C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT-1 tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default LT-1 tips

Today I cut off the tips from a set of OE LT-1 muffler for my planned cat-back project. I have to say I was quite surprised to see that they are only 2" I.D. I thought they were 2 1/4, but I was wrong - definitely 2".

No wonder the LTx cars respond so well to exhaust changes!

I still have the mufflers and may cut them open as well just to see what they look like inside. Looking in from the ends doesn't look good.....
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to tell you this, but LTx cars don't respond well to exhaust because the factory exhaust is a very free flowing 2.5" system.

The L98 cars do respond to exhaust pretty well. What year car do you have?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eatmydst1234
I hate to tell you this, but LTx cars don't respond well to exhaust because the factory exhaust is a very free flowing 2.5" system.

The L98 cars do respond to exhaust pretty well. What year car do you have?
My signature describes my car. The engine is basically a LTR LT-4, or a 385 hp crate motor, however you want to look at it.

That 2.5" system still goes through a big resonator and restrictive mufflers. Pipe size alone doesn't determine how well a system flows.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:16 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
My signature describes my car. The engine is basically a LTR LT-4, or a 385 hp crate motor, however you want to look at it.

That 2.5" system still goes through a big resonator and restrictive mufflers. Pipe size alone doesn't determine how well a system flows.
I'm on mobile so I can't see your sig. If it is so restrictive why is it a popular upgrade for the pre-ltx cars to upgrade? The mufflers aren't that restrictive just too quiet. The res also isn't that restrictive, unless you are running a lot more power than stock, and it sounds like you have a fairly stout engine.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

My L98 car goes through a single cat and back out through 2 mufflers. Now thats restricted.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:42 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I read a mag article where they put a 1300.00 Stainless exhaust system on a stock LT Vette, long tubes and everything. A gain of 6 HP was the result. I would post it, but it has been a few years. I would say the stock one was pretty good. I suppose there could have been a tune issue, but still.

Last edited by powerpigz-51; 05-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
I read a mag article where they put a 1300.00 Stainless exhaust system on a stock LT Vette, long tubes and everything. A gain of 6 HP was the result. I would post it, but it has been a few years. I would say the stock one was pretty good. I suppose there could have been a tune issue, but still.
I suspect the difference in HP was the LT headers.

How the hell .. I'm confused how does adding fastburn heads and a small LT4 cam make an L98 an LT motor. And you are still arguing that the LT1 exhaust is restrictive..why? where is the proof?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ch@0s
How the hell .. I'm confused how does adding fastburn heads and a small LT4 cam make an L98 an LT motor. And you are still arguing that the LT1 exhaust is restrictive..why? where is the proof?
The cam is a duplicate of the LT-4 cam, the heads use the LT-4 exhaust ports and an improved Vortec port which is based on the LT-4 port. The only difference at that point (to me) is the intake manifold, half a point of compression, and the computer. Granted I have to go through a single cat, but if we're talking engines they're basically the same thing.

I realize I don't have the reverse flow cooling and optispark, but neither of those are power-producing items. The reverse flow cooling was supposed to be to allow for higher compression ratios but that being done with better chambers instead now.

Am I missing something?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

The cam is a duplicate of the LT-4 cam, the heads use the LT-4 exhaust ports and an improved Vortec port which is based on the LT-4 port. The only difference at that point (to me) is the intake manifold, half a point of compression, and the computer. Granted I have to go through a single cat, but if we're talking engines they're basically the same thing.

I realize I don't have the reverse flow cooling and optispark, but neither of those are power-producing items. The reverse flow cooling was supposed to be to allow for higher compression ratios but that being done with better chambers instead now.

Am I missing something?
Yes you are missing an LT engine for one and 2 proof the LT1 exhaust system is restrictive.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Yes you are missing an LT engine for one and 2 proof the LT1 exhaust system is restrictive.
OK, so what you're saying is: If I had a 96 LT-4 car and rebuilt the engine using aftermarket:

crank
rods
cam
heads
rockers
intake
timing set
oil pump
Canton pan

that I'd no longer have an LT-4 - or does the block still make it an LT-4 after all the other parts have been changed out?

And of those parts, which made a power difference aside from the heads, cam and intake - and possibly the rockers?

Tell you what - if I ever hit the Powerball or anything like that just for everyone to finally have real answers I'll buy a few different cars, lots of parts and spend a bunch of time dyno'ing all the different combos so that the whole world will have dyno sheets to back up what does what.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

OK, so what you're saying is: If I had a 96 LT-4 car and rebuilt the engine using aftermarket:

crank
rods
cam
heads
rockers
intake
timing set
oil pump
Canton pan

that I'd no longer have an LT-4 - or does the block still make it an LT-4 after all the other parts have been changed out?

And of those parts, which made a power difference aside from the heads, cam and intake - and possibly the rockers?

Tell you what - if I ever hit the Powerball or anything like that just for everyone to finally have real answers I'll buy a few different cars, lots of parts and spend a bunch of time dyno'ing all the different combos so that the whole world will have dyno sheets to back up what does what.
Look, I get you are proud of your car and I kinda get your reasoning but an LT cam and Vortec heads on a SBC do not an LT4 make. If that is the case then there is no such thing as an LT4 because according to your reasoning its just like a L98 ..right? Or did I miss something and you have a LT block?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I missing something?
The reverse cooling and OPTISPARK..... are the two things that make a LT1/4 (GEN II) different than a GEN I Small block chevy.

MIke
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

crank
rods
cam
heads
rockers
intake
timing set
oil pump
Canton pan

NO

You have a modified "L-98" engine.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

crank
rods
cam
heads
rockers
intake
timing set
oil pump
Canton pan

In this scenario you'd have a modified LT4

MIke
Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

Today I cut off the tips from a set of OE LT-1 muffler for my planned cat-back project. I have to say I was quite surprised to see that they are only 2" I.D. I thought they were 2 1/4, but I was wrong - definitely 2".

No wonder the LTx cars respond so well to exhaust changes!

I still have the mufflers and may cut them open as well just to see what they look like inside. Looking in from the ends doesn't look good.....
I was surprised to see them that small. When I put some different mufflers on my '94 I remember the pipe size was 2 3/4". I didn't realize it necked down to 2" at the tips. I have also heard that the LT exhausts were pretty good, but it sounds like they can be improved.

As for whether people call it an LT1/4 or L98, if it has a similar cam, similar ports, similar intake, and similar exhaust, shouldn't the power be similar too? Actually, I like that an L98 can be upgraded with parts similar to an LT1/4. It seems like a good reliable way to go.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They may be good for the 300 rating. If hes truly making 80 more with his 350 bet he could pick it up some; not a bunch btu some meaning it wouldnt be a wash a 3" collector header would really help
Take the tips to a muffler guy see if it will fit in his expander. Have a set here and wondered the same thing or do some cutting/welding and make them work.

I wont call your 350 any names I dont think it cares.

Last edited by cv67; 05-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM
wingnut96lt4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT TipsNot LT 4

Just my 2 cents My L T 4 has 3" exhaust. I cut the mufflers off and put muffler eliminators on. The pipes I got were 3" all the way back. If you read an artical in this site you can see where stock L T 4s were tested and the H P ran anywhere between 245 to 280 STOCK so this engine according to tune can be all over the block. But an LT4 IS an LT4. You may have a clone [close]
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
They may be good for the 300 rating. If hes truly making 80 more with his 350 bet he could pick it up some; not a bunch btu some meaning it wouldnt be a wash a 3" collector header would really help
Take the tips to a muffler guy see if it will fit in his expander. Have a set here and wondered the same thing or do some cutting/welding and make them work.

I wont call your 350 any names I dont think it cares.

My plan at this point is to run 2.5" into them but instead of expanding them (which I think would just split the steel or the welds) I want to run the tube directly into the "upper" part of the taper above the 2" opening. I'll use the bottom of the 2" as the starting point, then open it up from there. It's kind of hard to describe, but when the time comes to start fabbing it up I'll post pics and that will make a lot more sense.

Get notified of new replies

To LT-1 tips

Quick Reply: LT-1 tips