C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radiator research 1 vs 2 vs 3 core.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator research 1 vs 2 vs 3 core.

Some recent radiator discussion sent me off doing some research on them. My 88 comes with a single core aluminum with plastic tanks. It cools the car just fine. I'll be dropping a 383 stroker in at some point so i'll be going to an all aluminum radiator. From what i read there isn't much advantage in a 3 core over a 2 core and in some cases a single. It's all about air flow and tube size. The more cores you have the more air you have to move through it thus the more fan you need.

I was looking at Dewitt and the subject of these Champion radiators sold on Ebay came up. They are Chinese made vs American made by Dewitt. That sent my radar up immediately as i'm not a fan of Chinese products.

I did some searches on Champion and i found people satisfied with them and found complaints of them leaking at the tanks after awhile. i couldn't find any complaints about Dewitt.

I called Dewitt and talked to them. They have a cheaper option than the $525 2 core radiator. They have a new one out that is a single core. It has 1 1/2" vs the 1' tubes on their 2 core radiator. He said it would easily cool my engine for what i have in mind. It's priced at $355.

I asked about the price disparity between their product and Champion. He wasn't interested in saying anything negative about another vendor. He did say they use 1' to 1 1/2" tubes vs 5/8" tubes many other companies use.

Here's a link detailing the manufacturing process Dewitt goes through to make their radiators.

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/brazed-...radiator-cores

When the time comes i'll be going with Dewitt and happy to spend the extra money for an American made product.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The PO of my Z put a Dewitts rad/fan package on and Im impressed. Thought I had it running cool before this thing will never go over 180 on the hottest day sitting in traffic. Those things are giant heat sinks
The package isnt cheap but it sure is damn good (nothing cheap is good anyway lol). Worth every penny..nice product.

Havent used Champion products. Some are happy..id like to see feedback a good 5 yrs after purchase. All probably better than the stock puny one thouhg.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The PO of my Z put a Dewitts rad/fan package on and Im impressed. Thought I had it running cool before this thing will never go over 180 on the hottest day sitting in traffic. Those things are giant heat sinks
The package isnt cheap but it sure is damn good (nothing cheap is good anyway lol). Worth every penny..nice product.

Havent used Champion products. Some are happy..id like to see feedback a good 5 yrs after purchase. All probably better than the stock puny one thouhg.
It's also good to keep in mind Dewitt is a supporting vendor on this site.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
They are Chinese made vs American made by Dewitt.
Enough said, DeWitts for me! Price isn't everything!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm leaning this way for several reasons,

- proving track record.
- preformed caps, not welded up sheet metal.
- built here.
- lifetime warrenty.
- read a few negative posts in other forums. i.e. holes misaligned, trans cooler threads incorrect, leaks, cheap drain plug, twisted assembly, etc. all of this along with "Limited" Warrenty..

I'm looking at the DRI 1129090M for $325 it's slightly less money without the trans cooler..

I only want to do this one time..
Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desertmike1
I'm leaning this way for several reasons,

- proving track record.
- preformed caps, not welded up sheet metal.
- built here.
- lifetime warrenty.
- read a few negative posts in other forums. i.e. holes misaligned, trans cooler threads incorrect, leaks, cheap drain plug, twisted assembly, etc. all of this along with "Limited" Warrenty..

I'm looking at the DRI 1129090M for $325 it's slightly less money without the trans cooler..

I only want to do this one time..
Give Dewitt a call ask to speak to a tech. Easy company to deal with.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
JoeUser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received my single-core DeWitt radiator on Monday, and it is indeed a well-made product. It took a while since I first ordered back in January, but that was because it's a new model. The cores are very wide, so it should be very efficient with that much surface to wick away heat.

I'll be installing it this coming weekend, and judging from the directions it should practically be an easy drop-in replacement (just have to trim 1/4" of rubber from the upper shroud mounts).

I'm going with new hoses and t-stat while I'm at it.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Some recent radiator discussion sent me off doing some research on them. My 88 comes with a single core aluminum with plastic tanks. It cools the car just fine. I'll be dropping a 383 stroker in at some point so i'll be going to an all aluminum radiator. From what i read there isn't much advantage in a 3 core over a 2 core and in some cases a single. It's all about air flow and tube size. The more cores you have the more air you have to move through it thus the more fan you need.

I was looking at Dewitt and the subject of these Champion radiators sold on Ebay came up. They are Chinese made vs American made by Dewitt. That sent my radar up immediately as i'm not a fan of Chinese products.

I did some searches on Champion and i found people satisfied with them and found complaints of them leaking at the tanks after awhile. i couldn't find any complaints about Dewitt.

I called Dewitt and talked to them. They have a cheaper option than the $525 2 core radiator. They have a new one out that is a single core. It has 1 1/2" vs the 1' tubes on their 2 core radiator. He said it would easily cool my engine for what i have in mind. It's priced at $355.

I asked about the price disparity between their product and Champion. He wasn't interested in saying anything negative about another vendor. He did say they use 1' to 1 1/2" tubes vs 5/8" tubes many other companies use.

Here's a link detailing the manufacturing process Dewitt goes through to make their radiators.

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/brazed-...radiator-cores

When the time comes i'll be going with Dewitt and happy to spend the extra money for an American made product.
Thats the dewitt sales pitch...

I bought a double row radiator made in Chigago Ill about 3 yrs ago. It was identicle to a DeWitt in almost every way. I had the 2 sitting side by side. It works perfectly. My temps are NOW managable, with either ANY forward movement of the car OR the fan coming on..temps fall. Everytime. The ONLY time my temps increase is sitting in traffic for an extended red lite or stop n go. Then the instant that I start moving again and get some fresh air moving...temps fall rapidly. Takes about 1 minute to fall from 225 to 185-190. Where it like it to stay.

The biggest difference...
I have an extra $300 in my pocket that the DW buyer doesn't.
Nothing against a DW. Not at all. BUT, if you are money conscience as I am, (fixed income, disabled and tired of BS wasteful spending in every aspect of life) then search out a good locally made off-brand. You will save some money AND get the desired results. If you are made of money...then by all means, buy a DW and shout from the mountain top! DW won;t send you a commission check but you might gain some self confidence like the guy that wears his rolex to the grocery store...
......of course with the radiator you will have to put a DW sticker on your car so everyone will know...unlike the rolex.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leesvet

I bought a double row radiator made in Chigago Ill about 3 yrs ago. It was identicle to a DeWitt in almost every way. I had the 2 sitting side by side. It works perfectly. My temps are NOW managable, with either ANY forward movement of the car OR the fan coming on..temps fall. Everytime. The ONLY time my temps increase is sitting in traffic for an extended red lite or stop n go. Then the instant that I start moving again and get some fresh air moving...temps fall rapidly. Takes about 1 minute to fall from 225 to 185-190. Where it like it to stay.

Nothing against a DW. Not at all. BUT, if you are money conscience as I am, (fixed income, disabled and tired of BS wasteful spending in every aspect of life) then search out a good locally made off-brand. You will save some money AND get the desired results. If you are made of money...then by all means, buy a DW and shout from the mountain top! DW won;t send you a commission check but you might gain some self confidence like the guy that wears his rolex to the grocery store...
......of course with the radiator you will have to put a DW sticker on your car so everyone will know...unlike the rolex.
Geez Lee who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? I prefer American made parts even if i have to pay more as long as the quality is there. If i find a local shop that makes an equal quality radiator for less than Dewitt then i would buy it. Again.....American made. I could care less about a sticker or who knows what radiator i have in my vette......btw Rolex trash isn't American made either.....just sayin'
Old 04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I took my radiator out and run it on air like a VW

Thanks for the heads up on the new model radiator.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

I took my radiator out and run it on air like a VW

ROFL! Would be nice if a V8 ran like that. Dewitt aint cheap but then again the price of cool (horrible pun) aint cheap.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
tenaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez Lee who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? I prefer American made parts even if i have to pay more as long as the quality is there. If i find a local shop that makes an equal quality radiator for less than Dewitt then i would buy it. Again.....American made. I could care less about a sticker or who knows what radiator i have in my vette......btw Rolex trash isn't American made either.....just sayin'

This drives me crazy whenever i hear or read it, It's I COULDN"T CARE LESS NOT i could care less.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmmm if you're going to correct me on my grammar at least get the punctuation on your contraction correct....Lololol

This drives me crazy whenever i hear or read it, It's I COULDN"T CARE LESS NOT i could care less.

COULDN'T not COULDN"T
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow this devolved quickly from a potentially interesting thread to useless.

Grammar checkers - oh my!
Judging people on what they spend their money on - hilarious!

I say buy what you like with your money. Because it is your money. If I wanted a Rolex, I would buy one and wear it everywhere including the supermarket. Taking the logic of not wearing it everywhere to its absurd conclusion, I would only take it out of a locked and hidden drawer late at night when everyone is asleep to look at it by a dim flashlight. Don't want to be a "show-off". With that logic, owners of Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls-Royces and, yes, even the upcoming C7 should not drive their cars but instead keep them under a cover in the garage so as not to be a "show-off".
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Wow this devolved quickly from a potentially interesting thread to useless.

Grammar checkers - oh my!
Judging people on what they spend their money on - hilarious!

I say buy what you like with your money. Because it is your money. If I wanted a Rolex, I would buy one and wear it everywhere including the supermarket. Taking the logic of not wearing it everywhere to its absurd conclusion, I would only take it out of a locked and hidden drawer late at night when everyone is asleep to look at it by a dim flashlight. Don't want to be a "show-off". With that logic, owners of Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls-Royces and, yes, even the upcoming C7 should not drive their cars but instead keep them under a cover in the garage so as not to be a "show-off".
Good point. I'm going with the new single core all aluminum Dewitt came out with. It costs more than a stock radiator but i have an expensive 383 going in and a couple hundred bucks extra to protect it is worth it to me.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet

How many times are we going to go thru this?? Made in Chicago??

You bought an Imported radiator from a company that does business in Chicago.

It is not made in the USA!

And it is not identical to a DeWitts product!

The same nonsense all over again; Enjoy

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...mendation.html

The real truth about your imported radiator from Chicago, by way of China;

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-radiator.html

Last edited by mako41; 04-26-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Corvette40
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My DeWitts sprung a leak after three years that drove me crazy. It is in the upper left hand corner by the upper radiator hose fitting. Thought is was one of the tubes so epoxied the hell out of it, still leaked. Finally cut off the top of the tank and there is a stress crack just under a weld. I'm gonna have a friend of mine who owns a header shop tig weld the crack and the tank for me. The thing is just too good of a radiator to toss and I'm glad it can be repaired.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator research 1 vs 2 vs 3 core.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette40
My DeWitts sprung a leak after three years that drove me crazy. It is in the upper left hand corner by the upper radiator hose fitting. Thought is was one of the tubes so epoxied the hell out of it, still leaked. Finally cut off the top of the tank and there is a stress crack just under a weld. I'm gonna have a friend of mine who owns a header shop tig weld the crack and the tank for me. The thing is just too good of a radiator to toss and I'm glad it can be repaired.
Contact DeWitts as you have a lifetime warranty that should cover your radiator.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette40
How did DRI respond to this problem?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Dewitts, and now it can be ordered thru Summit Racing.

Quick Reply: Radiator research 1 vs 2 vs 3 core.