C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Automatic Transmission Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
mjshaw
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Automatic Transmission Shifter Problem

I have a 1996 LT1 automatic and I am having an issue with the shifter. When the shifter is in the overdrive position, it can inadvertently slide forward into the neutral position and the transmission faithfully shifts into neutral. The transmission otherwise performs flawlessly if pressure is held on the shifter back towards the overdrive position, and both park and reverse shifter positions work correctly as well. I would expect some type of resistance when moving the shifter from overdrive to neutral, but there appears to be none.

Question: Is there something worn here, or possibly some type of adjustment for this?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There is an adjustment on the transmission end of the shifter cable. Put the shifter in Park and remove the cotter pin and shift cable from this lever. Then loosen the 15mm nut on the back of the shift lever and move the pin until the shift cable slips onto the pin. REMOVE THE SHIFT CABLE FROM THE PIN. Tighten the nut securely. You will break your shift cable if the lever moves while tightening the 15mm nut. You don't need to ask how I know this...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
mattyg413
Heel & Toe

my 96 has a problem with going into park. sometimes when i park on an incline it starts rolling and clicking like a parking pin or something. i have to jiggle the shifter to get it to lock in. think this is the same issue?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sounds like an adjustment is in order. There is no adjustment on the shifter. It has to be done at the transmission.

The parking "pawl" is on a lever that pivots and locks into notches in the reaction ring gear support. If it doesn't engage completely then it can make a clicking noise as it bounces over the notches (on the left):

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyg413
my 96 has a problem with going into park. sometimes when i park on an incline it starts rolling and clicking like a parking pin or something. i have to jiggle the shifter to get it to lock in. think this is the same issue?
It's best to have 2 people to adjust the linkage, much better then having to jump up and down...I had the complete opposite problem you have..Mine wouldn't allow me to pull all the way into first gear so I could shift manually..A little bit of adjustment on the cable at the trans and it works great now....WW
Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had shifter problems on the 86 I had. It had trouble going into Park.
That was an easy fix. The bolts holding the cable bracket to the tranny were just loose. Hope yours is that simple.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
mjshaw
5th Gear

Thanks Cliff. In addition to my shifter sliding into neutral from overdrive, I also cannot pull it all the way back into 1st, so I think you are definitely onto something. I cannot quite make out your procedure, but I'm guessing that when I crawl under it I will better understand. I should be able to do that tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Automatic Transmission Shifter Problem

Quick Reply: C4 Automatic Transmission Shifter Problem