C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
betyelou
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter???

1996 lt1. Twice in the past couple of weeks when I start my car I get the same kind of noise that you get when your car is running and you
accidently turn the key on. It happened a week ago and it just made a little noise but today it was worse. Turned the car off and started it 3 times and all OK. Thinking the starter but before I get one I thought I'd ask the experts. So starter or something else??
Thanks for any thoughts
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by betyelou
I get the same kind of noise that you get when your car is running and you accidently turn the key on.
Starter pinion is not disengaging from the flywheel fast enough
Possibly the solenoid is sticking ?
Cheap backyard fix if that is the problem
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/Nippondenso.html
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I would tend to think that the ignition switch might be bad rather than the starter. The switch is at the bottom of the steering column. Also another thought might be to check the linkage and make sure the switch is tightened down and not loose.

The starter would not generally activate itself. The solenoid contacts would have to close and solenoid activated to pull in the bendix to the flywheel.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
The starter would not generally activate itself.
This is happening when he is starting the car so he is applying power to the solenoid ; it is not "self " activating.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteoz
This is happening when he is starting the car so he is applying power to the solenoid ; it is not "self " activating.
I see what you mean, I did read it wrong first time, having said that…..

Possible worn down gear teeth on bendix or not engaging of fully engaging with the flywheel.

Sounds like the starter could be defective.

But first I would check the electrical connections on the starter to see if anything is loose.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I believe you are saying that the car starts, but the starter continues to run after the engine is running. At least that's what I take from it, mainly because I had the same issue a couple of years ago. I would the car would start, but I would hear the starter keep going. I would quickly turn the car, knowing it doesn't take much to burn out a starter. This happened about three times in two days, cold and hot starts. Then it stopped doing it. About a week later, went to start the car, and the starter motor ran but it did not engage the FW. Swapped it out w/ an autozone unit, so far so good.

I would go ahead and replace it. It's letting you know it's ready for retirement.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi, we had a similar problem in school. It turned out to be the flywheel that was bad. It can make this noise from either the flywheel or the starter gear. Since it only happens once in a while it has to be a chipped tooth on the flywheel, because the starter does a full rotation every time you start. So 99.9% chance you will be replacing a flywheel/flexplate.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Hi, we had a similar problem in school. It turned out to be the flywheel that was bad. It can make this noise from either the flywheel or the starter gear. Since it only happens once in a while it has to be a chipped tooth on the flywheel, because the starter does a full rotation every time you start. So 99.9% chance you will be replacing a flywheel/flexplate.
Could be this too, or it could be a question of cause/effect. For example, in my case, had I let the starter run on, it could have caused a chipped tooth on the ring gear. But you can test this by getting under the car and jumping the starter connections to see if the sound is in the rotation of the flexplate.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM
betyelou
Le Mans Master

Picked up new starter and had installed. Had the flywheel checked, good no teeth damaged. So far starting great, however will not know if this problem is solved because it only happened once in a while.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
betyelou
Le Mans Master

As I posted yesterday had the starter replaced, flywheel checked and tonight when I turned key it fired right up. I get this noise which sounds like the starter is still spinning. Any other thoughts. Car runs strong and smooth at both slow and fast speeds.

Last edited by betyelou; 07-03-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: hit wrong button
Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
kesato
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered new contacts and a plunger from Crank and Charge on Amazon for $12 with free shipping!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter???

Quick Reply: Starter???