C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
gillikinsh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake calipers

I need some help/advice on my 1995. The car has developed a noise when applying the brakes. The noise is coming from the front calipers. This evening I pulled the left front wheel off the car and examined the calipers. The caliper itself was tightened correctly but the portion of the caliper holding the pads had some back and forth play in it. The rotors look fine. I then checked the other wheel with the same result. I tried jiggling the real caliper/pads and this was solid. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Pingman326
Advanced

I have a 1993 and my calipers are also "loose", I figured it must be normal. But mine are not making any noises.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
gillikinsh
4th Gear

The noise mine are making is quite noticeable. When it first started I thought it might be the bushings in my sway bar but am now convinced it is the calipers. Wanted some ideas before I carried it to a garage and was "taken advantage of."
Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Do you have the anti rattle clips on the pads?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

It's a "floating" caliper so a little back and forth is normal. So long as the rod is still in the bottom with the retainer clip.

My first thought are pads. There should be some metal clips, these are designed to contact the rotor and make a squealing noise when the pad is getting worn out. Pretty much standard on all cars.

The other thought, if the pads are not worn, is rotor run out. They may be able to be machined depending on severity and current thickness.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the noise is only when applying the brakes, I would try a rebedding process first. Find a deserted road with nothing to hit in case there really is something wrong with the brakes, 10 stops from 35 mph to 5 mph, 50% braking, 10 stops from 60 mph to 5 mph, 50% braking, then 3 stops from 80mph to 5 mph, 70% braking, then drive the car 5 miles or so without applying the brakes. The pads on my 2000 Mercedes, which my wife drives does the same thing after a few thousand miles of driving. She never applies the brakes hard and doesn't put much heat in the pads.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM
grsee
Intermediate

I had the same issue with my 95. Go to NAPA and get the anti rattle clips. They cost about $5.00 and install very easily. The calipers are floating calipers and tend to slam down after applying the breaks. The anti rattle clips slow down the slamming effect which is espicially noticable after installing new, clean break pads.

Get notified of new replies

To Front brake calipers

Quick Reply: Front brake calipers