C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 roller rocker install.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 roller rocker install.

Installing RR on my LT1. My question is valve adjustment, in my chiltons manual, it goes throught the valave adjustment steps, but for roller rocker LT4 it just says torque to 18 lb. So is that all I have to do, or do I still need to do the TDC and rotate the engine thing?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

I found the easiest way was to run the motor with the valve covers off and tighten down each rocker till it stopped tapping, then I gave it about another 1/8 turn.

I tried the other various methods but when I started it up they clattered. Motor running was the only way I successfully got them right.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Redghost
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I agree, motor running is the only way.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Wow really? sounds messy.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

It's not bad. A few pieces of cardboard tucked into the edge of the heads catch the bit of oil spray. If you rev it up it'd make a mess but at idle it's relatively clean procedure.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm going to do my roller rockers on my L-83 this afternoon. Gonna try the "book" procedure and see how it goes. I've never been a fan of running the engine with the covers off and as much work as it would take on mine (A/C compressor and a'ssy belt, etc.) I'd rather just do it factory style and see how it goes.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do this, I'd like to see some pictures of the car running with the valve covers off and how you went about using the cardboard to catch the oil. Also the procedure and pics for tightening down the rockers. I would get roller rockers too and do the job toalso if I had some pictures for reference. Just being told how to do something is only half, you need to se it being done too. At least that's how I am with some things.
I have read that this is a good mod to do on an older engine as the stamped steel ones are not as strong and could have bent. Can somone explain this?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Adjusting lifter preload with the engine running is an old, out-dated method of performing that task. It's been around from decades but has fallen out of favor because a new and better method is now the most frequently recommended procedure. Some guys still cling to the old method and it'll work, but only if done correctly (same with all of the differing methods - they have to be done correctly).

Same with the method shown in many manuals - the one where you're required to go from one side of the engine to the other side then back again. That method is too confusing and regularly causes confusion and mistakes.

The procedure which is most often recommended now is the Intake Closing/Exhaust Opening method which you'll find on CompCams' website (and others).

As far as your question, LT1 engines and LT4 engines use COMPLETELY different procedures for setting lifter preload.

LT4s have what GM calls "net build" valve trains where the rocker nut is simply tightened to a specific torque and that's all there is to it. That doesn't work on LT1 engines.

LT1s, however, are completely different and call for the adjusting nut to be turned one full turn (+/- 1/4 turn) from zero lash. That required procedure is much more involved.

I wrote a step by step procedure to set lifter preload and have it posted as a STICKY on this and other Forums - LS1LT1.COM, etc. I wrote it with those who are unfamiliar with setting lifter preload in mind.

Track it down and it'll walk you through how to do it.

DON'T TRY USING THE LT4 PROCEDURE ON A LT1 ENGINE - IT WON'T WORK AND WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR ENGINE!

Jake

Last edited by JAKE; 09-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JAKE
Adjusting lifter preload with the engine running is an old, out-dated method of performing that task. It's been around from decades but has fallen out of favor because a new and better method is now the most frequently recommended procedure. Some guys still cling to the old method and it'll work, but only if done correctly (same with all of the differing methods - they have to be done correctly).

Same with the method shown in many manuals - the one where you're required to go from one side of the engine to the other side then back again. That method is too confusing and regularly causes confusion and mistakes.

The procedure which is most often recommended now is the Intake Closing/Exhaust Opening method which you'll find on CompCams' website (and others).

As far as your question, LT1 engines and LT4 engines use COMPLETELY different procedures for setting lifter preload.

LT4s have what GM calls "net build" valve trains where the rocker nut is simply tightened to a specific torque and that's all there is to it. That doesn't work on LT1 engines.

LT1s, however, are completely different and call for the adjusting nut to be turned one full turn (+/- 1/4 turn) from zero lash. That required procedure is much more involved.

I wrote a step by step procedure to set lifter preload and have it posted as a STICKY on this and other Forums - LS1LT1.COM, etc. I wrote it with those who are unfamiliar with setting lifter preload in mind.

Track it down and it'll walk you through how to do it.

DON'T TRY USING THE LT4 PROCEDURE ON A LT1 ENGINE - IT WON'T WORK AND WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR ENGINE!

Jake

I've actually done that on another vette after I put new headgaskets on it, so I know how to do it, I just wanted to know if I had to or not. Thanks good to know.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM
lilronnie82
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why cant I thread my nut onto the studs when installing my roller rockers
Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

And for anyone wanting to set the LT1s with the motor running it is messy, too messy for me. For next to nothing you can get little stoppers that you can put on the pushrod end of the rocker that will keep the oil loss to a minimum.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 roller rocker install.

Quick Reply: LT1 roller rocker install.