C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Thomastp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optispark Question

This started out as an oil leak issue on my 94 6 speed coupe. I had cleaned up all the leaks and replaced the opti 6 years ago. I developed a leak this spring. I chased it to the front of the engine. After removing the WP and opti I determined the front of the pan was leaking. Why the hell would it start to leak after 6 years? Anyway, the pan is back in and I used a Victor gasket from CarQuest. I used RTV on the corners per the FSM. I'ts all buttoned up and nice and clean underneath. Now to the issue. I was going install the Opti when I noticed the seal, on the back of the opti, is broken. This is the light green seal on the back of the opti where the drive shaft goes through. There is a small spring that goes around the seal and that's still there. About 1/4 of the lip on the seal is missing. GM doesn't list a seal for the opti. What do you think? Have anyone ever seen this? Should I just put it back on? I guess that's the only option I have. Anyone ever tried to fix a seal this this?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

You need this -
FEL-PRO TCS45953 timing cover seal set.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Thomastp
Instructor

I'm referring to the seal on the opti, not the seal on the timing cover. That kit has the seal for the timing cover. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thomastp
I'm referring to the seal on the opti, not the seal on the timing cover. That kit has the seal for the timing cover. Thanks for the input.
myself, I'd be thinking that if the seal on the Opti looks that bad, and I'm in there with the water pump and harmonic balancer off, I'd replace that Opti.

GM never offered a seal for it probably because when it gets to that point, you need to replace the whole thing.

Jim G
Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

there was a Utube video on rebuilding Optis and it included installing new bearings and seals; it was very through and should still be out there somewhere; good luck
Old 07-14-2013, 02:20 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I just watched a You Tube video "Optispark disassembly: bad bearing" it appears the bearing and seal are one unit; replacement seemed simple enough, IF you can source the bearing and seal assembly.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Thomastp
Instructor

mtwoolford, Thanks for digging that up. Good information although the opti in the corvette (94) is a different configuration. It uses a small drive shaft. My thought is to just get a new one. I'll probably go with the unit from Petris.

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark Question

Quick Reply: Optispark Question