C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Emergency brake not locking in place

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:26 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake not locking in place

So my E-brake hasent worked on my car since i got it, I can pull the lever up and it engages the brake but wont lock into place. What inside locks this in the engaged position? I plan on opening it up tomorrow and taking a look at it just want some input before getting into it.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Do you mean the parking brake handle? It's designed to lower with just a push downwards so that you can exit the car without having to crawl over the handle. It doesn't lock in place.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:03 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yea, mine did this too when I bought it years ago. Usually happens when PO's didn't use the park brake much. There is a "pawl" that drops down to engage the teeth on the assembly. When the lubricate around this pawl pin gets old,sticky, and dirty the pawl sticks and doesn't drop when the handle is pulled up to engage.
After the cover is removed, you'll see this clearly. Clean the pin good and re-lubricate.

Joel
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Check the button on top, it is probably stuck in the down position or maybe you are pressing it when you pull the handle? If it is stuck down just put some PB Blaster down inside it and work with it to free it up. Or like c4cruiser said, if you expect the handle to stay in the up position, it ain't gonna do it for the reason he stated.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 04-20-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Do you mean the parking brake handle? It's designed to lower with just a push downwards so that you can exit the car without having to crawl over the handle. It doesn't lock in place.

It's working exactly as advertised.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

Im gonna go take a look at this right now, never like leaving a manual in gear to keep it from rolling and it really irritates me that I have to.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

well that backfired horribly. Sprayed it and got it loosened it up, got her to lock into place but now its stuck on, i pull the lever up and I never get any resistance and the parking brake light on the dash is on. Looks like in order to see what is going on in there I will have to remove the seat. Oh joy
Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

I know it wasnt working prior because my driveway is on a decent slope and if I pulled the brake lever up it would just fall back down and the car would roll, if i held the lever up and let off of the brakes the car would not move but the second i would let go of the handle the car would roll. The pawl was stuck but i got it freed and now it wont disengage. I read the manual too and followed the directions but nothing.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Taking the seat out is cake, fortunately.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

Just not the way I wanted to spend my nice sunny sunday, nice days are hard to come by in the chicago area. What all do you have to do to get the seat out?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Reach under the front of the seat and you will find a heavy bail wire that holds the cushion in place. You will probably have to bear down hard on the cushion to allow clearance for the wire to come out of it's groove it sits in. Once the wire is loose you can pull the bottom cushion out and that may be all you have to remove. If you still don't have room then you will see four nuts at the bottom of the shell. I think I remember them being 13mm. take those 4 nuts off and the whole seat will come away from it's track.
That being said, before you do anything to the seat, get your PB Blaster and lube the cables under the car all the way to the rear wheels. Then lube the cable where it goes into it's housing at the bottom of the brake handle assembly. Let the PB sit for about 1/2 hour then try to operate the brake and see if it will break loose.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorkin
I know it wasnt working prior because my driveway is on a decent slope and if I pulled the brake lever up it would just fall back down and the car would roll, if i held the lever up and let off of the brakes the car would not move but the second i would let go of the handle the car would roll. The pawl was stuck but i got it freed and now it wont disengage. I read the manual too and followed the directions but nothing.
Have you tried pushing the button while you are pulling back on the lever ?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 AM
jcorkin
Advanced

I tried everything I could think of.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:30 AM
braeburn22
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

have you tried pressing the footbrake at the same time, it may just create enough slack to help the lever release.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
jcorkin
Advanced

I tried that last night too. I did spray everything down real good with pb blast and wd40 and let it sit all night and to my surprise it was functioning properly this morning, didnt have to pull anything apart. It did seem to hang up a bit every now and again but after cycling it multiple times she works flawlessly now. feels good to have a properly working e-brake. thanks for all the input.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Ghast
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a different problem but it didnt seem necessary to warrant a new thread. Does anyone have a guide for how to replace the brake part of the E-brake itself? Mine is worn and with the e-brake fully engaged, the car still rolls fairly easily.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
ecorse66
Racer

Originally Posted by Ghast
I have a different problem but it didnt seem necessary to warrant a new thread. Does anyone have a guide for how to replace the brake part of the E-brake itself? Mine is worn and with the e-brake fully engaged, the car still rolls fairly easily.
Check your private messages.

Dave T.

Get notified of new replies

To Emergency brake not locking in place

Quick Reply: Emergency brake not locking in place