C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Jakez89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle

Hey guys I have an 85 corvette that was rebuilt a while ago. Ever since it was rebuilt it has had a really hard time idling right. It seems like it searches from about 430 to 650.

The mods that it has: upgraded cam shaft (fairly high lift), roller rockers, striped down street chip, half dome pistons and an exhaust.

Can anybody think of anything to check or another mod that I should think about to level out idle. It fires right back up when it dies just a bit irritating having to power break at a stop light to get a good idle.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

The one thing you did not mention in your post. After you rebuilt the engine and add the high lift cam, did you have the car re-tuned with a new chip? You indicate a stripped down street chip....what is that? If you did not, then I would guess that this is 90% of your issue with the idle.

One thing you could check is the injector clips. Remove one clip at a time as the engine is running and see if there is any difference in the idle. If it remains the same it MIGHT indicate a bad electrical pulse to that injector. If it gets worse, then I would think that your pulse to that injector is good.

Do you have good fuel pressure?

Last edited by John A. Marker; 06-01-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Jakez89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a bit younger when me and my dad did the rebuild so im not exactly sure what chip it was as my dad did all the research I just helped with the project. Im fairly certain my dad didnt get it tuned. Is that something I can do or do I need to take it to the local tune shop. I would be hesitant to believe it was in the injectors cuzz when I punch it it has no problems. Yes it has great fuel pressure just replaced the pump and tested at 34 psi I believe.

Thank you for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To rough idle

Quick Reply: rough idle