C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C issue-90 all of a sudden!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:41 AM
MZee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C issue-90 all of a sudden!

Well, this forum sure helped me with the Teflon stub axle and bearing issue, instaed of replacing unneeded new u joints, people here suggested I replace the washer and the creaking noise is gone, runs like a top now but,
my a/c stopped , blows hot, I had it recharged yesterday, blew cold, two hours later, hot.
How could a leak develop that fast, all season it blew cold cold up til now???????????????????????????????????
MZee
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Blend doors may not be working.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 AM
rli7275
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That certainly does appear to be a leak. Only thing is a leak of that magnitude should be easy to spot. Who recharged it? If it's leaking that bad it won't draw down a vacuum. While it is possible there were two issues and now it's something else like the blend doors as said, it did get cold after recharge. I would have the shop put dye in it to find the leak although a two hour leak should be obvious(oil accumulation,hissing noise) or such.Freon is expensive even R134 you don't want to keep that up.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might sound dumb, but is the clutch engaging? If the rubber hub on the compressor is bad, it can make you think there is a problem someplace else because it will look like the compressor is turning, when in reality, it isn't.

My 96 did that to me. I could see and hear the clutch engage, but it blew hot air. Drove me crazy until I actually stuck my head down there and saw that the bolt that goes into the compressor shaft WASN'T spinning even though the compressor clutch was.

Last edited by JMelton; 07-26-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by rli7275
That certainly does appear to be a leak. Only thing is a leak of that magnitude should be easy to spot. Who recharged it? If it's leaking that bad it won't draw down a vacuum. While it is possible there were two issues and now it's something else like the blend doors as said, it did get cold after recharge. I would have the shop put dye in it to find the leak although a two hour leak should be obvious(oil accumulation,hissing noise) or such.Freon is expensive even R134 you don't want to keep that up.
Thanks, to answer, the garage mechanic shot it up, ran ice cold , drove it back to my place to drop it off, ice cold.
I got in it two hours later , boiling hot air. Blend doors, not too familiar with that.But I called there, now I have to drop it off, no car again, that's one day at a time for each issued.
Radio, stub washers, now AC.
That's it ,no other issue.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by rli7275
Thanks, to answer, the garage mechanic shot it up, ran ice cold , drove it back to my place to drop it off, ice cold.
I got in it two hours later , boiling hot air. Blend doors, not too familiar with that.But I called there, now I have to drop it off, no car again, that's one day at a time for each issued.
Radio, stub washers, now AC.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MZee
Life is good.
But your C4 journey is never ending

Get notified of new replies

To A/C issue-90 all of a sudden!

Quick Reply: A/C issue-90 all of a sudden!