C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 corvette alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Default 1989 corvette alternator

Does anyone know where I can get an alternator for my 1989 corvette for a decent price that is new? Or are the remanufactured ones as good as new ones, I know they used to be crap.

Also does anyone know where I can buy the red cable on the back of the alternator? I want to replace it and can not find it anywhere for some reason. Maybe I'm just overlooking it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction then that would be great.

Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Lucky86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you call your local napa, they can usually get what you need by the next day. I would feel fine using a remanufacured. Did you check mid america for the cables?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

That model alternator was discontinued years ago, so there are no new ones left. I'm on my third. The latest one is an O'Reilly's (it was Kragen when I bought it) lifetime warrantee unit and it's been good for about 10 years except for a little glitch I had a couple of years ago with a loose connection.

The red cable is part of a harness so you'll probably have to fabricate something. I think that would be fairly easy, as it appears the red wire goes to the junction block behind the battery.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I took mine to a local armature shop where they disassembled it, I took the case home and polished the case, and they rebuilt the insides.

It's been doing fine for 3 years since then. It puts out 14.2-14.3 Volts (which MAY be 1-2/10ths less than OEM). That won't cause an issue though.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

you can get a NEW replacement assembly from autozone (duralast gold for around $130 or so), lifetime warranty to boot. I put one on my 90 five years ago, and didn't have any issues. my understanding, the new owners are not having any problems either...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I got mine rebuilt for $65 at the local alternator guy.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

You can get a powermaster alternator on ebay at not a bad price, a whole lot more amps at idle.
I have also come across some poor new alternators, shafts that are too small for the front bearing they last 2 or 3 months till they have worn a large groove in the shaft. Very poor manufacturing quality..
I went to a powermaster alternator been over a year still going strong, the 80 amps at idle prevents the low volts warnings (with a/c lights thermo fans with idle down around 560rpm)

http://www.ebay.com./itm/38051521541...84.m1438.l2649
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by gerardvg
You can get a powermaster alternator on ebay at not a bad price, a whole lot more amps at idle.
I have also come across some poor new alternators, shafts that are too small for the front bearing they last 2 or 3 months till they have worn a large groove in the shaft. Very poor manufacturing quality..
I went to a powermaster alternator been over a year still going strong, the 80 amps at idle prevents the low volts warnings (with a/c lights thermo fans with idle down around 560rpm)

http://www.ebay.com./itm/38051521541...84.m1438.l2649
What volts does that alternator charge at? Is it higher, lower, or the same as oem? Sorry, I am not very familiar with alternators. Mine right now is charging at highway speeds of like 13.2 to 13.5 but also sometimes drops to the low to mid 12's.

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
That model alternator was discontinued years ago, so there are no new ones left. I'm on my third. The latest one is an O'Reilly's (it was Kragen when I bought it) lifetime warrantee unit and it's been good for about 10 years except for a little glitch I had a couple of years ago with a loose connection.

The red cable is part of a harness so you'll probably have to fabricate something. I think that would be fairly easy, as it appears the red wire goes to the junction block behind the battery.
So I can not buy the red cable at all, I have to fabricate one on my own? IF so I might take it somewhere, because that cable looks like it is crazily routed and I don't feel like messing with it haha. Also O'Reilly's alternators are now made by Ultima.

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I took mine to a local armature shop where they disassembled it, I took the case home and polished the case, and they rebuilt the insides.

It's been doing fine for 3 years since then. It puts out 14.2-14.3 Volts (which MAY be 1-2/10ths less than OEM). That won't cause an issue though.
My alternator is not the original but I do think it is a the original type used. It was put in 10 years ago or so from what I was told. Also what amps at idle and highways speeds does your rebuilt alternator put out?

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. That's why I love this forum.

Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

For what it's worth, there has never been new. All warranties were and are rebuilds. I quit counting at a dozen with three or four on the Dealer. I've been back to NAPA twice in the same day. Vette or Corvette Fever Magazine tested the aftermarket eons ago and found AC Delco
Remans to be the best. The issue is heat and low output with high demand at idle/slow speeds. That discharges the battery so it continues to work hard when it cranks up. Folklore (and maybe it isn't) says not to drive with a discharged or weak battery. Mid America and all the others offered a mini tri-fan arrangement to dissipate heat (it sat in place of the inner fender well) back in the '90's. www.alternatorparts.com has some alternatives but a member tried the "iceberg" model and toasted it within a couple of days.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by SunCr
For what it's worth, there has never been new. All warranties were and are rebuilds. I quit counting at a dozen with three or four on the Dealer. I've been back to NAPA twice in the same day. Vette or Corvette Fever Magazine tested the aftermarket eons ago and found AC Delco
Remans to be the best. The issue is heat and low output with high demand at idle/slow speeds. That discharges the battery so it continues to work hard when it cranks up. Folklore (and maybe it isn't) says not to drive with a discharged or weak battery. Mid America and all the others offered a mini tri-fan arrangement to dissipate heat (it sat in place of the inner fender well) back in the '90's. www.alternatorparts.com has some alternatives but a member tried the "iceberg" model and toasted it within a couple of days.
So what you are saying is a alternator that says "new" is not really new? Or do you mean that if I get a new one and it goes bad the warrantied replacement will be a remanufactured one?
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep. Carry a spare is the Mantra.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Go with one of the lifetime warrantee rebuilt's most of the major auto retailers offer. It will be the last alternator you'll ever pay for!

I got a lifetime warrantee part from PepBoys and it's lasted 6 years so for w/no problems.

Summit Racings sells replacement alternator cables;

http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...20cable&dds=1;
Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Ok, from what everyone has said I have narrowed it down to these 4 alternators. I would like to hear what everyone has to say about them, whether or not you used them and they were either good or bad and other stuff like that.

Autozone Gold Duralast Alternator:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...99_55002_4443_

O'Reilly Ultima Alternator:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1468&ppt=C0330

Advance Auto Parts ToughOne Alternator:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...99%7CL3*15587#

Powermaster Alternator 47803:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-47803

All of these alternators are remanufactured except the PowerMaster Alternator.

Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veryevilkitten2
Mine right now is charging at highway speeds of like 13.2 to 13.5 but also sometimes drops to the low to mid 12's.
Mine did that after rebuild. Turned out to be a bad battery I'd purchased. It failed after 18 months and I got a new (free) replacement. Voltage jumped into the 14's with the new battery.

I read there was a rash of bad batteries made a couple years ago. Probably still making the crappy POS.

My battery is the "gold" model from Advanced Auto.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Mine did that after rebuild. Turned out to be a bad battery I'd purchased. It failed after 18 months and I got a new (free) replacement. Voltage jumped into the 14's with the new battery.

I read there was a rash of bad batteries made a couple years ago. Probably still making the crappy POS.

My battery is the "gold" model from Advanced Auto.
I had my battery tested last night and it tested out good and it is only 6 months old max. I guess it could be the battery but I don't think O'Reilly's will take back a battery that tested out good.

Do you have any opinions on the alternator I narrowed my selection down to?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

I had my battery tested last night and it tested out good and it is only 6 months old max. I guess it could be the battery but I don't think O'Reilly's will take back a battery that tested out good.

Do you have any opinions on the alternator I narrowed my selection down to?

Thanks.
My battery tested "good" a couple of times before it crapped out. It had to be totally run down a couple of times before it died for good. And, you're right, they won't replace it -- until it tests bad.

I don't have an opinion on the "right" alternator. PowerMasters is a great brand....caddy of the bunch probably. Lifetime warranty is good too. Typically, I've had the best luck with O'Reilly's when comparing the three local retailers. (longevity that is)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

My battery tested "good" a couple of times before it crapped out. It had to be totally run down a couple of times before it died for good. And, you're right, they won't replace it -- until it tests bad.

I don't have an opinion on the "right" alternator. PowerMasters is a great brand....caddy of the bunch probably. Lifetime warranty is good too. Typically, I've had the best luck with O'Reilly's when comparing the three local retailers. (longevity that is)
I think I will try a reman from O'Reilly first and if it goes out anytime soon i'll go with powermaster.

What kind of alternator do you have currently?

Also thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 corvette alternator

Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM
84wannabezo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What volts does that alternator charge at? Is it higher, lower, or the same as oem? Sorry, I am not very familiar with alternators. Mine right now is charging at highway speeds of like 13.2 to 13.5 but also sometimes drops to the low to mid 12's.

So I can not buy the red cable at all, I have to fabricate one on my own? IF so I might take it somewhere, because that cable looks like it is crazily routed and I don't feel like messing with it haha. Also O'Reilly's alternators are now made by Ultima.

I got that cable with the rubber boot to cover it for about 15 from summit its also thicker for higher amperage its a painless product

My alternator is not the original but I do think it is a the original type used. It was put in 10 years ago or so from what I was told. Also what amps at idle and highways speeds does your rebuilt alternator put out?

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. That's why I love this forum.

Thanks, Stephen
I got one from summit with the boot that goes on it for 15
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by 84wannabezo6
I got one from summit with the boot that goes on it for 15
Did you replace the wire yourself? If so was it hard and can you explain what I would need to do? Please PM me if you can explain to me how to do it.

Thanks, Stephen
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, from what everyone has said I have narrowed it down to these 4 alternators. I would like to hear what everyone has to say about them, whether or not you used them and they were either good or bad and other stuff like that.

Autozone Gold Duralast Alternator:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...99_55002_4443_

O'Reilly Ultima Alternator:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1468&ppt=C0330

Advance Auto Parts ToughOne Alternator:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...99%7CL3*15587#

Powermaster Alternator 47803:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-47803

All of these alternators are remanufactured except the PowerMaster Alternator.

Thanks, Stephen
Don't waste your time with the autozone alternators their return policy has changed and if it tests good on their test bench your alternator may still be bad but they won't honor the warranty. !!

Quick Reply: 1989 corvette alternator