C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

90 Vert Clunk Noice Drivers Rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM
kevingib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Vert Clunk Noice Drivers Rear

I have a 90 vert that was recently purchased as a project car. The car only has 93k on the clock but it sat in a garage for what the PO said was a year or so. Turns out from another source that the car has not been driven since 2008 and that matches the last tag date with the DMV so I am starting to think it sat much longer than the widow said.

Had to do some tank work to get it running but it runs now and I wanted to drive it just a bit to see how it felt. On backing up or moving forward slowly there is a noticable clunk on the drivers rear. it occurs in both directions and at slow speeds.

Could be the rear caliper is frozen or something else is binding. I moved the car front to back on the driveway slowly and inspected but didnt see anything that appeared to be binding. Drove the car into the culdesac and back and the noise is not as prevent now but I can still feel it.

Car has adjustable suspension and 17" saw blades on it. I plan on pulling rear wheel off this weekend and trying to track it down as well as inspect rear suspension bushings and brakes.

Anyone that has purchased a car that has sat for a long period of time that has encountered something like this?

Just looking for ideas or suggestions. I dont plan on driving the car a lot but I need to run a tank of gas thru it to clean out the system a bit and idling in the drive will take a good while to accomplish that. Biggest fear is driving it around and having something break in the rear that requires me to tow it.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM
QuickGlass
Advanced

My guess is a frozen or worn U-joint on the axle shaft.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM
kevingib
Instructor

Crap, didn't realize this used half shafts. Doesn't look hard just tedious. I assume if I jack the rear I will have considerable play if I rock the wheel and the joint is bad.

Get notified of new replies

To 90 Vert Clunk Noice Drivers Rear

Quick Reply: 90 Vert Clunk Noice Drivers Rear