as well...heck i even saw a place that puts them in a factory ecm case with an adapter so its plug and play to a C4.

did i mention adaptability.... swap it to any car you get, wanna swap intakes?..no prob with megasquirt or factory ecm but wanna go turbo?..hmmm factory ecm&turbo lil harder and what boost and now you need a higher bar map...... megasquirt=3 bar map already installed.
want crank trigger? how about sequential fuel injection over batch? or how about a coil for every cylinder?, yes the answers all say megasquirt t least to me .

i dont know how important any of this is to you but if i knew the costs and thought about it before getting into modding the factory ecm not to mention having to swap to the 165 i would have definatly went the megasquirt way.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ladystoy69
..heck i even saw a place that puts them in a factory ecm case with an adapter so its plug and play to a C4.
would like to know more about this, can you provide more details.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ladystoy69
emulator is usually just to get a bin figured out and then burn a chip not so much intended for full time use
(as i have had it explained to me anyhow)
I disagree
I just left mine permanently in the car and had the USB cable in a convenient location ready to plug in the laptop.
Unless you are really good or easily satisfied ;
once you get your head around tuning there is always " something else " you want to try or mod;
hence the convenience of a emulator or flash tuning to allow instant changes.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 AM
RePete
Instructor

I tend to agree with ladystoy. plus it looks like the EBL won't work with my 85 ECU. If i have to re-pin, i might as well get as much versatility as i can.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 84wannabezo6
Do you have the EBL flash working on a crossfire? I am thinking of going that way Id like to hear how you like it
NO!!! this is a track only car!! 383cu in.. Holley 4150 Ultra carb. [a bad $800.00 idea by the way].

The only thing 1984 is the plastic, the frame, and the block.

Do have a bit of 1984 stuff left on the top shelf.. Thought what a great platform that intake would be for a super charger mount?

TJM
Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 AM
TJM
Drifting

[QUOTE=ladystoy69;1584634792]tbh i see the megasquirt to be the best option especially for a more race enviroment, reasons being its total adaptability to most anything, fast tunning/logging software,

Thanks for the input.

These are our thoughts,as well [ and the more validation we hear the easier it will be for me to right the check.]

We thought the carb. would be a great idea too, ... it is not for road racing IMO. The variables are overpowering and potentially destructive.

It helps as lot that my partner is an expert at application. He programs automatic insertion machines all over the world.. I/O IS his life [ I am as dumb as dust, on he other hand].

Kevin is talking about a solid state drive for the Data logger?? [I repeat words, here ..].

We are lucky to be two miles from DIY in Suwanee Ga. so they are going to collaborate.

Pretty high tech for a POS C4?

TJM
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RePete
I tend to agree with ladystoy. plus it looks like the EBL won't work with my 85 ECU. If i have to re-pin, i might as well get as much versatility as i can.
Small world.

I was born and raised in Ludlow!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
gwbutch
Advanced

I have my crossfire drive-able now with the EBL flash and am working on fine tuning. My project started off as just porting the crossfire manifold, but ended up being an entire engine rebuild with pistons, rods, VooDoo cam, cheap aluminum heads, bored throttle bodies, etc. The major mechanical problem with the EBL and the crossfire is the wiring harness connections. I ended buying the entire ECM/EBL from DynamicEFI and a new TBI wiring harness from Painless, so the I didn't have to do any swapping of harness connectors.

There is a several year thread over at thirdgen.org about tuning the EBL flash, and RBob (RBob is DynamicEFI) is very active over there. RBob is a great guy to work with!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...uning-ebl.html

Overall, I am very happy with the EBL flash! The tune-ability is amazing! Hook up a laptop to the system, use free software to adjust everything and anything, flash it into the ECM/EBL and you have new tuning parameters. What is neat is that the system has ?7/8/9? tunes that can be stored. You can have one tune for great mpg, one for 1/4 mile performance, one for your 16 y.o. kid so the he doesn't take it over 2,000 RPM or 30 mph (or whatever you set the values at), and you don't burn new chips. Everything is done by setting values on the PC and "flashing" (basically it is just creating the tuning file and sending the file into the ECM/EBL. I wouldn't consider it super easy or intuitive, but it is not difficult either. It is definitely not: plug and play. Especially with a home porting job and home throttle body boring job. Personally, I like these kinds of projects.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have experience with DIY ECM??

Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by gwbutch
I have my crossfire drive-able now with the EBL flash and am working on fine tuning. My project started off as just porting the crossfire manifold, but ended up being an entire engine rebuild with pistons, rods, VooDoo cam, cheap aluminum heads, bored throttle bodies, etc. The major mechanical problem with the EBL and the crossfire is the wiring harness connections. I ended buying the entire ECM/EBL from DynamicEFI and a new TBI wiring harness from Painless, so the I didn't have to do any swapping of harness connectors.

There is a several year thread over at thirdgen.org about tuning the EBL flash, and RBob (RBob is DynamicEFI) is very active over there. RBob is a great guy to work with!

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...uning-ebl.html

Overall, I am very happy with the EBL flash! The tune-ability is amazing! Hook up a laptop to the system, use free software to adjust everything and anything, flash it into the ECM/EBL and you have new tuning parameters. What is neat is that the system has ?7/8/9? tunes that can be stored. You can have one tune for great mpg, one for 1/4 mile performance, one for your 16 y.o. kid so the he doesn't take it over 2,000 RPM or 30 mph (or whatever you set the values at), and you don't burn new chips. Everything is done by setting values on the PC and "flashing" (basically it is just creating the tuning file and sending the file into the ECM/EBL. I wouldn't consider it super easy or intuitive, but it is not difficult either. It is definitely not: plug and play. Especially with a home porting job and home throttle body boring job. Personally, I like these kinds of projects.

OK thanks for that answer its something I want to do next project I was actually thinking of having different ecus to test and tune
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do.. it ran both the crossfire and now it runs the HSR. EBL is a nice set up.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:41 AM
RePete
Instructor

how does that VooDoo cam run?

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with DIY ECM??