C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heater Blend door problem? :

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Jgaryarnold
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Blend door problem? :

The heater in my '95 LT1 puts out little to no warm air with the blower on. I get good air flow/circulation, just very limited warmth to the interior cabin from the heater. I've checked and both input as well as outflow heater hoses get very warm. So I am guessing I am getting sufficient coolant flow through the heater core. How difficult is it to get to the blend door assembly to make any needed repairs & any tips on what I need to be looking for? Does the job require attempting to get at it from the inside under the dash, or from under the hood, or both? Any advice, tips or suggestions from previous experiences would be greatly appreciated. The odometer shows approx. 72,000 miles. Thanks, Gary.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Pingman326
Advanced

I have a 1993 with the same problem. I removed an electrical part mounted on the fan housing under the hood on the passenger side. After removing that part I could see my blend door. I took a long screwdriver and pushed it to the other side and the my heat worked great. I'm guessing the arm that moves the door fell off or something. I plan on checking it out when it warms up outside so I can fix it.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Jgaryarnold
Cruising

Thanks, I'll look into that. It gives a good place to start.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the '95 is like the '94, there is no "arm." The pivot point for the blend door connects directly to the actuator. To access it you will need to remove the passenger side A/C vent and the 2 screws in the fuse panel that holds the passenger side lower trim panel on. The motor is held on by 2 screws and is all the way forward by the fire wall. It's not too difficult to get at.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...procedure.html
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Pingman326
Advanced

Thanks! I removed the passenger seat and stuck my head up under the dash and is couldn't find anything that looked like it would move the door. I'll try your method and see what I find.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Motor drives the door with a gear on this year - there's no arm to see.
Removing the Blower Module on the Evaporator Case is all you need to do to see what the door is doing. If it's working, the Core is plugged up meaning coolant is flowing over the top but not through it. You can try to flush it by removing the hoses and running a bit more pressure through it with your garden hose or compressed air.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Jgaryarnold
Cruising

Originally Posted by SunCr
Motor drives the door with a gear on this year - there's no arm to see.
Removing the Blower Module on the Evaporator Case is all you need to do to see what the door is doing. If it's working, the Core is plugged up meaning coolant is flowing over the top but not through it. You can try to flush it by removing the hoses and running a bit more pressure through it with your garden hose or compressed air.
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting into the diagnostic phase, turning some wrenches & screwdrivers & getting into the heart of the problem & making the necessary repairs. I will report my future findings as I go along. Hopefully with accompanying pictures to boot. Thanks again for all your input. Gary.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Blend door problem? :

Quick Reply: Heater Blend door problem? :