C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FX3 code help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
captboatwrench
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

3 of my fx3 shocks and actuators are bad on my 92 and the dic had a piece of black tape over the light and nice looking clear plastic and c4 logo plate covering it. I bought a used set of shocks and actuators on the parts board and plan on sending them out to bilstein and capt z 1 by 1 as the funds permit. last I checked Bilstein wanted 145 to do the shocks and Capt z was 125 for the actuators and I think 35 for the gear.

eatmydst1234 where at in Ga are you ? I am south of Savannah, in Midway
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by captboatwrench
the dic had a piece of black tape over the light and nice looking clear plastic and c4 logo plate covering it
Glad I'm not the only one, I had the exact same thing happen, but I lucked out with only the front left actuator bad. Fixed it and the ride improvement as a whole was night and day!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captboatwrench
3 of my fx3 shocks and actuators are bad on my 92 and the dic had a piece of black tape over the light and nice looking clear plastic and c4 logo plate covering it. I bought a used set of shocks and actuators on the parts board and plan on sending them out to bilstein and capt z 1 by 1 as the funds permit. last I checked Bilstein wanted 145 to do the shocks and Capt z was 125 for the actuators and I think 35 for the gear.

eatmydst1234 where at in Ga are you ? I am south of Savannah, in Midway

I am 30 miles east of Atlanta, in Oxford, Ga
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

You know this thread inspired me to go outside this afternoon and put the Extra Actuator I have with the metal gear on the front actuator I hadn't replaced yet.

Of course in doing this I found that the Shock gear was actually broken and being held together by the tension inside of the actuator...... now it looks like I need to order a shock gear to put this thing on correctly!

What a slap in the hand for trying to stay ahead of things breaking on the car! ha ha
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Photoguy000
You know this thread inspired me to go outside this afternoon and put the Extra Actuator I have with the metal gear on the front actuator I hadn't replaced yet.

Of course in doing this I found that the Shock gear was actually broken and being held together by the tension inside of the actuator...... now it looks like I need to order a shock gear to put this thing on correctly!

What a slap in the hand for trying to stay ahead of things breaking on the car! ha ha
how fragile are these things? LOL
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Photoguy000
Racer

Originally Posted by eatmydst1234
how fragile are these things? LOL
You'd be surprised. When you go to remove the shock top gear you will notice that it's held to the shock via a Pin. You'll need to use a punch to get the pin out of the shock gear in order to remove the broken one. Or actually even to install a shock gear onto new shocks. Definitely go and get a punch set from Ace, or Home Depot or something if you don't have one. You may assume that you can use an alan wrench to push it out but you'd be wrong and you'll just break the wrench depending on how tight the pin is in there.

To get the broken shock gear off, i had to use a set of needle nose pliers to hold it while I pushed the pin out. You can feel the metal in the gear bending. The new gears ($35 from Corvette Central or Captain Z) are much stronger.

I'd be surprised if I'll ever have to deal with my rebuilt actuators and fears ever again outside of a shock change. Knock on wood.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 AM
VetteVet86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eatmydst1234
I will pull both front actuators after work today. I would imagine the VSS would have an effect too? The right front vss is acting up and sets off service abs too.
You're confusing the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor), which is located in the transmission tailshaft housing with the wheel speed sensors. The only speed input to the FX3 system is from the VSS, not the wheel speed sensors. The wheel speed sensors only provide input to the ABS system.

Jep
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Now the real irony. Got my new gear in the mail and it was finally warm enough to put it and the rebuilt actuator on the car. Of course then the light didn't go off.......

Looks like tomorrow I'll be ordering two front shocks. Will still pull the codes to be sure, but I figure if I replace two now that saves me later anyway right?

I guess that way at least the entire front half of the system will be redone. I guess then to worry about the back.

P.s. eshocks sells the fx3 bilsteins for $187 each.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 PM
eatmydst1234
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteVet86
You're confusing the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor), which is located in the transmission tailshaft housing with the wheel speed sensors. The only speed input to the FX3 system is from the VSS, not the wheel speed sensors. The wheel speed sensors only provide input to the ABS system.

Jep
You are correct, my bad.

Now the real irony. Got my new gear in the mail and it was finally warm enough to put it and the rebuilt actuator on the car. Of course then the light didn't go off.......

Looks like tomorrow I'll be ordering two front shocks. Will still pull the codes to be sure, but I figure if I replace two now that saves me later anyway right?

I guess that way at least the entire front half of the system will be redone. I guess then to worry about the back.

P.s. eshocks sells the fx3 bilsteins for $187 each.
I will keep them in mind, though it's looking like i will temporarily be putting some Z51 shocks on her since it does have the Z07 package

Quick Reply: FX3 code help