C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

anyone use spec dual disk clutch for their zf6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default anyone use spec dual disk clutch for their zf6?

I was talking to spec tech yesterday and they told me about a dual disk clutch they have for high hp c4 zf6 applications.

Unlike mcleod dual friction disk - which has noisy, brutal irs killing engagements without dampening springs, they claim that their dual disk clutch has a sprung hub.

Does anyone know anything about this product? Is it quality pieces?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I was talking to spec tech yesterday and they told me about a dual disk clutch they have for high hp c4 zf6 applications.

Unlike mcleod dual friction disk - which has noisy, brutal irs killing engagements without dampening springs, they claim that their dual disk clutch has a sprung hub.

Does anyone know anything about this product? Is it quality pieces?
I've no "first hand" experience with the Mcleod for a C4 but I did do one for an LSX 454 that I sold for a C5 install. This was very early in the LSX production and I had to have a flywheel done for it at the time (nine bolt hub) no one had one then. A few do now. We did that with a McLeod dual disc and the owner doesn't complain about drivability. I expect there isn't any. Mcleod has a package now for the ZF in a C4 that utilizes a very unique hydraulic system. I'd call and speak with Fred (best I recall) and tell him your interested in an RST Twin disc and a 1345 Kit for the ZF release bearing. Your measurements need to be precise but I believe if I didn't have an OE clutch on the shelf it would be my next buy. It still might be. I may sell off the OE. There's no more hydraulic issues but it's not "inexpensive". The RST package is meant to be used with your flywheel.

I believe there's been a few conversations regarding the 1345 release assembly in the not to distant past. I don't recall reading a lot of bad. Like I say the RST in the LSX 454 lives and I've heard nothing bad from the owner. I was very concerned being I had to have the 9 bolt flywheel custom done at the time.

Call and tell them what you have! It's just a phone call. You could use their 1345 release with any clutch, it just requires measurements that you need to supply and they're critical. There are provisions in their 1345 system to replace piston housings to fine tune the release and they provide guidance and exchange the housings to confirm a correct install. I believe it to be real nice stuff. It will require modification of the guide tube retainer but there's no custom machining required. It's intended use is with a ZF !!!

Search RST @ Mcleod Racing and search 1345

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I've no "first hand" experience with the Mcleod for a C4 but I did do one for an LSX 454 that I sold for a C5 install. This was very early in the LSX production and I had to have a flywheel done for it at the time (nine bolt hub) no one had one then. A few do now. We did that with a McLeod dual disc and the owner doesn't complain about drivability. I expect there isn't any. Mcleod has a package now for the ZF in a C4 that utilizes a very unique hydraulic system. I'd call and speak with Fred (best I recall) and tell him your interested in an RST Twin disc and a 1345 Kit for the ZF release bearing. Your measurements need to be precise but I believe if I didn't have an OE clutch on the shelf it would be my next buy. It still might be. I may sell off the OE. There's no more hydraulic issues but it's not "inexpensive". The RST package is meant to be used with your flywheel.

I believe there's been a few conversations regarding the 1345 release assembly in the not to distant past. I don't recall reading a lot of bad. Like I say the RST in the LSX 454 lives and I've heard nothing bad from the owner. I was very concerned being I had to have the 9 bolt flywheel custom done at the time.

Call and tell them what you have! It's just a phone call. You could use their 1345 release with any clutch, it just requires measurements that you need to supply and they're critical. There are provisions in their 1345 system to replace piston housings to fine tune the release and they provide guidance and exchange the housings to confirm a correct install. I believe it to be real nice stuff. It will require modification of the guide tube retainer but there's no custom machining required. It's intended use is with a ZF !!!

Search RST @ Mcleod Racing and search 1345
Is this a sprung hub? If not I imagine the engagement grip would be brutal off the line. Esp on an independant rear end
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Is this a sprung hub? If not I imagine the engagement grip would be brutal off the line. Esp on an independant rear end
I'm quite sure it IS NOT but it's also not "marketed" as a "competition" clutch - it specifically mentions that in their advertised specs. Pick up the phone! I'd consider their 1345 release assembly regardless of the brand clutch I did and I'd do a push vs pull if I were buying!

Get notified of new replies

To anyone use spec dual disk clutch for their zf6?

Quick Reply: anyone use spec dual disk clutch for their zf6?