C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

J55 Brake option just the front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GKK
I use AC Delco Rotors, Hawk HPS pads and Goodridge Stainless brake lines.
Added to my list and thanks. Do you know anything about Lone Star Calipers? They rebuild calipers and sleeve them with stainless steel.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:55 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Do you know anything about Lone Star Calipers? They rebuild calipers and sleeve them with stainless steel.
I've never had to rebuild my calipers so, I haven't heard of Lone Star Calipers. I have the GS Calipers which are Black with the Corvette Lettering on the side of the caliper.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GKK
I've never had to rebuild my calipers so, I haven't heard of Lone Star Calipers. I have the GS Calipers which are Black with the Corvette Lettering on the side of the caliper.
GS? I assume Grand Sport Calipers? Here we go again. How do they differ from what i have?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:18 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

GS? I assume Grand Sport Calipers? Here we go again. How do they differ from what i have?
GS or Grand Sport calipers are the slightly heavier duty version of the J55 calipers. The GS calipers have the corvette lettering on the side of the calipers and look sportier.

I just mentioned it because that's what I have. Since you're staying with the 12" JL9 calipers, you don't need to worry about it.

Last edited by GKK; 05-22-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...duction+Brakes
Old 05-22-2013, 02:15 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Since the j55 uses the same pad as the jl9 the only diff must be in the heat transfer, correct?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Since the j55 uses the same pad as the jl9 the only diff must be in the heat transfer, correct?
Not actually but they do share the same pad surface area, the rotor dimension is larger in both diameter and thickness so that would seem to indicate yes BUT the calipers are more substantial and don't flex so it's actually substantially a better braking experience than that with the 12" rotors. The braking surface is also moved to a larger diameter of the rotor mass. The clamping force I guess you would say is substantially greater with the J55. Way more than heat transfer. Seldom ever mentioned but "tires" have a substantial effect on the braking experience, braking is actually quite sophisticated.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-22-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Not actually but they do share the same pad surface area, the rotor dimension is larger in both diameter and thickness so that would seem to indicate yes BUT the calipers are more substantial and don't flex so it's actually substantially a better braking experience than that with the 12" rotors. The braking surface is also moved to a larger diameter of the rotor mass. The clamping force I guess you would say is substantially greater with the J55. Way more than heat transfer. Seldom ever mentioned but "tires" have a substantial effect on the braking experience, braking is actually quite sophisticated.
The Big Plus to a larger Diameter Rotor is; "Leverage" it would take less hydraulic pressure to obtain the same Braking results. Thus, less effort.

Quick Reply: J55 Brake option just the front?