C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wheels stick out on drivers side - need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:42 PM
CrazyBlk86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels stick out on drivers side - need help

Someone else on the forum posted the same problem about 6 months ago, and I don't know if they got it solved.

The wheels on my 86 (with 88 wheels) stich out about 1/2 inch on the drivers side (both front and rear) and it is driving me nuts.

I have checked the wheel backspacing, wheel bearings, knuckles and everything and nothing is different from one side to the other. The tires show no abnormal wear.

Could this be a wheel alignment issue? What does the camber adjustment bolt in the rear do? Does it adjust the wheel in and out?

This is really driving me crazy, any help would be great.

JMR
Old 06-18-2002, 04:45 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: wheels stick out on drivers side - need help (CrazyBlk86)

Do the passengers side wheels look normal?

Sounds like your wheel angles are totally screwed up (or in the worst case your car has been is some serious accident and was repaired poorly).

I recommend you get your car professionally 4 wheel adjusted by a shop with good moders equiptment. It is really difficult to do this properly by yourself, there is 2-3 angles per wheel. If this is done badly or not at all you WILL ruin your tires very fast. Secondly if they are wrong the car might be worse to drive than when they are ok.

Surprisingly, camber adjustment bolt adjusts camber. ;) Basicly how much the tires top edge leans in or out. Compare the 2 camber bolts, they have little position markers, are they adjusted the same way on the both sides? If there is a big difference you can be sure the angles are in need for adjustment.

My left rear tire was sticking out like you describe when I bought the car. It was fixed with 4 wheel adjustment. this has great effect on normal handling and driving.

Good luck.

Toni
Old 06-18-2002, 10:40 AM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: wheels stick out on drivers side - need help (ToniH)

Sounds like your wheel angles are totally screwed up (or in the worst case your car has been is some serious accident and was repaired poorly).
I checked mine 6 mos. ago when the topic came up. Sure enough mine was lopsided too. :rolleyes: Took it to a shop and we looked over it real good and had a hard time finding the exact cause. My car has been in a wreck and it could very well have been a poor repair job. We even pondered the thought that it was from the factory like that and they used (1) 9.5 wheel to cover it up. I didn't notice it until I replaced the 9.5 w/ an 8.5. My bushings are all chewed up so I figure when I replace them we should figure out what's wrong. Right now I'm working on the engine area, next week or so I'll get to the suspension.

If anyone is looking for a fair condition stock 87 9.5, keep in mind War Machine has one sitting in storage. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To wheels stick out on drivers side - need help

Quick Reply: wheels stick out on drivers side - need help