C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

computer chip recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
c4 rocker
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer chip recommendations

Having some issues with my '87 c4. check engine light comes on, so will the upshift light, will occasional stall. had a new computer put in but my mechanic tells me the chip is bad. Any recommendations on what chip to buy? are any of the cheaper ones(like performance chips direct) worth a shot or should I just suck it up and buy a hypertech?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 PM
91tpiman
Advanced

I can burn you a new chip,you would need a memcal to start with.Look at this link. Here is a memcal for $80. I can insert a new chip inside that memcal for you,thus customizing and improving the tuning way beyond the limits of any Hypertech or aftermarket chip. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-ECM-COMPUTER-PROM-AUTO-TRANS-87-/121082984921?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c311bb9d9&vxp=mtrYou would first have to buy that person's memcal and send it to me for re-programming though.

Last edited by 91tpiman; 08-06-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think I'm better!
www.scotthansen.net

Just kidding, any competent programmer is better than a Hypertech! It will be customized to your vehicle.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

The best way I know of is to get it dyno tuned or with data logs. Any of the off shelf chips are a waste of money, IMO. I'm personally not a fan of tuning without seeing what the ECM is doing but it is acceptable if the programmer is experienced enough till you can get it to them.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd be curious how a chip goes bad. Aside from bent pins that is.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by cumbercr
I'd be curious how a chip goes bad. Aside from bent pins that is.
I agree with you on this, so when I sell them I always tell them I'll give them a refund if it doesn't solve the problem. I've gotten follow up thank you's that it worked, so they must have faults. I've done this with both mass air, and speed density. I personally have never had one go bad, but I'm constantly changing.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
c4 rocker
Cruising

Thanks for all the help. My mechanic says he is quite sure its the chip. If you tap on the computer area when it acts up it will usually clear the service engine light and run smooth
Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by c4 rocker
Thanks for all the help. My mechanic says he is quite sure its the chip. If you tap on the computer area when it acts up it will usually clear the service engine light and run smooth
Sounds like the computer, not the chip.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM
91tpiman
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Sounds like the computer, not the chip.
Yes, I would replace the ECM first.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
ladystoy69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c4 rocker
Having some issues with my '87 c4. check engine light comes on, so will the upshift light, will occasional stall. had a new computer put in but my mechanic tells me the chip is bad. Any recommendations on what chip to buy? are any of the cheaper ones(like performance chips direct) worth a shot or should I just suck it up and buy a hypertech?
tbh i would just get moetes adapter and have someone burn you a chip, pretty easy as im guessing you just want a basic stock chip as it was.. benifits to this way are cheaper as well as you will be ready for future mods or changes from simple such as fan on/off temps to complex such as major engine mods, oh did i mention cheaper
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM
c4 rocker
Cruising

I already had the computer replaced. Thanks again for all the info.This forum has been incredibly helpful!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ladystoy69
tbh i would just get moetes adapter and have someone burn you a chip, pretty easy as im guessing you just want a basic stock chip as it was.. benifits to this way are cheaper as well as you will be ready for future mods or changes from simple such as fan on/off temps to complex such as major engine mods, oh did i mention cheaper
Have you seen one installed? I haven't. I have the multiple program adapter for my Powerstroke and it sticks out of the ECM a little. He custom made it for DP-Tuner, I think since he won't sell it except to DP-Tuner and refers all calls to them last time I called.

I would also think that anyone with dyno tuning or has the capability to data log would have the equipment to flash the EPROM so what would the benefit of this be?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
Have you seen one installed? I haven't. I have the multiple program adapter for my Powerstroke and it sticks out of the ECM a little. He custom made it for DP-Tuner, I think since he won't sell it except to DP-Tuner and refers all calls to them last time I called.

I would also think that anyone with dyno tuning or has the capability to data log would have the equipment to flash the EPROM so what would the benefit of this be?
Downtime, with an adapter I can send a guy just a chip he plugs in himself. He datalogs, and I modify and send new chip. These adapters fit inside the ecm completely.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Downtime, with an adapter I can send a guy just a chip he plugs in himself. He datalogs, and I modify and send new chip. These adapters fit inside the ecm completely.

Pretty slick. Just curious. I could see it if you wanted to run multiple tunes like a race tune, street tune, etc, etc.

One more stupid question. Can I datalog with my current chip, email the results to you, have you send me another EPROM and re datalog and send you back the old EPROM?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
ladystoy69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep i have seen them installed as i have one, the one ****** shows will fit under the cover, the one i have has the zif so i use longer screws and put cover on with slight gap, and for multiple tunes moetes has some switching ones, no changing chips just turn a switch to the tune you want.. very slick and handy
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
Pretty slick. Just curious. I could see it if you wanted to run multiple tunes like a race tune, street tune, etc, etc.

One more stupid question. Can I datalog with my current chip, email the results to you, have you send me another EPROM and re datalog and send you back the old EPROM?
I have to assume you're running someone else's program. I can't modify what I don't know. This is why we start with the adapter. I'll need the answers to the 14 questions found here:
http://www.scotthansen.net/customerinfo.html

I really enjoy helping those willing to datalog.

I've always used DataMaster, but recently learned that TunerPro has a better Histogram, so if you or anyone can teach me I would be greatful.
I'll send you an adapter for free. When we nail it, you send it all back, and I burn the final into your memcal.

Call me and I'll work up a file on you!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
91tpiman
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrWillys
I have to assume you're running someone else's program. I can't modify what I don't know. This is why we start with the adapter. I'll need the answers to the 14 questions found here:
http://www.scotthansen.net/customerinfo.html

I really enjoy helping those willing to datalog.

I've always used DataMaster, but recently learned that TunerPro has a better Histogram, so if you or anyone can teach me I would be greatful.
I'll send you an adapter for free. When we nail it, you send it all back, and I burn the final into your memcal.

Call me and I'll work up a file on you!
The only problem is, it sounds more likely to be a bad ecm than a bad prom. He stated that if you tap on the ecm by hand the car smooths out, this is a tell tale sign of a bad ecm.

Get notified of new replies

To computer chip recommendations

Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Aklim, I have a ribbon cable plugged into the ECM and my chip is on the dash with a ZIF adapter. I swap chips at the track. IF I ever get it perfect, I will put 2 tunes on one chip, with a switch and get it all back in the ECM. Crappy pic.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Aklim, I have a ribbon cable plugged into the ECM and my chip is on the dash with a ZIF adapter. I swap chips at the track. IF I ever get it perfect, I will put 2 tunes on one chip, with a switch and get it all back in the ECM. Crappy pic.
I have THIS in my Powerstroke Excursion. I have a modified stock tune, high idle, 2 towing tunes, economy tune and a smoke tune. All switchable on the fly. I even have a Position 0 which is a "No Start"
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 91tpiman
The only problem is, it sounds more likely to be a bad ecm than a bad prom. He stated that if you tap on the ecm by hand the car smooths out, this is a tell tale sign of a bad ecm.
Sounds like a relay sticking. The chip doesn't have any moving parts. It's just firmware.

Quick Reply: computer chip recommendations