C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My '88 won't crank over

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
alohajohn2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '88 won't crank over

'88 Auto Convertible..
The dash lights light up but nothing else happens when I turn the key all the way. I had an AC Delco re-built starter fitted 12 months ago when the original died and all was fine until this past weekend. The vats system has been bypassed a few years back so I figure it can't be that, my battery shows it has good charge but there is no sign of power at the starter connections.

Your advice/assistance would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Starter enable relay or the P/N switch at base of the shifter would be 1st things to check
the relay is easily bypassed by jumpering the 2 thick wires to confirm if faulty
Ditto the P/N switch

Originally Posted by alohajohn2
. The vats system has been bypassed a few years back so I figure it can't be that,
A check of that would be to hot wire the starter direct to the battery and see if it fires up.
If it cranks but does not fire then you have a VATS problem

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 AM
alohajohn2
Cruising

Thanks Vetteoz,
Looking at your pic the starter enable relay is behind the centre right display panel..is that correct.?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM
alohajohn2
Cruising

Further Update....
I replaced the starter enable relay and the neutral safety switch and at least it cranked over but did not fire up. I then tried my spare [never used] ignition key and bingo it started like there was never a problem. Shut it down and it wouldn't start again which ever key I used. Had a look into the key hole and the connections are worn so I guess if the connection isn't good every time it won't start.

Have now ordered a new lock cylinder and key with the same impedance as the original....boy what a hassle..!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a look into the key hole and the connections are worn so I guess if the connection isn't good every time it won't start.
Well documented problem with age / wear

VATS
http://www.thirdgen.org/vats_passkey_system
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have now ordered a new lock cylinder and key with the same impedance as the original....boy what a hassle..!!!
If your VAT system has been disabled, a new key and lock wont fix the problem. If it hasnt been disabled then it may fix it.

It does sound like a security issue to though. When you turn the ignition to the "ON" position, does the "Security" light flash, or stay on? If it stays on steady, then its a VATS problem, and your system isnt bypassed. h

Get notified of new replies

To My '88 won't crank over

Quick Reply: My '88 won't crank over