C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Summit Racing Hitachi starter problem

Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Summit Racing Hitachi starter problem

So two weeks ago, I finished my Hedman header install on my '87 and I bought a Summit Racing mini-starter so I wouldn't have to deal with the large OEM starter. I installed it according to the directions and it seemed to work fine.

Got the car in my trailer to go get the exhaust finished today and the starter was still cranking the engine over with no problems. Until I try to start the car to take it out of the trailer after getting home. The starter didn't want to engage at first (could hear it running) then the engine started but the starter kept running. I shut the engine off with the key and the starter continued to run

After something like 15-20 seconds the starter quit running; started the car again, the starter kept running. Got the car in the garage and shut the engine off and the starter kept running. Ran for 15-20 seconds and quit. I pulled the negative cable off the battery and I did get some sparking even after the starter quit running.

Ideas??
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Check the starter pinion to flywheel teeth clearnance using a wire gage.
.020 inch was the recommended clearance for the engines that used
the Nippondenso starters so probably the Hitachi would need the same
clearance.

At the bottom left of the diagram below the GM part number for shims is also listed.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

I did the mini starter install with my Hedman headers and everything is good (so far !)
did you do the install test where you pull the starter gear out with a pick until it meshes with ring gear, then slide a paper clip thin wire between the teeth as they are meshed to check it has the proper clearance ?
also did you use any of the spacers supplied ?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Because the engine is in the car, it appears to be impossible to check the clearances at the gears. The car has the manual trans so the bellhousing is one piece. The mounting block on the starter completely covers the opening where the "inspection plate" sits.

The starter came with one full length very thin shim which I did use. When the starter engaged, there was no indication of any binding or grinding noise. It turned the engine over easily and I made sure the battery had a full charge. In fact, this particular starter (p/n SUM-829100) doesn't even have the typical whine that some other mini starters have. It actually sounds just like the OEM large starter that was in the car.

I talked with some of the techs in the shop and they all agreed that it sounds like an internal electrical problem, especially because the starter motor will continue to run once the engine has started and for 15-20 seconds after I shut the engine off.

I just called Summit and they are replacing the starter and it will ship today. I'll get the replacement installed and see what happens with that one.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Racing Hitachi starter problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Summit Racing Hitachi starter problem