C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Corvette Keyless Entry Issue, Only 1 door unlocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 96 Corvette Keyless Entry Issue, Only 1 door unlocks?

Hey guys...I'm having an issue with the PKE(Passive Keyless Entry) on my 96. . Long story short, the way my key fob is set, it automatically unlocks the doors when your within about 5ft of the car...walk away and it locks of course and horn sounds. When I originally got the car, I was having an issue with when I'd walk within that 5ft, it would only unlock the driver side. Now, I could use the switch on the inside and the power lock button itself would unlock the passengers door. I took it in the shop(not wanting to mess with it) and it seems like the guy said there was some sort of antenna(?) in there and it wasnt picking up the signal so he replaced it. Nontheless, I got it back and they both unlocked when within 5ft like they were suppose to and locked when you walked away. Well, just recently, its back to its old self again, only unlocking the drivers door. Im planning on trying to take care of this myself but obviously not sure where to begin. Not sure if this is just a programming issue or if it sounds like a part has failed again? To be honest, I've done some looking but havent seen any "antenna's" per say that are for the doors on a C4?

Secondly, I have read where that you can program your key fob 2 different ways. Manual or automatic. I really hate this automatic lock and unlock feature b/c if I'm at a car show, gas station, etc...the whole time I'm near my car, it continues locking and unlocking and its annoying...not to mention you look like and idiot every time the horn honks when it locks the doors. I obviously would like to keep the alarm feature active, but disable the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors. It'd be much nicer if you could just hit the button on the fob itself to do what you want...

Anyone with any experience on these issues? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by austinseanchris; 05-01-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There is an antenna in each door and one behind the carpet on the back wall of the rear hatch. Someone else will chime in on how to program the remote. I have to look it up in the manual...which is at home.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't know what your mechanic did but the antenna does not control what doors open - that is done by programming the pke. There are two antennas in use in the PKE system, The coupe has an antenna in the drivers door and hatch. The convertible has an antenna in each door since there is no hatch.

If you look in the owners manual there is a section on programming, turning on and off and settings for the doors.

Here is how you change the setting from just opening the drivers door to both doors -
1. Put key in ignition but do not start engine.
2. Press the door button on the transmitter until the door locks cycle (about two seconds).
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
I don't know what your mechanic did but the antenna does not control what doors open - that is done by programming the pke. There are two antennas in use in the PKE system, The coupe has an antenna in the drivers door and hatch. The convertible has an antenna in each door since there is no hatch.

If you look in the owners manual there is a section on programming, turning on and off and settings for the doors.

Here is how you change the setting from just opening the drivers door to both doors -
2. Press the door button on the transmitter until the door locks cycle (about two seconds).
Alrighty, I'll give that a whirl tonight seeing if it works. Not to sound like a smart a$$, but if the antenna has nothing to do with the controlling of the doors, what are the antennas in the door for? I was thinking maybe its to p/u the signal from the transmitter? I thought maybe that antenna was no longer working which is maybe why it wasnt unlocking the passenger door?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by austinseanchris
Secondly, I have read where that you can program your key fob 2 different ways. Manual or automatic.
No, you will never be able to use the buttons on the FOB to operate the drivers door.

You can program the FOB to open the drivers door only or both doors when walking up to the car.
If drivers door only is programmed, the door button on the FOB will then unlock the passenger door.
But that button will never lock either door.

I really hate this automatic lock and unlock feature b/c if I'm at a car show, gas station, etc...the whole time I'm near my car, it continues locking and unlocking and its annoying...not to mention you look like and idiot every time the horn honks when it locks the doors. I obviously would like to keep the alarm feature active, but disable the automatic locking and unlocking of the doors. It'd be much nicer if you could just hit the button on the fob itself to do what you want...
Turn the system off when you don't want it to do that.
Just stand next to the drivers door, and hold the door button down until you hear the locks cycle. (about 5 - 7 seconds).
If the system was on, it will now be off.
If it was off, it will now be back on again.

If the system is off, the doors will not lock/unlock as you walk away or approach the car.
The alarm can still be set by manually locking the doors though.

It'd be much nicer if you could just hit the button on the fob itself to do what you want...
Its all explained in the owners manual. If you don't have one, they are available from most of the Corvette Parts vendors.

Last edited by RollaMo-LT4; 05-01-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

If you don't have an owners manual and you don't want to purchase one, you can download one if PDF format for your '96 here.
http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...96corvette.pdf
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver96ce

Update...I tried pushing/holding door button on fob while key was in the ignition...thelocks never cycled and it still doesnt work...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
No, you will never be able to use the buttons on the FOB to operate the drivers door.

You can program the FOB to open the drivers door only or both doors when walking up to the car.
If drivers door only is programmed, the door button on the FOB will then unlock the passenger door.
But that button will never lock either door.

Turn the system off when you don't want it to do that.
Just stand next to the drivers door, and hold the door button down until you hear the locks cycle. (about 5 - 7 seconds).
If the system was on, it will now be off.
If it was off, it will now be back on again.

If the system is off, the doors will not lock/unlock as you walk away or approach the car.
The alarm can still be set by manually locking the doors though.

Its all explained in the owners manual. If you don't have one, they are available from most of the Corvette Parts vendors.
Ok...thought I read somewhere online that you could make it completely manual so to speak. I do have an owners manual...guess I be breaking it out after all...
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=austinseanchris;1583788573]Update...I tried pushing/holding door button on fob while key was in the ignition...thelocks never cycled and it still doesnt work...[/QUOTE

That won't work.

The ignition has to be in the acc position or out of the ignition IIRC. First position forward from off.

If the system is active, as previously mentioned, put the key in the ignition, but do not turn it to any position. Hold down door button to select which doors will open upon your approach.

There is one antenna in the drivers door & one antenna at the rear of the hatch behind the shade.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Alrighty, I'll give that a whirl tonight seeing if it works. Not to sound like a smart a$$, but if the antenna has nothing to do with the controlling of the doors, what are the antennas in the door for? I was thinking maybe its to p/u the signal from the transmitter? I thought maybe that antenna was no longer working which is maybe why it wasnt unlocking the passenger door?
If the antenna in the drivers door or the hatch (it looks like you have a coupe from your profile pictures) picks up the signal, then it will open either the drivers door or both doors depending on how the PKE is programmed. If one antenna is working then when that antenna picks up the signal, the both antennas are not working then the system will not fob will work as programmed. If both antenna are not working then the PKE system will not work period - neither door will lock or unlock.

Download the .pdf file like RollaMo-LT4 recommends. It has complete programming instructions.

Last edited by Silver96ce; 05-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

[QUOTE=Red Dwarf;1583788736]
Update...I tried pushing/holding door button on fob while key was in the ignition...thelocks never cycled and it still doesnt work...[/QUOTE

That won't work.

The ignition has to be in the acc position or out of the ignition IIRC. First position forward from off.

If the system is active, as previously mentioned, put the key in the ignition, but do not turn it to any position. Hold down door button to select which doors will open upon your approach.

There is one antenna in the drivers door & one antenna at the rear of the hatch behind the shade.
That's not correct. The key doesn't have to be in acc to change the program from both doors to driver only. It just has to be in the ignition. With the key out of the ignition, the door button will arm and disarm the PKE.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=65GGvert;1583789869]
Originally Posted by Red Dwarf

That's not correct. The key doesn't have to be in acc to change the program from both doors to driver only. It just has to be in the ignition. With the key out of the ignition, the door button will arm and disarm the PKE.
Your misquoting me.. I'm referring to turning the system "on" or "off", not changing door selection. Perhaps I did not make my self clear?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Hello all...just letting you know I finally got my locks straightened out. Went thru the owners manual and followed everyone's instructions on here, and got it resolved(finally). That thing is kinda a$$y! It wanted to be a PITA but nontheless, got it completely working. I did try the completely turning off PKE method where the fob would not activate the doors when coming within range...but wasnt sure if by locking the doors on the inside when leaving the car would activate the alarm or not? So I just put it back the way it should be...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

[QUOTE=Red Dwarf;1583793917]
Originally Posted by 65GGvert

Your misquoting me.. I'm referring to turning the system "on" or "off", not changing door selection. Perhaps I did not make my self clear?
I didn't misquote anything, I copied your quote down. I may not have understood what you MEANT to say. At no time does the key have to be in the acc position to do either of the changes, doors or off/on. The key is either in the ignition or out of the ignition depending on whether you want to change the doors or disable the passive. He's got it fixed anyway.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 05-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Hello all...just letting you know I finally got my locks straightened out. Went thru the owners manual and followed everyone's instructions on here, and got it resolved(finally). That thing is kinda a$$y! It wanted to be a PITA but nontheless, got it completely working. I did try the completely turning off PKE method where the fob would not activate the doors when coming within range...but wasnt sure if by locking the doors on the inside when leaving the car would activate the alarm or not? So I just put it back the way it should be...
I believe that if you lock the doors manually with the electric switch it activates the alarm. If you use the mechanical lock switch it does not.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

I did try the completely turning off PKE method where the fob would not activate the doors when coming within range...
but wasnt sure if by locking the doors on the inside when leaving the car would activate the alarm or not? So I just put it back the way it should be...

Yes
, if you use the power door lock on your door to lock the door then when you shut the door the alarm should be armed.

To test:
Roll drivers windows down.
Lock door using the power door lock button on door.
Close door.
Now reach in through open window and unlock the door.
Alarm should sound.

To disarm, use your key in the lock cylinder to unlock the door.

I leave my PKE system shut off all the time since I keep the car in the garage.
The only time I activate PKE is when I am going to park the car outside somewhere out of my sight (Restaurant, hotel, etc)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
At no time does the key have to be in the acc position to do either of the changes, doors or off/on. The key is either in the ignition or out of the ignition depending on whether you want to change the doors or disable the passive: period.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Corvette Keyless Entry Issue, Only 1 door unlocks?

Old 02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Wheatp1rose
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did u figure out to fix it. What exact steps?

The car is driving me crazy
Old 02-02-2016, 10:54 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheatp1rose
Seriously? This thread is three years old.

What he did to fix it (it was never broken) was follow the instructions in the owners manual. You can turn the system on (locks doors when you walk away, unlocks them when you approach the car) and you can set it to unlock just the drivers door or both doors.

If you are having a problem describe it. First read your owner manual.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wheatp1rose

Quick Reply: 96 Corvette Keyless Entry Issue, Only 1 door unlocks?