C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rubber brake line R&R Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default rubber brake line R&R Questions

alright I am at the last end of my project which is swapping out the rubber lines for braided stainless ones. My question is does anyone have any tricks on how to remove the rubber lines from the steel ones. I am putting a 12mm wrench on them and when I turn it the bolt doesnt loosen and it almost feels like its going to round off the nut. is there a special tool and procedure for getting these brake lines off
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

First use a Flare wrench, that is one made or hydraulic fittings. Second, P B Blaster or similar plus time and patience. When I did mine i was forced to resort to some heat, as nervous as a fluffy tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but it got the job done.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
alright I am at the last end of my project which is swapping out the rubber lines for braided stainless ones. My question is does anyone have any tricks on how to remove the rubber lines from the steel ones. I am putting a 12mm wrench on them and when I turn it the bolt doesnt loosen and it almost feels like its going to round off the nut. is there a special tool and procedure for getting these brake lines off
You need 6-point flare-nut wrenches to do this effectively! You might also find it beneficial to hold the brake hose hex to steady it. The OE hose is indexed with locating tabs to the frame bracket. These might be 16mm.

A search for flare nut wrench will yield many, many results. You might just find it very beneficial to buy a set.

Since you're not rushed, soak everything down today, again in the AM and tackle the removal later that evening. I wouldn't think heat should be required.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-30-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

The flare nut may be rusted to the steel line.

What I do: If the rubber line is still attached to the caliper cut it. Remove the hose retaining clip at the frame bracket. Push the fitting down & unscrew the rubber line from the fitting. Normally heat will free the flare nut & allow it to turn = good to go.
In severe cases of rusted flare nut & you do not want to change the hard line attach the hose to the hard line & tighten then screw the caliper on the hose.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I guess I will have to go to the tool store and get some hydraulic wrenched and some PB Blast... all I have is WD40
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 AM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I guess I will have to go to the tool store and get some hydraulic wrenched and some PB Blast... all I have is WD40
A full set of flare-nut wrenches should do the trick. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant OR a good penetrant. Liquid wrench is almost as good as PB blaster at 1/3 the cost. A mixture of ATF /Acetone works great too.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I used PB blast and a wrench for disconnecting hydraulic lines and it still feels like its not budging... plus its starting to round off a couple of them.... what can I do to get the ones out that have started rounding off and can I replace the ends once I finally have them disconnected
Old 06-30-2013, 06:07 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
The flare nut may be rusted to the steel line.

What I do: If the rubber line is still attached to the caliper cut it. Remove the hose retaining clip at the frame bracket. Push the fitting down & unscrew the rubber line from the fitting. Normally heat will free the flare nut & allow it to turn = good to go.
In severe cases of rusted flare nut & you do not want to change the hard line attach the hose to the hard line & tighten then screw the caliper on the hose.

This will keep from twisting the steel line. Hold the steel line nut stationary and turn the rubber line fitting.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

It sounds like you tried to accomplish all of this in a matter of minutes. Look back at my post and see where I mentioned soak, soak again next day and THEN later disassemble. If you've nearly rounded them off you're down to the procedure "Churchkey" mentions. It's quite effective and your only alternative presently. I maybe needed to pay closer attention to your location.

Hindsight and maybe a lesson for others is to soak all of this down days in advance of disassembly. You've had your suspension apart for quite some time, this all needed to have been or could have been planned in advance.

How many have you ruined?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

And if you have rounded the nut, lock on it with vise grips. Again, do not turn the nut, turn the hose assy.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I let it sit for about an hour... they aren't completely rounded however but the fronts have started to round off.... I will soak them even over night and see what happens tomorrow.... is there a way I can get a new flare nut on there one I do get it apart
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Not unless you replace that section of steel line. Sorry.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I can't cut the flare off buy a new bolt and re-flare it
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

NO - I'd say your well beyond that. Do the "vise grips" and turn the hose procedure and hope for the best. You do still need to soak the he!! out of the nut before the attempt.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

so then how am I supposed to bolt it back up with visegrips?.... I can't replace these bolts with new ones without redoing the lines
Old 07-01-2013, 12:46 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

If you can find the correct flare nut (not a bolt) and have the proper flaring tool (single? double?) then you 'could' replace the damaged nut.
Replacing that section of steel line might be easier and more bulletproof.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Impala Balko;1584293668]so then how am I supposed to bolt it back up with visegrips?.... I can't replace these bolts with new ones without redoing the lines[/QUOTE]

Once you get the hose assy off of the nut usually you can work them loose from the pipe. The problem is the nut seizes to the pipe and will not turn. But yes, if it was mine, I would reuse the old nut by re attaching it with vise grips.

Edit to say, double flare on steel is not easy to do. That being said, after cutting the old nut off, you would need at least 1.5 to 2 in. of straight pipe to lock the flaring tool on with the new nut and re flare

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 07-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To rubber brake line R&R Questions

Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
If you can find the correct flare nut (not a bolt) and have the proper flaring tool (single? double?) then you 'could' replace the damaged nut.
Replacing that section of steel line might be easier and more bulletproof.
The flares are "bubble" NOT inverted or double and I can't imagine the OP can save enough of the tube to accomplish a good bubble flare. It might be possible for a talented person to go further on the tube and create something to work but it would require someone that was very confident and capable.

Cunifer alloy tubing forms very easily and would be a much better repair doing the complete section of tube from the ABS to the wheel. Bubble flares are quite easy with an inexpensive bar type flaring tool but I believe I'd like to have it done with a later hydraulic flaring device after it was formed. The OP would need metric "bubble" nuts also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks WV,
Learn something every day!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

I guess I will re attach the old line with vicegrips once I get them apart