C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 won't shift into 3rd or overdrive. What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 won't shift into 3rd or overdrive. What did I do?

Yesterday on the way home, about a mile from my driveway, I had a little Honda Civic riding my bumper, so in defense of America I floored it, left him of course, coasted down turned on my roadand pulled right into my driveway without speeding back up and shut if off.
This morning I get in it to go to work, and it won't shift. It will shift from 1st to 2nd but not go into 2nd OD will not go into 3rd and won't go into 3rd OD. But here's the kicker. It's still SOMEWHAT going into OD. Like I could speed up to 55 in 2nd and let off and it would coast as it was in nuetral, but if I moved the shifter out of OD into D it would downshift all the way to second. I had to get to work so I limped in and the longer I went the more it seemed to want to slip before shifting from first to second. Did I fry it? Please say no
Old 06-26-2013, 11:35 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Forsythe
Yesterday on the way home, about a mile from my driveway, I had a little Honda Civic riding my bumper, so in defense of America I floored it, left him of course, coasted down turned on my roadand pulled right into my driveway without speeding back up and shut if off.
This morning I get in it to go to work, and it won't shift. It will shift from 1st to 2nd but not go into 2nd OD will not go into 3rd and won't go into 3rd OD. But here's the kicker. It's still SOMEWHAT going into OD. Like I could speed up to 55 in 2nd and let off and it would coast as it was in nuetral, but if I moved the shifter out of OD into D it would downshift all the way to second. I had to get to work so I limped in and the longer I went the more it seemed to want to slip before shifting from first to second. Did I fry it? Please say no
Sounds like the 3/4 clutch pack in the trans is gone, overhaul time, sorry.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Sounds like the 3/4 clutch pack in the trans is gone, overhaul time, sorry.
Say it ain't so!
So no relays or governor fuse or anything, it's got to be mechanical?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

It's possible that a clutch pack could have gone. It's also possible that you may be low on fluid. I don't have much experience with Automatic Transmissions, since I only had time to take a Manual Transmissions class. But I got part of the A/T class. But another thing is is that you could have a bad shift solenoid.

I would take it to a transmission shop and see what they think.

Sorry man, but this is why I don't like automatics, too many problems. :p
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
It's possible that a clutch pack could have gone. It's also possible that you may be low on fluid. I don't have much experience with Automatic Transmissions, since I only had time to take a Manual Transmissions class. But I got part of the A/T class. But another thing is is that you could have a bad shift solenoid.

I would take it to a transmission shop and see what they think.

Sorry man, but this is why I don't like automatics, too many problems. :p
It is definitely not low on fluid and isn't leaking anything... Aamco bound I guess
Old 06-26-2013, 01:55 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There are no shift solenoids in a 700R4, shifting is controlled by the hydraulic governor located in the tailshaft housing. The only electrical solenoid in the valve body controls torque converter lockup. Since the trans does upshift from first to second, I doubt the governor is at fault.
Some of us did finish the class and pass the test.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by toptechx6
There are no shift solenoids in a 700R4, shifting is controlled by the hydraulic governor located in the tailshaft housing. The only electrical solenoid in the valve body controls torque converter lockup. Since the trans does upshift from first to second, I doubt the governor is at fault.
Some of us did finish the class and pass the test.
So definitely mechanical? oy
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

the input shaft to the 3/4 gear pack will shear off after a fashion... very common failure in the 700R4.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by bogus
the input shaft to the 3/4 gear pack will shear off after a fashion... very common failure in the 700R4.
Okay guys, one more question... What's a fair price? I got two guys saying $1500 with a new torque converter and going from 6 to 14 clutches(?) Another saying $950 plus hard parts if needed with 12/12k warranty. I'm in Central Fl, anyone know where I can find a deal? What's this job worth?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My suggestion is to find a complete trans purchase. There are a number of nationally reputable trans suppliers that will cost a bit more but well worth the cost. I tried the overhaul route and spent more money (2300) than buying a performance tranny (1700) outright. The biggest plus is that the performance trannys are runup on a trans dyno that programs the governor and valve body correctly.

The warranty will be better and you have your old trans to salvage the speedometer drive gear.
Others will chime in with vendor recommendations soon.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

The transmission Gods are punishing you for even attempting to put a way a Honda Civic.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
My suggestion is to find a complete trans purchase. There are a number of nationally reputable trans suppliers that will cost a bit more but well worth the cost. I tried the overhaul route and spent more money (2300) than buying a performance tranny (1700) outright. The biggest plus is that the performance trannys are runup on a trans dyno that programs the governor and valve body correctly.

The warranty will be better and you have your old trans to salvage the speedometer drive gear.
Others will chime in with vendor recommendations soon.
I just don't have the funds for it. Had this car less than a week and have sunk $1700 in engine repairs, this is going to break me. Found a guy who said he'd do it for $950, put a mild shift kit in it and warranty it for 12 or 12k. Reviews seem reputable, seems like the only way I'm going to get it running, unless I find a mechanic I can trade guns for labor lol
Old 06-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

Originally Posted by 383vett
The transmission Gods are punishing you for even attempting to put a way a Honda Civic.
Well what was I supposed to do? I couldn't let that guy go around talking about how his new spoiler and short shifter let him dust a Vette now could I?!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Around here, I can get one rebuilt for around $600, and I always R&R it myself. If they do it all, should be around $1200. If you do an exchange, make sure you get your Corvette governor, a regular is different.

I would rebuild your original to keep numbers matching.

shawn
Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Try adjusting the TV cable first, but it sounds like a trans rebuild is in your near future.

I know this is for a L98, but it should give you the idea:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583935895-post4.html
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Jeremy Forsythe
Advanced

I got it all done for $950 including tow and glad I did. I asked the mechanic about a shift kit or aftermarket rebuild kit, he said he'd be happy to get me one, but the corvette rebuild kit it pretty "aggressive" (his terms) So I went with that. I didn't realize how bad it was slipping before 3/4 clutch pack went out on me. It's like a whole new car now. I had come to terms with the fact that this car would never be my old 5.0, now with the motor tuned up and this new transmission, this thing would dust that old Stang. All buyer remorse is gone
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
JohnyH
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Forsythe
Well what was I supposed to do? I couldn't let that guy go around talking about how his new spoiler and short shifter let him dust a Vette now could I?!
LOL I drive both, the civic auto has had a transmission problem for three years (hard shift first to second) it throws a code once in a while but clears eventually. Mechanic says it will fall out one day, I'm waiting it out, 250K on the odometer (kilometers) 150k mikes!

I lent my 88 Vert to my son(26 yrs old) trying to be a nice dad! that will be the last time he drives it!!!!!!!!!! Took it out this morning and it won't shift out of first. I'm pissed!!!!!!!!!

Don't know where to start?

John

Get notified of new replies

To 84 won't shift into 3rd or overdrive. What did I do?

Quick Reply: 84 won't shift into 3rd or overdrive. What did I do?