C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any downside to owning a zr-1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 01:34 AM
xzvs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any downside to owning a zr-1?

Was wondering if the zr-1's had any inherent probs --(engine changes every 20k miles etc) that one would need to worry about. Would like to move up to one, one day, and would like to know that I am going to the poorhouse with a reasonably dependable car. I am a master tech so , there isn't a whole lot I cant fix on any car myself. My buddy back home had several vettes including a zr and fell on hard times, he asked if I wanted to buy the zr, and I almost morgaged everything for that one--he got back on his feet tho and decided to keep it. If I get one it would need to be a daily driver as I dont believe in trailer queens.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:38 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (xzvs)

I want one also, I think the hardest part would be getting parts. I haven't heard any horror stories yet.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:44 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (Mr Mojo)

I agree... the engines are super reliable... except expensive if they break, and there are not a lot of trained techs to work on them...

Old 06-23-2002, 01:45 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think getting some parts and cost are the biggest problems. Go to some of the discount parts dealers and look up ZR1 parts to get an idea of what you might have to spend on parts.

Old 06-23-2002, 02:00 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The engine itself is prolly more reliable than our own. Very good car for a daily driver. Plus you can take almost everything on the road.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:30 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Was wondering if the zr-1's had any inherent probs --(engine changes every 20k miles etc) that one would need to worry about. Would like to move up to one, one day, and would like to know that I am going to the poorhouse with a reasonably dependable car. I am a master tech so , there isn't a whole lot I cant fix on any car myself. My buddy back home had several vettes including a zr and fell on hard times, he asked if I wanted to buy the zr, and I almost morgaged everything for that one--he got back on his feet tho and decided to keep it. If I get one it would need to be a daily driver as I dont believe in trailer queens.
I had ZR-1 fever too. Actually, I went to this years ZR-1/C4 Gathering in Bowling Green to maybe buy one.

It's a fantastic car out of the box and even better modified. However, the problems I see with it are the parts availability. You can get just about anything you might need for this car (except the solar winshield) from most places or the net. Be prepared to pay lots more for them in general. However, what I heard down in BG was that body panels are getting hard to find even mores o than just regular mechanical pieces. There's a guy on the forum (handle is limey) who can get you just about everything for the ZR-1.

In terms of fixing it, I don't know if you really need a super-ZR-1-tech to fix things on it, but I'd highly recommend asking questions in the ZR-1 forum. Those guys are great at helping out and most of the problems you'll ever have, they have already had. The forum is a great resource for all Corvette owners, but especially more helpful when dealing with a rare car like the Z.

If you want to read about the car and things to look out for when buying one, check out Dave "Mom" Bright's http://www.zr1.net site. He has a great FAQ section. The LT5 registry http://www.lt5registry.com is also another good resource for information.

Good luck if you decide to do it. You won't be disappointed. There's just a few hurdles you'll have to be willing to jump to own one.

Ron
Old 06-23-2002, 04:21 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The problems that I've heard are; there are only about 6 qualified mechanics to do any work on them, about 12K for a complete rebuild, over 250# heavier in the nose than a stock vette, the guides for the timing chains need modifying or will wear out quickly, and two-bolt main engines until '93.

The reason I decided against one is that since I've heard that they have less torque than a stock L-98 since their crank is only 3.48" like a stock vette. Also, anytime you buy an older car even with low miles you are prone to have oil and water leaks. I don't care how well the vehicle was taken care of the rubber will deteriorate over time and then you get leakage. How many $$$ will it cost to have all the pending leaks and maintenance taken care of in the future??? I figure one can build a super L-98 for many less $ than a stock ZR-1 and be much faster also. The resale value will never have the resale value of a ZR-1 but will be much more fun and much easier to work on when things break. This is the reason that Calloway built the twin-turbo's to compete and beat the ZR-1 and to do it simpler with less maintenance costs.
The following users liked this post:
98vettemann (07-11-2017)
Old 06-23-2002, 09:07 AM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Having a mechanically inclined friend with a Modded Zr-1 (with callaway aerobody) The hardest thing about working on one is realising it's just a motor!

They're an EXCELLENTLY designed one, but it's a lot like working on other motors (if you're truly a master mechanic.) His biggest scare came when replacing the oil pan seal...the oil pickup slipped. I figured he'd cause some serious damage when he saw 0 oil pressure on fireup... :U

OTher than that, the motor can be painful to work on. You haven't earned your striped till you've R&R'd the starter or coilpaks, both of which are in the lifter valley.

The hardest thing to come across, I've heard, is replacement cams. One of the reasons Pirate racing stopped campaigning their Zr-1 was the unavailability of cam blanks to make a hotter cam for ther car. (Not a problem you're likely to have.)

Oh yeah, they may not have the same torque as the L98, but they've got nearly DOUBLE the range to build power. (pull to 7000 vs done at 4500) Pitted against an L98, whoever nails the launch will pull a foot or two ahead...and then the Zr-1 will walk the L98 in fairly short order.

Build up an L98 and you still have an L98. Buy and maintain a Zr-1 and you've got a historical 'King of the Hill'.

[Modified by RocketSled, 6:10 AM 6/23/2002]
Old 06-23-2002, 09:23 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (BlackRocket)

and two-bolt main engines until '93.
But: It's not like a standard SBC...it has a complete girdle structure for the main caps in the first place....making it a LOT stronger than even a 4 bolt SBC.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:12 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

> over 250# heavier in the nose than a stock vette

I my books this is the main problem, you must be a heck of a driver to beat stock LT-1:s on a twisty road course if the other guy knows how to drive. Its like a big block in a C4 -type of a situation. Very fast in a straight line but more difficult when it gets twisty.

I think there isn't many ZR-1's that are succesfull in autocrosses or road course racing, are there?

Not a big problem though, would buy one instantly if I had the money - early ZR-1's are like $60K here :D

ToniH
Old 06-23-2002, 11:39 AM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (ToniH)

> over 250# heavier in the nose than a stock vette

I my books this is the main problem, you must be a heck of a driver to beat stock LT-1:s on a twisty road course if the other guy knows how to drive. Its like a big block in a C4 -type of a situation. Very fast in a straight line but more difficult when it gets twisty.

I think there isn't many ZR-1's that are succesfull in autocrosses or road course racing, are there?

Not a big problem though, would buy one instantly if I had the money - early ZR-1's are like $60K here :D

ToniH
They are only about 100 #s heavier, not 250. and they handle quite well on a road course. The wider rear helps them keep the back end planted coming out of turns.

And who wins in a road course event is ALWAYS driver. Check my sig to watch a mustang cobra, a Z06, and a boxter all get passed on the same lap :D
Old 06-23-2002, 11:59 AM
xzvs
Instructor

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (RocketSled)

Wow --thanks for the info --I'll be shopping around and if one comes in with a good price and financing I will jump on it. I am "truly a master technician" ,and have been doing it full time for 18 years. I worked on Renaults for a living for 7 of those years, so I am no stranger to "different" designs. I worked chrysler dealers for 14 years, and no darn it never made it to Viper school --only "dodge dealers" got viper school :mad and even then only one guy got to go from each dealer. So, there was no sneaking over to dodge just to get the school.

P.S. to those of you math guys who are saying hey!! 14 years plus 7 with Renualt is 21. I started at Amc/Jeep/Renualt in 84 --chrysler bought Jeep and Renualt in 87 and we were stuck servicing renaults till bout 91.

[Modified by xzvs, 8:04 AM 6/23/2002]
Old 06-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Red94Vette
Racer

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (91mongoose)

91mongoose,

Texas World Speedway rules. :lol:
Old 06-23-2002, 12:28 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

This is the reason that Calloway built the twin-turbo's to compete and beat the ZR-1 and to do it simpler with less maintenance costs.
I'm not necessarily disputing the other facts that you posted about, but this one is incorrect. The B2K Twin Turbo option started in 87 and the first ZR-1 never hit the streets until 1990 MY. If anything, the ZR-1 ruined the B2K Twin Turbo because it had corporate advertising money behind it, and the dealers didn't have to pay for the ZR-1 upfront whereas they had to pay the B2K cost upfront.

Ron
Old 06-23-2002, 12:37 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (RocketSled)

Having a mechanically inclined friend with a Modded Zr-1 (with callaway aerobody) The hardest thing about working on one is realising it's just a motor!

The hardest thing to come across, I've heard, is replacement cams. One of the reasons Pirate racing stopped campaigning their Zr-1 was the unavailability of cam blanks to make a hotter cam for ther car. (Not a problem you're likely to have.)

Oh yeah, they may not have the same torque as the L98, but they've got nearly DOUBLE the range to build power. (pull to 7000 vs done at 4500) Pitted against an L98, whoever nails the launch will pull a foot or two ahead...and then the Zr-1 will walk the L98 in fairly short order.

Build up an L98 and you still have an L98. Buy and maintain a Zr-1 and you've got a historical 'King of the Hill'.
Was your friend at this years Gathering? There was a sweet ZR-1 with a Lingenfelter 415 motor and a Callaway Aerobody. Nice car!

Cam Blanks are available from Aaron Scott at South Georgia Corvettes. Seems as if he's taken over the role of the big ZR-1 tuner from Lingenfelter. LPE seems to be very much into the TT scene now. The bigger problem than just the blanks is their cost, about $3500.

In terms of power, the ZR-1 is slower off the line than the L98, but that's where it ends. Once the ZR-1 gets warmed up (maybe about 3000RPM when the secondaries kick in), the L98 is done.

Ron
Old 06-23-2002, 01:49 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (91mongoose)

> They are only about 100 #s heavier, not 250.

According to Corvette Fever dec '97:

"...LT5 adds approx 300 pounds to the front...altough the larger rear tires offer visual reassurance of more traction, this is mostly beneficial during controlled acceleration....the ZR-1 can transition from understeer to oversteer so quickly it will completely surprise most drivers..."

I am not saying that ZR-1 is not fast - not me :D. I am just saying you need to be better driver in the wheel of ZR-1 than L98/LT-1/LT-4 if you want to go very fast (near the limit). The lighter cars have better weight balance and thus are easier to drive into corners. Of course when one learns to drive ZR-1 (or any sports car) properly you can be very fast.

> And who wins in a road course event is ALWAYS driver

I know, once on race track I easily stayed for several laps with 550hp race prepped C3 and I was driving a 130hp Fiat Uno race car. On straights he pulled away a lot but in the corners I was in his rear bumber again, then he made a mistake and I passed him. He never caught me again. That was all driver - nothing else. With a better driver that car was capable of being 10-15 sec per lap faster than me - lucky for me that better driver was driving something else that day ;)

ToniH
Old 06-23-2002, 01:54 PM
RocketSled
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (RonRed89)

Was your friend at this years Gathering? There was a sweet ZR-1 with a Lingenfelter 415 motor and a Callaway Aerobody. Nice car!Ron
Nope, his is stuck in Denver, it's Yellow, and one of at least two that we know exist (the other has dual front calipers). It's got headers and some intake work done (extrud hone and an isolator plate) but I think is otherwise untouched . Sure is hella stout! Even at Denver altitudes.

Get notified of new replies

To Any downside to owning a zr-1?

Old 06-23-2002, 02:22 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any downside to owning a zr-1? (ToniH)

According to Corvette Fever dec '97:

"...LT5 adds approx 300 pounds to the front...altough the larger rear tires offer visual reassurance of more traction, this is mostly beneficial during controlled acceleration....the ZR-1 can transition from understeer to oversteer so quickly it will completely surprise most drivers..."
I wonder where they got that information? The whole car only weighs about 150 more than a base C4, and its got wider bodywork and heavier rear wheels to boot. And unlike the Z06, no weight reduction efforts were made. The LT5 weighs about 550 pounds fully dressed. There is no way an LTx or L98 weighs 250 pounds, not with an iron block.

Not arguing with you, just with your source :)

I am not saying that ZR-1 is not fast - not me :D. I am just saying you need to be better driver in the wheel of ZR-1 than L98/LT-1/LT-4 if you want to go very fast (near the limit). The lighter cars have better weight balance and thus are easier to drive into corners. Of course when one learns to drive ZR-1 (or any sports car) properly you can be very fast.
True. Unfortuantely I never see normal C4s at the events I go to. It's mostly Z06es, 1 other ZR-1, and a couple of C5 coupes along with the porsches, mustangs, vipers, etc.

:cheers:
Old 06-23-2002, 02:35 PM
CL
Instructor

I had a friend with zr-1 and he had a few problems like an oil blowing out at high rmp's. Turn out to be a problem caused by the local Chevy dealer using a wrong part. He also had the starter go out and it cost him $600 to get it fix. The car looked nice and was fast. At the time I had a 79 corvette with alot of mod's (dyno rwhp at 300) and he was faster than me. Now the sad part! The car was hit by an old lady and it took 8 months to get it repaired. They Insurance company did not want to total it out, so the GM Dealer had to do a total frame off repair with oringnal GM parts. The engine and drivetrain were not hurt and it still cost the insurance copany $40,000 to repair. It was never the same after that, so it traded it in on a 4X4 truck dually.
Old 06-23-2002, 03:07 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Renualts???? You sure paid your pennance...

A little detail... Renault was trying to buy AMC, and in fact, held 49% of AMC at one point. Renault was getting into some big money problems which allowed Chrysler to buy AMC. Chrysler then ended up with a Renault designed sedan, which became the Eagle Premier and the Dodge Monoco. The reason Chrysler used it was simple, the car was nearly 100% designed, and they did'nt want to ditch a new chassis... kinda makes sence until we realize exactly how crappy the cars were!!!!!

Quick Reply: Any downside to owning a zr-1?