C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A little help with the seat please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Default A little help with the seat please!

in restoring my 85, i"ll be getting around to the seats soon...passenger stock seat is like new..po must'ave been on the heavy side....I have a fsm and I'm sure it says how to take it out...just looking at it I can see it must be a job....do those seat covers ecklers sell incude the pads and cushiions too...anybody know how big a job it is..would a replacement seat be easier???...can you get them out without removing all that seat adjusting stuff?....I see some advertisements for sports seats that "snap" right in......I need a little advice since I rarely believe what I read...pj
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
in restoring my 85, i"ll be getting around to the seats soon...passenger stock seat is like new..po must'ave been on the heavy side....I have a fsm and I'm sure it says how to take it out...just looking at it I can see it must be a job....do those seat covers ecklers sell incude the pads and cushiions too...anybody know how big a job it is..would a replacement seat be easier???...can you get them out without removing all that seat adjusting stuff?....I see some advertisements for sports seats that "snap" right in......I need a little advice since I rarely believe what I read...pj
The seat cushions are held in by spring clips, one right under the bottom cushion and the backing is held by 4, two on each side with one up by the headrest and the other lower down. The forum vendors sell new cushions and new covers seperately or together with the cover installed over the cushion.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 AM
ProjectC4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to take the seat frame out there's a wire clip under the front of the seat that holds the cushion in the seat. Once you get the cushion off there's 4 bolts that hold the seat frame to the floor rack. Once you get those bolts out and get the seat frame off it's way easier to get to the 4 nuts that hold the rack to the floor.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

thanks for the information..I'd just like to replace the cushions and keep it stock....passenger seat is like new....just seemed like a big job getting at that adjustable seat out. lots of gears/motors under there....i''m asumming ecklers or somebody carries replacements...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes. Seat replacements come in two different styles. One is just the cloth or leather cover or you can get them already fastened (mounted) to new foam. The foam ones are referred to as mounted covers and cost more but are easier to replace. Ones marked as "Driver Leather" are natural blemished cow hides and are the type of leather used on the original seats. For now you can just pop the covered seat pads out and swap them side to side. This gives the driver a nice new seat for now. There is a wire loop under the front of the bottom seat pad. Just pull this and lift the bottom out. The backs are a little trickier. About shoulder level reach between the leather pad and the plastic seat back. In about finger length there is a heavy wire that runs from top to bottom of the pad back. This is hooked into a bracket that is fastened to the plastic back. Push the wire towards the middle and lift out to unhook it. Down about lower back level is another one. Go to the other side and do the same for that side of the pad. At this point the back pad lifts right off. They are interchangeable from driver to passenger sides. If you order the pre-mounted seat covers you just pop them in and you’re done. That is why you pay the extra amount to get them mounted. Well worth the extra and you get new foam also. They will be like totally new seats.

Last edited by Klyde; 07-28-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Klyde
Yes. Seat replacements come in two different styles. One is just the cloth or leather cover or you can get them already fastened (mounted) to new foam. The foam ones are referred to as mounted covers and cost more but are easier to replace. Ones marked as "Driver Leather" are natural blemished cow hides and are the type of leather used on the original seats. For now you can just pop the covered seat pads out and swap them side to side. This gives the driver a nice new seat for now. There is a wire loop under the front of the bottom seat pad. Just pull this and lift the bottom out. The backs are a little trickier. About shoulder level reach between the leather pad and the plastic seat back. In about finger length there is a heavy wire that runs from top to bottom of the pad back. This is hooked into a bracket that is fastened to the plastic back. Push the wire towards the middle and lift out to unhook it. Down about lower back level is another one. Go to the other side and do the same for that side of the pad. At this point the back pad lifts right off. They are interchangeable from driver to passenger sides. If you order the pre-mounted seat covers you just pop them in and you’re done. That is why you pay the extra amount to get them mounted. Well worth the extra and you get new foam also. They will be like totally new seats.
Klyde...you are the man....exactly what I was looking for...you guys are great...Hopefully after I've taken the damned thing apart and back together again a few times I'll be able to help like you guys do thanks so much
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

When or if you get new covers you may want to rotate the pads every year or two so they wear evenly and look the same. It only takes a few minutes and makes a great time to really clean and coat them with leather treatment. You can also clean under the seats easier when they are off soaking up the treatment.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Klyde
When or if you get new covers you may want to rotate the pads every year or two so they wear evenly and look the same. It only takes a few minutes and makes a great time to really clean and coat them with leather treatment. You can also clean under the seats easier when they are off soaking up the treatment.
I really only need the bottom of the driverside..since you really seem to know, where is the best place to order it.?..I'd rather not get the whole seat but I will if I have to...passenger stock seat is like new... I was planning on doing this after I installed new injectors, but this job looks way easier..a lot cheaper too..right now she's running sweet...got everything to factory specs since I bought the fsm....except for the part under the hatch,, carpet is good...I put new dash in...all looks new...almost retired, this is my project....I actually drive a harley, my wife keeps buying new mustangs trying to get a faster car....hasn't succeeded yet....(she'll need the Rousch cobra...)..she can't afford it....pj
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't know where to get just one bottom. Most places sell the whole seats in pairs. You may be able to call one of these places and see if they will break a set. The fuel injector are less than $190.00 from site vendor FIC and only take twenty minutes to change on my 96' LT-1. The seats are about the same time wise but the cost is way up there. See if you can find a bottom off of flebay. It can be either side and most of these old cars the passenger seat is fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I tried getting only one seat cover from several vendors a while back with no luck. Why replace a perfect passenger seat? I talked with a gal at Al Knoch interiors who said to cut and send her a small piece from the good seat (where it would not be seen) and mail it to her. That way they could make sure the seats matched. She said they would just make me one seat cover.
I went to a local auto upholstery shop too. They were able to make repairs to my driver side bolster, repair a couple of split seams and then treat and redye the whole thing. Cost me around $300 and worked great!
Al Knoch: 800-880-8080 out of the El Paso area.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Yellowgreenwood
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found on search

I'm needing to replace my unmounted seat cushions. SO glad I checked here first!!!! Bottom was a breeze to remove. Having trouble understanding how to remove seat back on 1988 Convertible. I have the seat out of car so it is easier to work on.
Thanks in advance for any/all help!

edit: I've watched the video on corvetteamerica for sport seats. Is the regular seat back the same other than bladder?

Last edited by Yellowgreenwood; 09-17-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: additional text

Get notified of new replies

To A little help with the seat please!

Quick Reply: A little help with the seat please!