C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rpm cam question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

IMHO A cam swap to the B-body cam by itself won't net you much, if any, seat of the pants difference over stock. If you want more low-end you probably should look at First: more gear, Second: more displacement(stroking the motor), Thirdly: more cylinder pressure(compression). I used to have an old 77 Caprice with a mild 350 in it. The best that car ever ran with a small block is when I threw some 305 heads on that 350. Small 58 cc chambers upped the compression and the small runners kept the velocity up but it ran out of breath at 4500 rpm. Sounds like something to consider from what you are wanting.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM
CorvAdel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 90TorqueMonster
Here's a my setup sum'd up. I'm stock with some weight shedded, 1.5 rollers, ported plenum,base and some porting on the runners, 3.07 rear, rebuilt distributor witha accel coil, rotor, wires and plugs, delet ac n smog pump. Stock cam. I'm tryin to keep it as a baseline but stock
Ok. I'll stick my neck out with your mods and say LPE211....
Happy to be corrected, tho'...
Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 90TorqueMonster
Is this b body cam worth it?
Absolutely not, you will loss performance not gain. A cam designed to pull from idle to 3500 is the same cam that will pull from 1500 to 3500. The stock cam you currently have in your car is designed to pull to 4500 rpm and work well with the TPI. The TPI is designed to work really well in the 2500 to 4500 RPM range, outside of that range the runner length actually works against the power of the engine (tuned intake vs. anti tuning). Which means you do not want a smaller cam that operates in a lower RPM range because you will be outside of the operating range of the intake. In other words you will not have more low RPM power and once you hit the operating range of the intake you will still have less power. Remember you have a 1500 RPM or higher stall speed on your torque convertor so trying to gain anything below 1500 RPM is pointless, the second you hit it the engine will be at 1500 RPM or higher. If you want to make a meaningful cam change that increases low end power and mid-range power pick something like the ZZ-3 cam from GM or ZZ-9 from TPIS on duration and timing specifications but with less lift so you do not have to cut your valve guides.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Change your rearend gears

Get a bigger converter
Like a 2800 for the TPI...some like a touch less
that will definitely get you the feeling you want

Do that first...you may wind up with a bigger cam later.
Cam bjanski listed work well

Quick Reply: rpm cam question