C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'89 Cooling Fan Control Relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
mbgator
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '89 Cooling Fan Control Relay

As many of you, I've experienced an overheating issue with my 89 Coupe. Over the winter I removed the radiator, cleaned 10lbs of leaves and junk from the space between that and the AC Condenser. Also replaced the thermostat with a 185 degree unit and now want/need to install my upgraded cooling fan control relay.
the problem: I don't know where, in this rats-nest of an engine compartment, the original cooling fan relay is located.

Anyone got a picture/diagram of this that I could see? I've searched my service manual and the wiring diagram there really isn't much help in locating the actual relay in the engine box.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
milsurpman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LH inner fender forward of the battery area. Aux fan relay if you want to know is on the L/H side of the fan shroud.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 AM
guno89
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked the same question for my 89 about 5 years ago. Here is the picture I had from then

http://s599.photobucket.com/user/gun...tml?sort=2&o=1

If I remember correctly since I have a 6 speed I have 2 relays. I believe automatics only have 1 relay there. Since I changed that relay again about 3 weeks ago it is the relay closest to the brake fluid containers.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM
mbgator
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you gentlemen - exactly what I was looking-for
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

A good thing to do with these cars is buy the cooling fan switch that puts the fan or fans on early.

It just screws into the head between spark plugs 1 and 3 where now is a square headed plug, run 1 wire over to the fan relay and you are done with waiting for the computer to switch the fans on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Corvett...204#vi-content

It can also be found at a few other outlets, you don't need to buy the kit I used a simple butt end wire connector as the plug instead of spending 40 more bucks for the one pictured on other sites.

If you want to run 2 fans just double the wires out of the plug to switch on 2 relays.

Get notified of new replies

To '89 Cooling Fan Control Relay

Quick Reply: '89 Cooling Fan Control Relay