C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electrically challenged '87

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrically challenged '87

Hey all..New to the forum and new to 'vettes
I bought an 87 that needed some TLC.
Bulbs burned out, radio not working...simple stuff.
when I pulled the info center out I found that I was not alone in the car.. Mouse nest with dead occupant filled the void behind the radio and info center panel. I repaired all of the wires that were chewed on as well as the silicone hoses for the heater controls.
I replaced the bulbs in the main cluster and in the info center as well as the turn signal and hazard flasher units...all working fine. I did find that the 15a security fuse was blown and replaced it as well.
My dilemnas are: 1)when i turn on the headlight switch to either park lights or headlights, both turn signal lights illuminate in the dash display and will not blink when using the turn signal lever. When I shut the headlight switch off everything works as it should.
2)I had the battery hooked up, doors closed, rear hatch and hood open, key in the off position, and the horn button and wire removed from the steering wheel, and the horns just started blowing!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

Doing more research I found out the car had been sitting outside, untouched, in the Pacific NW for the better part of a year. The weatherstripping is poor in most spots and gone in a few other spots. I am guessing that moisture got in the car and starting working its magic on metal components.

Could a bad ECM be causing some of the problems? I am thinking now I have more corrosion issues than wiring issues.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Definetly a wiring problem...suspect mouse got at something you haven't found....but the ECM is not the problem as far as lights or horn goes!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

I have gutted the dash and checked all the wires i could touch under and behind the dash.

I have not opened up the doors or traced any of the wires going to the rear of the car...will try that next.

Mice have no respect..and dont communicate very well as to their whereabouts...Hey..Maybe it was a teenage mouse!

Thanks for the tip on the ECM...
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Keystring
Drifting

You may have a ground issue.

I would check the ground connections going to the bolt on the bell-housing, drivers side.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

Keystring great call...thanks
I pulled the battery and found that both ground wires(battery and ground strap were pretty bad. I cleaned them up and then started moving to every ground I could find...then I got to the passenger side ground inside the car. There is a ground bolt at the kick panel...3 ground wires connected and 1 was cut. I removed the upper knee pad and plastic cover looking for the "other end" of the ground wire and found nothing.

If anyone can tell me how many ground wires are supposed to be connected at this bolt I would really appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

I have checked all of the grounds that I can find:
L side by horn
L side by power steering res.
L side behind battery - neg. batt. cable and ground strap to engine
I couldn't get to the bolt on engine, but all connections are tight
L side behind interior kick panel
R side by horn
R side behind interior kick panel

Everything cleaned and tightened but my turn signal arrows still illuminate when the parking lights or headlights are turned on.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM
envirotrans
Instructor

Check the bulbs in all outside lights a bad bulb can short inside itself to ground, a park light filament to the turn light or turn to park.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by gliderdad
I have checked all of the grounds that I can find:
L side by horn
L side by power steering res.
L side behind battery - neg. batt. cable and ground strap to engine
I couldn't get to the bolt on engine, but all connections are tight
L side behind interior kick panel
R side by horn
R side behind interior kick panel

Everything cleaned and tightened but my turn signal arrows still illuminate when the parking lights or headlights are turned on.

Any other thoughts?
There are also two ground connections on the frame: one just in front of the battery and there is a corresponding one on the passenger side in the same place.

Probably not related to your problem, but there are also two grounds on the pillars behind the seats (near the rear compartment lights).
Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
gliderdad
Intermediate

Problems finally located...!!!

Envirotrans...Great call on the outside lights...Here is what I found:

1) The left front turn signal socket had a broken ground tab inside. The factory dielectric grease was holding it in place, making hard to find until I turned the connector upside down and it just fell out.
2) The right front turn signal socket had a broken connector on the ground wire that attaches to the socket. Ground wire finally popped out when messing with the socket.
3) The right side turn signal had the bulb dangling from the metal base which was my short.
4) The horn issue was nothing more than a sticky relay. Pulled the relay apart, gave a little bend to the contact tab on the plunger...and walla..horn power feed now fixed.

The bad news is both horns honked their last honk and now just kind of wheez ... Anyone have a good set of horns for an 87?

Get notified of new replies

To Electrically challenged '87

Quick Reply: Electrically challenged '87