C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best suspension setup for an '85?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Tire Shredder
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suspension setup for an '85?

So bought an '85 vette as a project car a few months ago and now that i'm finishing up engine and interior restoration I'm ready to do Suspension, brakes, and alighnment. Ive driven it around quite a bit and it is apparent that the front shocks/struts need to be replaced. the ride is SO stiff and i mean stiff. you feel every single little bump. the front are monroe gas matics that appear to be very old and worn out.

I'm interested in installing the shocks/struts etc. that would work best with this car handling wise. I am more interested in performance than overall ride comfort. what would my options be, from premium to the more budget stuff that still gives bang for buck. Im new to corvettes and not too experienced with suspensions either. thanks guys!

btw this car has made me fall in love with corvettes!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a Z51 car. My 85 is a Z51 and yes they are stiff even after replacing the Bilsteins.
If that's the case, then short of replacing the springs, you live with it or try KYB's. I hear there a bit more forgiving. You could do the coil over setup, Guldstrand seems to have the setup that works on the 85, smaller diameter front coils.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Tire Shredder
3rd Gear

I'm not really looking to do the suspension upgrade for a more comfortable ride, I want to improve the handling. I was thinking about coilovers but wasnt sure about brands/etc for a vette. I'm not sure if its a Z51. I got it from an old car lot and it had been sitting there for 12 years, the owner knew nothing about the car. but based on all my research im pretty sure it isn't. Ill definitely check out the options you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Tire Shredder
3rd Gear

just looked at the vette and I do have the aux fan oil cooler and stuff that came on the z51, but im reading that that stuff were options on the base model too. hmmmm...
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Does the car still have the Service Parts Identification (RPO) sticker? It will eithe be on the bottom of the console lid or the passenger side storage compartment lid. If the car came with the Z51 suspension, it will show up there as "Z51".

The '84 Z51 package was very stiff and GM got so many complaints that the 85 Z51 package had softer springs and shocks.

You should consider buying copies of the Window Sticker and the Build Sheet from the National Corvette Museum. There is lots of great information in these two documents. Get them here If you aren't an NCM member, join first and then you can buy the documents at the member price. Your membership dues are also deductible as a charitable contribution.

I would bet that Guildstrand is the only company making a coilover kit for the early cars. The front top shock mounts are narrower on the 84-87 compared to the 88 and later cars. Some have cut those off and re-welded wider mounting tabs so that other brands of coilovers can be used and at less cost.

Vette Brakes has suspension kits that include springs, shocks, and poly bushings. You might want to look into that. In any event, you will probably want to replace all of the bushings, regardless of what springs and/or shocks you go with. I would also replace the upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, and get a reman steering rack. Bilsteins were the factory installed shocks and there is a Z51-specific version.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Tire Shredder
the ride is SO stiff and i mean stiff. you feel every single little bump. the front are monroe gas matics that appear to be very old and worn out.
Old shocks that have set a long while will "lock-up"
Bilsteins or Konis are your best choice.
Some here will suggest KYB's because they offer a smoother ride.

Whatever your choice, replace all four.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

FYI, even with newer components and so forth I'm not sure a comfortable ride and better handling are going to do together. You might get a TOLERABLE ride and good handling from a C4, but never the former.

The 94-96 cars had some soft springs in the FE1(base) and FX3 packages, they ride pretty soft (for a sports car). Handle like total dog crap.

92-95 Z07 springs/bars/FX3 shocks (On my 93) gives a good trade off between ride and handling. Its not cushy by any means but tolerable its a tough riding car on rough roads however. I slow down for that stuff or just avoid the crappy roads.

You need to determine what springs you have and go from there. New shocks would go a long ways. If your serious and about ride and handling don't bother with KYB, Bilstein or Koni only.

Even a 85 with Z51 should ride decent, they made the springs MUCH softer in 85. The 85 Z51 spring is the same rate they used for ALL Z51/Z07 cars from 85-95. The front changed some but never the rear. The rear spring has more to do with the ride of the car more so than the front. Its closer to your buttocks....
Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I have an 85 Z51. I'm just finishing a rebuild of the rear suspension. I recently finished the front suspension and steering. Here's what I did:

1. Replaced bushings with Prothane master kit.
2. Replaced ball joints and tie rods with Moog parts from Rock Auto.
3. Had Turn One rebuild the steering rack. Be advised, the 85 had issues with the rack housing that require it to be bored and sleeved. I am definitely happy with the rebuilt unit from Turn One.
4. Installed Bilstein shocks. You'll need to determine if you have the Z51 package. The shocks are specific for base versus Z51.

I'm pondering whether to replace the rear strut rods and tie rod with replacement units from Vette Brake Products. I like the idea of being able to easily adjust the rear camber.

The ride is not that bad once the suspension is tightened up. Rotten bushings, shocks and ball joints can really screw with the ride quality.

Get notified of new replies

To Best suspension setup for an '85?

Quick Reply: Best suspension setup for an '85?