C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

You might want to make another choice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default You might want to make another choice.

I started a thread yesterday about my noisy Professional Products fuel pressure regulator. It got worse today and was making all kinds of noise so I called Prof. Prod. I explained my problem and the "tech" said, "well, you know,, fluid does make noise when it is going through a pipe" I knew right then and there he wouldn't be getting a Christmas card from me. He told me he had never heard of such a thing, no offer to look at it or anything. I told him I planned on taking it apart to see what I could see. The reason I told him is to see if he would say no, it will void the warranty but instead I get, "it's yours, do what you want with it. I wanted to tell what I would LIKE to do with it but I just hung up on him, I must be getting old. This is the second item I have bought made by Prof. Prod. and it's the second one to not work right. Just thought I would post this for all to see, in case you were considering buying a PP product.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I started a thread yesterday about my noisy Professional Products fuel pressure regulator. It got worse today and was making all kinds of noise so I called Prof. Prod. I explained my problem and the "tech" said, "well, you know,, fluid does make noise when it is going through a pipe" I knew right then and there he wouldn't be getting a Christmas card from me. He told me he had never heard of such a thing, no offer to look at it or anything. I told him I planned on taking it apart to see what I could see. The reason I told him is to see if he would say no, it will void the warranty but instead I get, "it's yours, do what you want with it. I wanted to tell what I would LIKE to do with it but I just hung up on him, I must be getting old. This is the second item I have bought made by Prof. Prod. and it's the second one to not work right. Just thought I would post this for all to see, in case you were considering buying a PP product.
I have no knowledge of the regulator you bought. But the one I got from TPiS is so simple I don't know how anybody could screw it up. It's just a hat with an adjustment screw in the top that uses the stock diaphragm. You could probably use the stock hat, drill a hole in the top and put a screw in it.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,045 Posts

So much for Professional Products. I've been using a Holley fuel pressure regulator for years. It is a billet unit and a large adjusting dial up top. I used a sharpie to mark increments on the dial, sort of like a clock. This allowed me to make recordable adjustments for my log. Great piece.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Mine is completely different from a tpi style fpr. It works by the same principle though and I have had it apart and cannot see a thing wrong, BUT, when I put it back together it was quieter!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

This my regulator, I have focused the picture on it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 401 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Professional Products is the same crappy company that sold defective dampers for several years. They delaminated.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

They also made aluminum intake manifolds that did not fit unless you ground material off of it so it would sit down properly on the heads. I know this first hand. This is what I get for trying to save a little money. To be honest, the azzhole I talked to pizzed me off more than the regulator problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I think I am going to try one of Summit's own brand regulators, anyone have any experience with them? I'm also considering FAST and AEROMOTIVE. Anyone have any other suggestions??
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

No need to spend the money on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, just disassemble the standard fuel regulator drill a hole and tap the cover fit a screw and spring to keep it from moving under vibration or have a nut that can be locked when the pressure has been set.
Set it to the pressure you want and you are good to go, i have no noises from my fuel pressure regulator and the car loves 45 to 50 psi fuel pressure.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
No need to spend the money on an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, just disassemble the standard fuel regulator drill a hole and tap the cover fit a screw and spring to keep it from moving under vibration or have a nut that can be locked when the pressure has been set.
Set it to the pressure you want and you are good to go, i have no noises from my fuel pressure regulator and the car loves 45 to 50 psi fuel pressure.
He's not running a stock regulator. Look at the pic and you'll see...
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Chris
He's not running a stock regulator. Look at the pic and you'll see...
That was the reason for the comment !! He feels that the modification he mentions suffices/does well and just avoid the expense from the starter. Does it help the OP? The OP has already spent and plumbed it so the money is not to be recovered, or maybe not easily!

For you and I it offered up an alternative to consider!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 400 Likes on 262 Posts

I think I am going to try one of Summit's own brand regulators, anyone have any experience with them? I'm also considering FAST and AEROMOTIVE. Anyone have any other suggestions??
Summit's brand is quite likely to be a re-boxed Pro Products..... Their TB's are.

Some of Pro Products stuff is OK and a good deal for the $$$ but some of it is pure junk. Sometimes we find out the hard way "which is which".
Will
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

You know, I was thinking the same exact thing. I had already changed my mind earlier this morning and decided on the FAST regulator unless somebody has some negative info on them. My car does is not raced so please don't suggest one of the high dollar units. Thanks rklessdriver for confirming my suspicions.

To those with suggestions on using the stock fpr, thanks but those days are long gone for my car, I'm sure your comments have turned on a light bulb for others and that is what it is all about.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I've got another question about this noisy regulator. My car was running absolutely beautiful until this excessive noise started, at that time my hesitation when revving returned. This happened from the time of shutting it off one night and re-starting it the next day. Could it be possible for the regulator to show good pressure on the gauge yet still have too much gas going into the bypass which is, I think, where the noise is coming from. I wear two hearing aids so pinpointing this noise is not possible. If the fuel is bypassing more than it should, this would cause my hesitation if I am correct. I'd like to hear what some of you experienced guys have to say about this.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 PM
383vett
Race Director

Midnight, the simple solution would be to turn off the hearing aids when you drive. You know the old question about a tree falling in the forest... If your car is hesitating and your fuel rail pressure is ok, you don't have a fuel delivery problem unless your injectors are boogered up.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

What did you say??
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an Aeromotive unit on my LT1 and looks nice and easy to adjust. I did have problems at first and was sent another new unit and they paid for the return (JEGS). The only thing I may yet change is rotating the cover so my vacuum line is in a different direction for my hose routing for the unit.

Get notified of new replies

To You might want to make another choice.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:03 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Midnight 85: I have an Accel adjustable fuel pressure regulator that I bought for a Fiero I had....quite some time ago...never used it. I wonder if it would fit your engine....as it sure is not going to fit anything I have now.

Would you be interested in it? If so I can dig it out of the box and get the part number off of it...perhaps take a picture or so. This was for the V6 Fieros 1985 to 1988....so the application year is the same.

Anyways let me know if interested.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Midnight 85: I have an Accel adjustable fuel pressure regulator that I bought for a Fiero I had....quite some time ago...never used it. I wonder if it would fit your engine....as it sure is not going to fit anything I have now.

Would you be interested in it? If so I can dig it out of the box and get the part number off of it...perhaps take a picture or so. This was for the V6 Fieros 1985 to 1988....so the application year is the same.

Anyways let me know if interested.
From what I could find the Fiero regulator won't work. I need either 3/8 NPT or -6 an female threaded inlet and outlets. Take a look at the junk one I posted the pic of earlier and if yours looks like it would work then maybe a pic or two would be nice. I know zip about Fiero's but I don't think yours will work.
I have two votes for Aeromotive but none for the FAST so I may change my mind again.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM
383vett
Race Director

What did you say??
I said TURN YOUR HEARING AIDS ON HIGH

Quick Reply: You might want to make another choice.