C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cutting the throttle body 'divider' in plenum?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Cutting the throttle body 'divider' in plenum?

I have siamesed the openings into runners from the plenum and I also matched the throttle body and plenum to the gasket. This is what I have done already at the plenum side:

The throttle body from this:

into this:

Then, I found a different gasket for the TB; with the opening

So, is there any harm or downside, if I take out the visible aluminum outside the gasket, between the openings at the plenum side? Increased turbulence or less turbulence? I'm guessing less turbulence, but does anybody know?

I should lift the engine back into engine bay by the end of the week and I'd like to have 'everything' done before Friday. (There are other minor things yet to do... like installing lifters, pushrods, rockers, the intake manifold etc., but that all takes just a few hours, no biggie )
Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think that divider/partician is necessary for the air metering for that center passage. Thats idle control air I believe, and removal could effect how well it can manage the idle.

I've never seen it totally removed. No benefit as far as flow...thats limited by the TB bore and what can possibly pass thru the baseplate and head runner. Even the ductwork ahead of the TB has something to say about how much and how fast the air flow is..

The plenum work does look good !
is that a stock TB? if it is, that would be the limiting factor for that engine.
Find a good 52mmTB. A 58 is pointless unless you have bored it to 400ci or more. Be prepared for some "tune" changes...

Last edited by leesvet; 02-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:52 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ive removed it plenty of time no problems. Did it help, who knows without back to back testing. Probably not is my guess
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Ive removed it plenty of time no problems.

Only the 85 - 88 intakes with CSI have that port that feeds air through a runner cast on the underside of plenum , down a tube on drv runner into holes in the ports of the base
Was deleted on the 89 - 92 non CSI intakes and the air from the IAC dumped out into the plenum directly behind the TB blades so obviously not related to idle control
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by leesvet
I would think that divider/partician is necessary for the air metering for that center passage. Thats idle control air I believe, and removal could effect how well it can manage the idle.
Yes, that's the IAC opening at the TB, but I just don't see how that divider would/should/could have any effect on the idle air flow, since the needed air isn't that much.

Originally Posted by leesvet
I've never seen it totally removed. No benefit as far as flow...thats limited by the TB bore and what can possibly pass thru the baseplate and head runner. Even the ductwork ahead of the TB has something to say about how much and how fast the air flow is..

The plenum work does look good !
is that a stock TB? if it is, that would be the limiting factor for that engine.
Find a good 52mmTB. A 58 is pointless unless you have bored it to 400ci or more. Be prepared for some "tune" changes...
Yes, it's stock TB. As for the limiting, these flow test numbers beg to differ http://www.gmtuners.com/flow/index.htm

And yes, I'll have it tuned, since there are some other modifications also, like bigger runners, porting every inch from plenum, runners and baseplate/intake manifold and gasket matching.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by vetteoz

Only the 85 - 88 intakes with CSI have that port that feeds air through a runner cast on the underside of plenum , down a tube on drv runner into holes in the ports of the base
Was deleted on the 89 - 92 non CSI intakes and the air from the IAC dumped out into the plenum directly behind the TB blades so obviously not related to idle control
Thanks for the info! I've wondered so long time about those small holes in the baseplate (In this picture in the foreground):

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

In the first picture, the holes on the right just behind the gasket are for the EGR. There was a bump in front of them to create a venturi effect to suck in the exhaust gases.

My recollection is that the triangular-shaped opening between the throttle bores was for the cold start injector. Somebody else needs to verify this...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Minirams don't have that divider. I would think it's not necessary. Only back to back testing will give the answer.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
My recollection is that the triangular-shaped opening between the throttle bores was for the cold start injector. Somebody else needs to verify this...
As I stated above , was only used on the CSI equipped intakes so reasonable to assume it directed air there to dilute and distribute the fuel from the CS injector when cranking over
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by 383vett
Minirams don't have that divider. I would think it's not necessary. Only back to back testing will give the answer.
100%

Just wanted to get the answers the easy way, if somebody would already have had some hard data...

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it as it is, at least for now. There are more important issues, which demand pretty urgent attention. For instance valve covers

Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
In the first picture, the holes on the right just behind the gasket are for the EGR. There was a bump in front of them to create a venturi effect to suck in the exhaust gases.
No EGR on my machine...
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Yorcci
100%

Just wanted to get the answers the easy way, if somebody would already have had some hard data...

Anyway, I'll probably just leave it as it is, at least for now. There are more important issues, which demand pretty urgent attention. For instance valve covers

I'd drop all work on the plenum divider immediately and address the valve cover problem. Those things are UUGGGLLLYYYY.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Off an 89 no cold start injector.
Pretty sure it takes EGR gases from the small passages in the runner (and also from the base)
Its been awhile since Ive worked on one so the memory is foggy

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting the throttle body 'divider' in plenum?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cutting the throttle body 'divider' in plenum?