C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
This is not a fuel pump problem, it is a tune problem. You need more acceleration fuel. The pressure will drop when you rev the engine in the driverway because your intake vacuum goes up. On the road at wot the vacuum will drop and pressure will go up. You already raised pressure to 70the psi, if the pump was shot that would not happen. One other note doubling fuel pressure only raises output 41%.
Bingo!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Damn! Thank you but I really did not want to hear this, I already bought a pump
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Before I just go out & shoot the car I have a question, let's forget all about the hesitation for a minute, if the pump is not weak then why did I have to open the throttle so much to bring the idle up where it is supposed to be? I could raise the idle by adding pressure then I can close the throttle back within the range of the tps. I'm not doubting anyone, I just don't know. I'll be the first to admit I am in way over my head on this. If it weren't for tunedport90 I wouldn't be this far along. Also, I have had sooty tailpipes all through this but when I boosted the pressure the exhaust cleaned up immediately.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 07-04-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:57 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you running a stock pump with your moded engun?

I had a hesitation at WOT when i did my cam and HSR a warboro 255 fixed.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Are you datalogging ? Its the only way to know whats really going on.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

As I recall you upgraded your ECM. Did you have this problem before you installed the upgrade tune? If not, I suspect the tune rather than the fuel pump. I'm on my third pump. I have never had one kind of fail. They've been more like turning off a switch.

I agree that revving the engine will not increase fuel pressure. You need to put a load on to lower the vacuum. Some data logging would be very helpful.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So what is the consensus on the horsepower capacity of the stock pump? I have heard many stories of the stock pump not up to the task of a modded engine. And fuel pumps have always been weird in every GM car I have owned. I have had several that checked out just fine pressure wise, but a new pump curing whatever symptom I have had at the time, such as hard starting, hesitation, etc.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Are you running a stock pump with your moded engun?

I had a hesitation at WOT when i did my cam and HSR a warboro 255 fixed.
Yes I am and if the Walbro I just ordered solves it I will be a happy camper but I respect the others advice also so I am not expecting any real difference.

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Are you datalogging ? Its the only way to know whats really going on.
I can datalog but I cannot get it to run decent enough to trust taking it out of the garage. I will be getting that done as soon as I can though.

Originally Posted by cumbercr
As I recall you upgraded your ECM. Did you have this problem before you installed the upgrade tune? If not, I suspect the tune rather than the fuel pump. I'm on my third pump. I have never had one kind of fail. They've been more like turning off a switch.

I agree that revving the engine will not increase fuel pressure. You need to put a load on to lower the vacuum. Some data logging would be very helpful.
When I first started trying to solve issues I could not use the pcmforless tune because it made the car run worse. I was actually running a stock memcal and I had no hesitation at all. Once I got things a bit sorted out I used a custom tune I got from tunedport90 which was a tamer tune than the pcm one. That is when I had to add some fuel pressure, 58 lbs. the car was throwing a lean code at any speed from in town cruising to highway speed. However I still was able to rev it without hesitation. At this point I found out the injectors I had were not 28 lbs as I was told, they were 24's. I placed an order with FIC for the reman 30 lb. injectors and I figured I would be able to lower the pressure and do the usual settings and drive away, wrong. The whole thing is the hesitation, the car runs good if I just roll in to the throttle. Like I mentioned earlier I had a rich idle and it was turning the tailpipes black, that is when I got po'd and raised the pressure to 70 lbs. I could tell the difference immediately in the way the car fired up, the nice smooth idle and a much cleaner exhaust, that is the first time it revved the way it should also.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Yes I am and if the Walbro I just ordered solves it I will be a happy camper but I respect the others advice also so I am not expecting any real difference.

I would not just through parts at it. Although I did, I did it because I was told by my tuner not up to the challenge.

=)

Try driving it with a FP gauge taped to the WS. No hesitation with the stock tune.. that kinda takes the pump out of the equation but better safe than sorry.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I just re read your post, was your tune set up for X injector size but you switched to Y? That could be an issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

The tune from pcm was set for 30 lb. injectors. I have a pressure gauge on my A pillar and it is dead on. I checked with a regular tester and they read the same. That's how I knew the pressure would climb when accelerating but it had stopped that the last day or so but I thought it might be because I was running so much pressure. With the pressure set at 38 lbs. and the fact that it dropped one lb. when I put the vacuum on the regulator certainly can't be right can it? It should have dropped more than 1 lb. I have already made arrangements for another tune if the pump makes no difference. (Which is probably the case) Normally I don't throw parts at it but from what I read on Google and here I thought it was the pump. I had already ordered it just before cumbercr had said it was the tune, then bjankuski said the same so that's where I am right now, AFU. You younger guys are all way better at this than me, I'm 64 and I don't want to get into doing my own tuning so I have to go through stuff like this to get what I want. I would have thought that pcmforless would have gotten a lot closer with the tune than they did and I realize they could not hit it dead on but that's another story.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 07-05-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Can any of you tell me this, I made no changes at all except putting in the new injectors and setting them at FIC's suggested pressure. Why was the idle so low? I had to open the throttle blade quite a bit to get it to idle at 800 where it is supposed to. By the time I had it set at 800 the tps could not be moved far enough to bring it down even close to .54
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

First, you are not to old to learn a few more tricks. You and I are in the same age range. It is not at all unusual to have a tune that just doesn't work. When I first fired up my 396 it was so rich I was afraid I washed the cylinders.

Some questions: What cam are you running? Do you now have 30# injectors installed? Which tune are you using?

Having the wrong size injectors for the tune will really screw with your mixture. If I understand correctly, PCM tuned for 30# injectors but they were actually 24#? Smaller injectors would of course cause a lean condition across the entire range. You said you then installed a stock memcal and it ran better. The stock tune would have been for 22# injectors so that makes sense.

Increasing fuel pressure to compensate may be OK for troubleshooting purposes. But the solution is to adjust the MAF tables in the tune. To do that you will need to do some data logging. Data logs will reveal where you need to add fuel and where to take away. By the way, I run fuel pressure at 43.5 psi. That way the injectors are working at their rated pressure.

Target idle rpm is part of the tune. Do you know for sure the tune you are using was set for 800 rpm? You should only have to adjust the throttle blade to dial in an IAC count of 45ish at idle.

I believe your problems will go away with the correct tune. I'd give PCM another shot at it. Then provide them with the data logs so they can dial it in. An AFR gauge would be very helpful for adjusting WOT.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

First, you are not to old to learn a few more tricks. You and I are in the same age range. It is not at all unusual to have a tune that just doesn't work. When I first fired up my 396 it was so rich I was afraid I washed the cylinders.

Some questions: What cam are you running? It's a fairly mild Summit brand, I compared specs to a Comp Cam I was looking atDo you now have 30# injectors installed?Yes Which tune are you using? I have had both tunes in the car with very similar results

Having the wrong size injectors for the tune will really screw with your mixture. If I understand correctly, PCM tuned for 30# injectors but they were actually 24#? Smaller injectors would of course cause a lean condition across the entire range. You said you then installed a stock memcal and it ran better. The stock tune would have been for 22# injectors so that makes sense.

Increasing fuel pressure to compensate may be OK for troubleshooting purposes. But the solution is to adjust the MAF tables in the tune. To do that you will need to do some data logging. Data logs will reveal where you need to add fuel and where to take away. By the way, I run fuel pressure at 43.5 psi. That way the injectors are working at their rated pressure. That is the setting I am using on the new injectors

Target idle rpm is part of the tune. Do you know for sure the tune you are using was set for 800 rpm? Yes You should only have to adjust the throttle blade to dial in an IAC count of 45ish at idle. Since I can't get a good solid idle I have yet to set the IAC accurately, see the above post of mine concerning idle setting.

I believe your problems will go away with the correct tune. I'd give PCM another shot at it. Then provide them with the data logs so they can dial it in. An AFR gauge would be very helpful for adjusting WOT.
I will be doing some datalogging as soon as I get the new pump & we'll see what happens then. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Unless someone zero'd out a table. i have yet to see a drop in fuel pressure. From a rev. The pressure should maintain.. try installing your OE tune.. if you still have a hesitation and drop pressure.. its the fuel pump.. as stated above keep your pressure gauge on.. facing the windsheild.. and drive and monitor your pressure.. could be a weak pump

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 07-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

It's going to have to wait, I already pulled the pump out of the car and am waiting for the new one. I would expect it maybe Monday. I can understand the no drop in pressure from a rev but why doesn't the pressure climb when I pull the vacuum line off the regulator? It always did before.
I have permanent pressure gauge mounted on my A pillar so monitoring pressure is simple, and this how I know how the gauge reacts to certain things. I feel that if the pump was strong it would not drop a pound or two when I do rev the engine.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
It's going to have to wait, I already pulled the pump out of the car and am waiting for the new one. I would expect it maybe Monday. I can understand the no drop in pressure from a rev but why doesn't the pressure climb when I pull the vacuum line off the regulator? It always did before.
I have permanent pressure gauge mounted on my A pillar so monitoring pressure is simple, and this how I know how the gauge reacts to certain things. I feel that if the pump was strong it would not drop a pound or two when I do rev the engine.
Installing the pump will assure the mechanical part of the system is functioning properly. When you install the pump, make sure to use the harness they provide. I made that mistake and ended up with a pump that ran backwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some ideas

Old 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I made that mistake and ended up with a pump that ran backwards.
HAHA that sux
Good thing the pump is easy to get to.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

And I am glad he let me know of this before I put mine in.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Finally! Today is the day. The new fuel pump will be here today. I ended up having to order another one because the seller of the first one is,,, well let's just say that dealing with him leaves a lot to be desired. I'm getting my money back from the first pump I ordered but it has delayed things a lot with all the waiting. Once I get the new pump in I will see what things are like & post back this evening with who was right.

Quick Reply: Need some ideas