C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel injector clip needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 PM
mitcher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel injector clip needed?

Hello guys, recently I have replaced all the 8 fuel injectors of my 88 Corvette. When doing so, the mechanic saw that one of the injectors did not have his metal clip (the round metallic piece that holds the injector to the fuel rail). I mean, the clip never was there.

I told te mechanic to finish the job and let the new Bosch III injectors like the old ones, this is 7 with the clip and only one without it.

I have read different opinions, from people that says the clips are not necessary to other ones that recommend them. In my case, the injector without the clip is about one or two milimeters (sorry, spaniard here) lower than the other ones, I mean, is a little bit more inserted into the engine hole.

For the moment, no leaks and no issues. I have tried to push up the injector and maybe use some little metallic piece to hold it like the others, but the injetor does not move easily and seems very well fixed.

So, should I force this injector a little bit to align it with the others? Or it is better to let it as is at the moment? Are the clips necessary to prevent any problem?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I spoke with Jon at FIC about this. He said there is no need to use them. They were only used to keep the injectors from falling out of the fuel rails at the factory. The rails with the installed fuel injectors came from overhead on an assembly line/belt. The clips just kept things together during their trip to the intake assembly area.
You still need to use the D-shaped clips that secure the connecters to the fuel injector though.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:24 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

They are completely unnecessary. The B-III are shorter that the stock inj so the rail itself holds them sandwiched between the rail and the manifold.

As long as you "seated" the new inj in their new o-rings...they can't go anywhere. DO NOT be tempted to twist them once seated...thats how you start car-b-ques from failed o-rings damaged from being twisted while compressed.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by mitcher
Hello guys, recently I have replaced all the 8 fuel injectors of my 88 Corvette. When doing so, the mechanic saw that one of the injectors did not have his metal clip (the round metallic piece that holds the injector to the fuel rail). I mean, the clip never was there.

I told te mechanic to finish the job and let the new Bosch III injectors like the old ones, this is 7 with the clip and only one without it.

I have read different opinions, from people that says the clips are not necessary to other ones that recommend them. In my case, the injector without the clip is about one or two milimeters (sorry, spaniard here) lower than the other ones, I mean, is a little bit more inserted into the engine hole.

For the moment, no leaks and no issues. I have tried to push up the injector and maybe use some little metallic piece to hold it like the others, but the injetor does not move easily and seems very well fixed.

So, should I force this injector a little bit to align it with the others? Or it is better to let it as is at the moment? Are the clips necessary to prevent any problem?

Thanks!
You can get new clips, see the link below.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F

I have bosch 3 injectors and needed the clips, had fuel squirt past the o rings of a couple(at the top of injector below fuel rail). The injectors are only slightly shorter and get forced down further into the intake manifold by the fuel pressure.
Needed the clips to hold the injectors onto the fuel rail, but note i am running high fuel pressures. 45 psi idle and around 30 psi on top of that, as the boost rises the fuel pressure rises also.

You may be ok with standard fuel pressures, but make sure you always use new o rings every time you refit an injector.
Fuel leaks will burn a vette to the ground in no time.

Last edited by gerardvg; 05-05-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM
mitcher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
They are completely unnecessary. The B-III are shorter that the stock inj so the rail itself holds them sandwiched between the rail and the manifold.

As long as you "seated" the new inj in their new o-rings...they can't go anywhere. DO NOT be tempted to twist them once seated...thats how you start car-b-ques from failed o-rings damaged from being twisted while compressed.
But, if they are shorter (in fact they are), is it not logical to thing that they will be less sandwiched?

So you recommend me to not touch it a bit... I am tempted, you are right, since I fear that it can fall some day, although my fuel pressure is regular (24).
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clips are Unnecessary...

The Bosch III's are modified by Jon at FIC, with Two O-Rings at the bottom of the Injectors to compensate for the length.

To install the Bosch III injectors, the injectors are First seated into the Intake Manifold then, the fuel rail is pushed onto the top of the injectors and then bolted down onto the fuel rail posts.

Another company also, modifies the Bosch III injectors but uses a machined aluminum end cap design that I don't prefer.

Also, I noticed on FIC's web site that the newer Bosch III 22lb. TPI injectors (Grey color), are now Exact Fit but, you might want to contact Jon just to make sure.

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sh...p?productid=46

Last edited by GKK; 05-05-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I broke a clip and just put everything back together without it. I figured the injectors can't go anywhere, as they're captive between the fuel rail and the intake manifold. Fuel sprayed out at the top of the injector where it goes into the fuel rail. I tried prying the injector up into the fuel rail but couldn't stop the fuel leak until I bought a new clip at the dealer.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I broke a clip and just put everything back together without it. Fuel sprayed out at the top of the injector where it goes into the fuel rail.
The fuel injector O-Ring was old or the fuel injector itself was not seated Correctly in the fuel rail.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by GKK
The fuel injector O-Ring was old or the fuel injector itself was not seated Correctly in the fuel rail.
I dispute that analysis, as the same O-ring was used with the clip and it's still there today, at least 5 years later and not leaking. Since then I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and reused those O-rings. Still not leaking.

As I stated in my earlier post, I pried the injector upward as far as it would go and it still leaked. The fuel rail was bolted down to the intake manifold, so there is not much room for movement there.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
GKK
Safety Car

I dispute that analysis, as the same O-ring was used with the clip and it's still there today, at least 5 years later and not leaking.
The O-Rings are Old and have Shrunken and lost Elasticity, which is why you need the clip to force the o-ring higher up in the fuel rail to seal.

Install New O-Rings and you won't need the clips anymore and also, save your Vette from a catastrophic Fire!...
Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by GKK
Install New O-Rings and you won't need the clips anymore and also, save your Vette from a catastrophic Fire!...
I had the catastrophic fire when my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptured. Not fun and a big pain to fix everything.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...with-fire.html
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

I dispute that analysis, as the same O-ring was used with the clip and it's still there today, at least 5 years later and not leaking. Since then I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and reused those O-rings. Still not leaking.

As I stated in my earlier post, I pried the injector upward as far as it would go and it still leaked. The fuel rail was bolted down to the intake manifold, so there is not much room for movement there.
Well i dispute the dispute (no offense depends on the injectors)

My bosch 3 injectors had brand new o rings (correct size) and leaked from the fuel rail, (the original injectors had the body hit the manifold so they could not be forced down further) the Bosch 3 are narrow and can fit into the manifold recess for the injectors, the o rings on the injector do not fully bottom into the intake manifold.

The fuel pressure forced the injector down further into the intake manifold. I did not want to modify the studs to get the fuel rail to sit lower, that may solve the problem but the clips worked great.

I would recommend people bolt down the fuel rail and pressure test then assemble the TPI runners etc after all looks good.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Well i dispute the dispute (no offense depends on the injectors)

My bosch 3 injectors had brand new o rings (correct size) and leaked from the fuel rail, (the original injectors had the body hit the manifold so they could not be forced down further) the Bosch 3 are narrow and can fit into the manifold recess for the injectors, the o rings on the injector do not fully bottom into the intake .
I installed Bosch III injectors in my 91 Vette from Jon at FIC and had Zero fuel leaks.

The injectors are seated fully in the intake manifold and the fuel rail was bolted on top. I then connected the fuel line and pressurized the fuel lines. No fuel leaks.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
GKK
Safety Car

I had the catastrophic fire when my fuel pressure regulator diaphragm ruptured. Not fun and a big pain to fix everything.
And still, you Reuse old O-Rings!...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mitcher
But, if they are shorter (in fact they are), is it not logical to thing that they will be less sandwiched?

So you recommend me to not touch it a bit... I am tempted, you are right, since I fear that it can fall some day, although my fuel pressure is regular (24).
Fuel pressure needs to be around 40. At 24, you have a problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GKK
I installed Bosch III injectors in my 91 Vette from Jon at FIC and had Zero fuel leaks.

The injectors are seated fully in the intake manifold and the fuel rail was bolted on top. I then connected the fuel line and pressurized the fuel lines. No fuel leaks.
Did FIC fit 2 o rings on the bottom of the injectors as i have read on other posts so they keep the injectors from sinking further into the manifold, that must be needed due the the bosch injectors being slightly shorter?

As i mentioned earlier the standard multec injectors have a thick body that bottoms onto the manifold so they cannot pop out the fuel rail even without the clips.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Did FIC fit 2 o rings on the bottom of the injectors as i have read on other posts so they keep the injectors from sinking further into the manifold, that must be needed due the the bosch injectors being slightly shorter?
Yes, the Bosch III injectors from FIC have 2 O-Rings on the bottom of the injector and 1 O-Ring on the top.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector clip needed?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the clip . It will mane allí your injertos fit at the some high . Also will prevent the top part going to deep into the fuel rail . With time eventualy you may Have a fuel leak because of this
Old 05-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Originally Posted by GKK
And still, you Reuse old O-Rings!...
I believe they're the originals. I don't recall replacing them. They were just fine when I took the fuel rails apart.

I don't understand the "dried out". That would imply that some liquid something came out or evaporated and is no longer there. What would that liquid be and how would that happen?

Maybe it's because my car has always been garaged and I live in California, but I just don't see the deterioration that I've seen on other people's cars. For example, my gas tank was perfectly clean inside where many others have complained about rust and dirt. For another example, check this thread I just replied to:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...sun-visor.html
Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
GKK
Safety Car

I don't understand the "dried out". That would imply that some liquid something came out or evaporated and is no longer there. What would that liquid be and how would that happen?
The same way your Fuel Pressure Regulator Diaphragm ruptured.

Age has a lot to do with it. Your Vette is 27 years old!

Components lose elasticity, shrink and crack over time especially when subjected to High under hood temps!...

Just like your skin...

Quick Reply: Fuel injector clip needed?