C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thermostat Access on 89

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM
89ragtop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thermostat Access on 89

[URL=http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/gordleona/media/DSCN1511_zps91fded6c.jpg.html]
I would like to replace the thermostat on my 89 but there is what appears to be a vacuum line connector just above the thermostat housing attchment bolt. There are what appears to be 2 small diameter vac lines coming into a device that is attached to something under the fuel rail. I have tried gently pulling on the connector device to se if it will come off without success. I am reluctant to apply more force without knowing what it is and hoiw it is connected. Has anyone removed one of these to get the thermosta housing off? I have a picture of it but don't know how to post thew picture.

Last edited by 89ragtop; 07-15-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations on finding your EGR solenoid. Be very careful with the plastic vacuum lines as they are very brittle from heat cycling and age.
Bob
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 PM
89ragtop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a trick to removing/disconnecting the vac lines without removing the whole plenum and fuel rail?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Just cut them off. It ain;t a big deal. Don't break the plastic nipples. Vac line is cheap and easy. You WANT to replace that anyway. Its far too old to trust much longer. Use a razor blade to cut the hose off. Wd40 may help.

OR

Take the T-stat housing off and remove the egr solenoid from that bolt. Relocate the solenoid to the back of the air pump bracket. All you need is a little more vac line and a wrench.
After you relocate the solenoid you now have easy access to the housing for future work and the egr plug is available for testing.

If you want to install new vac line to the EGR, yes, you have to pull the plenum. I have done it with the plenum ON but it ain't easy. Much faster and easier to just pull it and clean up and reassemble. IF the plenum has never been off before, the 1st time might be tough.

Last edited by leesvet; 07-15-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The best way to replace the thermostat is to remove your Throttle body first. This makes it way easier to access the bolts and to make sure you can get all the old gasket removed before installing the new gasket...If you can get it done with the Throttle body on the car it will take you a long long time compared to removing it... To remove that rubber plug with the plastic tubes, just pull it straight out , it may be stuck, but it will come loose if you wiggle it from side to side....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-15-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat Access on 89

Quick Reply: Thermostat Access on 89