C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Ronaldo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1987 won't idle

Hi, sorry for this simple question. I'm pretty new with this fuel injection

I've just got my 87' on the road after I bought it last year and after I fixed two major airleaks at the PCV hose and the cruise control, it will not idle or start unless I press a little on the accelerator. It will also die if I release the throttle.

Is this just caused by the previous owner has adjusted the TB so it could be driven with the airleaks or do I have other problems needed to be fixed? It would idle about 1200 RPM before.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maf

Hi, I have an 87 as well. A few years back I had the same problem with the engine not idling. The manual advised removing the electrical connector at the bottom of the MAF (mass air flow sensor) and try starting. If the engine idles with it unplugged the MAF is probably bad. I unplugged it and the engine started right up and idled nicely. Recommend you try this proceedure and see if it will idle. If it idles replace the MAF and both power and burnoff relays. Be careful with the electrical connectors on the relays as they tend to be brittle and sometimes will not engage properly. Make certain all connectors are fully engaged on all on the relays.

Good Luck

Gary
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before replacing the MAF you may want to check some other things. The manual does say to replace the MAF but the knowledge base has more information after the manual was printed.

If you disconnect the MAF and it runs better then it means that the computer is detecting a problem somewhere and when it is disconnected it is running off of tables.

If it runs better then look over the distributor to make sure everything is good. Also check all wires to make sure they are in good condition (not necessarity the plug wires but all of the wireing under the hood)

Do you know if the fuel pressure is good?

Have you checked the IAC and TPS to make sure they are set properly?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Do a minimum idle adjustment:

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/r...scuss_sim5.htm
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Ronaldo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Thanks, I'll try that