C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 - funny rear right wheel sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM
MZee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 - funny rear right wheel sound

Hi, with nothing turned on , when I roll up to a red light, I hear a little sound in the rear wheek, each revolution it sounds like a tiny rubbing sound, maybe a wheel bearing, is that what you think it is?
How serious is this?Just srarted and I hardly drive it, sunny days only!
Also, what is this, cutting the louvers with regards to increasing air intake?I have been told not to bother with a k N Air filter or vortex intake, or change the throttle body, just cut louvers.does that end up increasing the chances of water coming into the filter?
MZee
Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

yes
VERY
no

FWIW

the K&N will save you money since you wash it and re-use it. I throw mine in the washer sometimes...
K&N breaths better. Cutting every other bar off the air filter lid will let more air thru. the Nose has a series of baffles to keep water out.

WHo-ever told you not to bother with some of this was not a Vette owner...the K&N pays for itself and DOES help with air flow.

A 52mm TB on a L98 when you do exhaust at the same time WILL get you a quicker revving engine.

The so called cold air intake is pure gimmick...stay clear of those $350 junk parts. People that say they do something are going by placebo effect. The "box" says it adds 12 hp...so they believe it. The ONLY truth in cold air intakes and things like vortex toys is that the guy selling them has YOUR money for these costly parts that do nothing for a semi stock engine. If your car goes faster its because your wallet is lighter... !
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by leesvet
yes
VERY
no

FWIW

the K&N will save you money since you wash it and re-use it. I throw mine in the washer sometimes...
K&N breaths better. Cutting every other bar off the air filter lid will let more air thru. the Nose has a series of baffles to keep water out.

WHo-ever told you not to bother with some of this was not a Vette owner...the K&N pays for itself and DOES help with air flow.

A 52mm TB on a L98 when you do exhaust at the same time WILL get you a quicker revving engine.

The so called cold air intake is pure gimmick...stay clear of those $350 junk parts. People that say they do something are going by placebo effect. The "box" says it adds 12 hp...so they believe it. The ONLY truth in cold air intakes and things like vortex toys is that the guy selling them has YOUR money for these costly parts that do nothing for a semi stock engine. If your car goes faster its because your wallet is lighter... !
Well, thank you, I shall go out and buy the K and N, get the rear right wheel looked at, it is barely noticable and just started happenening,
ugh, don;t want big repair bill on something that doesn't make it look better or go faster, smoother!
MZee
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MZee
Well, thank you, I shall go out and buy the K and N, get the rear right wheel looked at, it is barely noticable and just started happenening,
ugh, don;t want big repair bill on something that doesn't make it look better or go faster, smoother!
MZee
When you get the bearing checked, go to someone who knows these cars. If it does need a rear bearing, they can be pricey, so check some of the forum vendors first.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
When you get the bearing checked, go to someone who knows these cars. If it does need a rear bearing, they can be pricey, so check some of the forum vendors first.
Thanks! But the sound sounds like the beginning of a bearing noise, ever so slight.
If the radio was on or even the fan, I wouldn;t notice it.
Mzee
Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
MZee
Instructor

Thanks! But the sound sounds like the beginning of a bearing noise, ever so slight.
If the radio was on or even the fan, I wouldn;t notice it.
Mzee
The sound went away, I guess it was sitting and alittle rust developed on the rotor or something.
After driving it, the sound is gone, weird.If it returns I guess a wheel bearing is the issue,
Mzee
Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My prior '88 developed a "clicking" in the RR on acceleration. When I pulled the wheel/tire and rotated the rotor I could see slight rotation of the half-shaft w/o any rotation of the diff shaft==U-joint.

I ran a K&N in the prior Vette and in this one too. This time I just picked up a used AF lid and cut out all the louvers for added air flow. This mod IS worth ~10chp gain.

You can pick up another "free" 10chp gain by tossing that "frisbee" disc from front of your WP pulley. This too was verified in trap speed increase.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Well, thank you, I shall go out and buy the K and N, get the rear right wheel looked at, it is barely noticable and just started happening,
MZ,
Don't waste the money on a K&N or any other snake-oil. If you plan on keeping the car, use only a high quality paper filter. The others just let more dirt into your engine. L98's do NOT have a restrictive air intake path. Read this:
http://www.getdieselpower.com/my04do...r_Testing.html

Mick
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 PM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
MZ,
Don't waste the money on a K&N or any other snake-oil. If you plan on keeping the car, use only a high quality paper filter. The others just let more dirt into your engine. L98's do NOT have a restrictive air intake path. Read this:
http://www.getdieselpower.com/my04do...r_Testing.html

Mick
Wow, that's some test, looks complicated but seems a Baldwin or ACDelco paper filter will do, cut the louvers and you are god to go!
Thanks,I think I read it right.No K and N

MZee
Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

That is just one of many tests involving the K&N type filters and the huge amount of dirt they pass until they are very dirty.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

The half shaft uni joints are the most likely place the noise is coming from. Raise the rear of the car and get underneath, slowly rotate the half shaft and listen for any click or squeaking noises.
Usually the outer one goes first (the one closest to the brakes), on average I tend to replace my half shaft uni joints every 4 years, all the power goes thru them and they take a beating. Naturally replace all four as the others wont be much better.

The wheel bearings should do a good 150,000 to 200,000 miles, i have my originals in my 85 vette that has done 175,000 miles.
(I hear the aftermarket wheel bearings are pretty bad from the stories i have seen on this forum), so get a well known brand if it turns out to be a wheel bearing.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM
MZee
Instructor

Originally Posted by gerardvg
The half shaft uni joints are the most likely place the noise is coming from. Raise the rear of the car and get underneath, slowly rotate the half shaft and listen for any click or squeaking noises.
Usually the outer one goes first (the one closest to the brakes), on average I tend to replace my half shaft uni joints every 4 years, all the power goes thru them and they take a beating. Naturally replace all four as the others wont be much better.

The wheel bearings should do a good 150,000 to 200,000 miles, i have my originals in my 85 vette that has done 175,000 miles.
(I hear the aftermarket wheel bearings are pretty bad from the stories i have seen on this forum), so get a well known brand if it turns out to be a wheel bearing.
Well, the sound is only when brakes are aplied slowing to a stop, so it's a spot on the rotor ,rear right only.
If I get the rotor machined or replaced, that solves it.
Thanks very much!
MZee
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If it turns out that you need a rear wheel bearing, I have one that you can have for $50 + shipping. Can send you pics if you need it and are interested.

P.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM
MZee
Instructor

Hi, I still do not get when I cut the louvers on the air intake tomorrow morning, this long weekend! I wont get water leaking right into throttle body and engine when it rains?
MZee
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Paper filters absorb the water and should be changed after they get wet.
The cotton or foam filters perform better in wet conditions. Your air filter does not get direct rain water so unless you are in a huge downour and your hood is open, don't worry about it.
I'm getting a mesh cover for my filter soon but I don't drive it much in the rain. http://tinyurl.com/k99cyev

Mick
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM
MZee
Instructor

[QUOTE=QZRBLU;1583949935]Paper filters absorb the water and should be changed after they get wet.
The cotton or foam filters perform better in wet conditions. Your air filter does not get direct rain water so unless you are in a huge downour and your hood is open, don't worry about it.
I'm getting a mesh cover for my filter soon but I don't drive it much in the rain. [url]http://tinyurl.com/k99cyev[/url
Hi there. Thanks. I looked up the eBay filter for 55.00. Where does that go? Take the louvers off? Put a paper filter in front?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=MZee;1583959221]
Originally Posted by QZRBLU
Paper filters absorb the water and should be changed after they get wet.
I'm getting a mesh cover for my filter soon but I don't drive it much in the rain. [url]http://tinyurl.com/k99cyev[/url
Hi there. Thanks. I looked up the eBay filter for 55.00. Where does that go? Take the louvers off? Put a paper filter in front?

Go back and read it again that is a cover for your filter, it replaces your stock louvered cover.

Last edited by QZRBLU; 05-21-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 - funny rear right wheel sound

Quick Reply: 1990 - funny rear right wheel sound