C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Passive keyless entry won't go into programming mode!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passive keyless entry won't go into programming mode!

I bought key fob for my 93 went thru the programming sequence ,trip od twice hold fuel info until pke comes on turn key off pke goes off not able to get it to program if i shut door the horn beeps and doors lock any ideas?isnt the pke light suppose to flash when the ign switch is turned off. So I can introduce the new fob to Mary it up. What am I missing the system seems to work but I have not been able to program the fob on the last step turning the key off the light goes off and doesn't come on with fob I tried with out turning key off and brought fob in but no luck

Last edited by Captaintim; 07-21-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

It may be your cylinder is loose and it thinks you have removed the key. Try turning the key off but keep hold of it and make sure it is firmly pushed in.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markKlein
It may be your cylinder is loose and it thinks you have removed the key. Try turning the key off but keep hold of it and make sure it is firmly pushed in.
Right thought so myself.
But I would close the door without removing the key
And it locks the doors and horn beeps .if I go through the procedure
And I remove the key then close door the system doesn't lock up
Seems like removing key cancelled everything out. Can the system
Be turned off? Is there a step I'm missing? I didn't get a fob when
I bought the vette.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turned mine off by holding the door button down until it cycles.
======================================== ========
Place your transmitter fob 10 feet or more away from the Corvette coupe or convertible. Get in vehicle and turn the key on, but do not start the engine. Push the Trip/Odo button twice and within 5 seconds, push and hold the Fuel/Info button, until the PKE light comes on and remains on. Turn the ignition key off, but do not remove the key. The PKE light will come on and begin flashing. Now go get the fob and walk toward the Corvette with the fob in your hand. When the receiver module recognizes the PKE fob, the PKE light in your Drivers Information Center (Lower Botton Left), will remain on, with no flash.

Remove the key from the ignition, put the fob in your pocket/purse and walk away from the Corvette, and the doors should lock. You will hear a chirp from your horn to verify the locking procedure. Now walk toward the Corvette with the fob in your pocket/purse, the doors will automaticly unlock, without touching or pressing the fob buttons. If you are working on your vehicle, or have a passenger whom remains in the vehicle, it is best to disarm the system, otherwise the alarm will sound if a door is opened by the passenger, or the system will cycle lock/unlock while you are near it.

To disarm the system, hold the door button down until you hear the the door locks cycle twice. To rearm, simply do the same procedure. Shake the fob, hear the rattle?, that is a tiny gold bearing that is in a small cylinder that "wakes the fob" or otherwise it would be on all the time, and drain the battery. When movement is detected by the bearing, it turns on the fob.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure your door plunger button is not stuck. It happened with my 93 and until i sprayed it with a little WD it would hang up and stick in. Believe it or not this will cause wierd problems.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davewhtt
Make sure your door plunger button is not stuck. It happened with my 93 and until i sprayed it with a little WD it would hang up and stick in. Believe it or not this will cause wierd problems.
I may have something like that as well most times after washing the car
The int lights come on locks cycle and if its locked the alarm(horn) goes off. I remember reading a post about the door switch shorting out when getting wet.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

I cleaned door plunger removed fuses 26 40 42 cleaned contacts I turned switch on
Before installing fuses back in I noticed the door chime work/clear put fuses back in
The door chime worked with key on door open but not with key in and off.
The pke light still goes out when turning switch to off. Not programming all else seems
To work as should. I've read others with same issue but no resolve.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Captaintim
I cleaned door plunger removed fuses 26 40 42 cleaned contacts I turned switch on
Before installing fuses back in I noticed the door chime work/clear put fuses back in
The door chime worked with key on door open but not with key in and off.
The pke light still goes out when turning switch to off. Not programming all else seems
To work as should. I've read others with same issue but no resolve.
If the door chime works with the key on but not with the key off that is your problem. The cylinder is worn and thinks the key has been removed when turned to off position. If you can't keep the connection by holding the key firmly in when you turn it off then the only real solution is to replace the cylinder.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markKlein
If the door chime works with the key on but not with the key off that is your problem. The cylinder is worn and thinks the key has been removed when turned to off position. If you can't keep the connection by holding the key firmly in when you turn it off then the only real solution is to replace the cylinder.
Yeah I was afraid that.
I will try another key, maybe key is worn, the lock switch seems tight.
before I pulled fuses and turned the key on the chime was weak just a cherp or two. after pulling fuses and switching on key the chime seemed to reset if nothing else. but only in the on position.
I really appreciate all the feed back.
should of done my home work before buying fob.
All else is good.

Get notified of new replies

To Passive keyless entry won't go into programming mode!

Quick Reply: Passive keyless entry won't go into programming mode!