C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The 1985 Corvette's automatic transmission has a crack and leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:25 AM
jerdev
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 1985 Corvette's automatic transmission has a crack and leaks...

Obviously the only way to fix it is to replace it with another transmission. just wondering about the cost, and what kind of transmission i'm able to replace it with? [5-speed/6-speed/etc... auto/manual]
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jerdev
Obviously the only way to fix it is to replace it with another transmission. just wondering about the cost, and what kind of transmission i'm able to replace it with? [5-speed/6-speed/etc... auto/manual]
Unusual for the trans housing to crack
the 89 and later had a stronger housing, get it rebuilt use the later model trans as a starting point.
i have a supercharged 383 engine pushing a lot more power than standard thru the h/d transmission, i have never cracked a housing so give the T700R4 another chance..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a "good " 7ooR4 sitting here out of a 86 w/converter . 250.00
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
jerdev
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Unusual for the trans housing to crack
the 89 and later had a stronger housing, get it rebuilt use the later model trans as a starting point.
i have a supercharged 383 engine pushing a lot more power than standard thru the h/d transmission, i have never cracked a housing so give the T700R4 another chance..
Well according to the mechanic it is cracked lol, and it's leaking and spitting out fluid everywhere. not good at all.
So what exactly should I get to replace the tranny?
Are later models [like the 89 and later models] compatible with the 1985 motor/chassis?
how much would it cost to get it replaced and assembled?

also, as im very new when it comes to car specs, what is my 1985 corvette's tranny called? assuming its all stock.

Last edited by jerdev; 03-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jerdev
Well according to the mechanic it is cracked lol, and it's leaking and spitting out fluid everywhere. not good at all.
So what exactly should I get to replace the tranny?
Are later models [like the 89 and later models] compatible with the 1985 motor/chassis?
how much would it cost to get it replaced and assembled?
I just had the same thing happen on my 88 with 45k miles. When the shop showed me the case, it was completely "slagged" on one side of the case. Looks like GM needed some QC on these cases because that is the last thing that we should have to deal with!

I just had AAMCO put my old (45k mile) guts in another case. They swapped out any parts that showed wear, and while it was cheaper than a full rebuild, it was still 2k....

Get notified of new replies

To The 1985 Corvette's automatic transmission has a crack and leaks...

Quick Reply: The 1985 Corvette's automatic transmission has a crack and leaks...