C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

looking for performance info

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
spdtrip
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for performance info

I am pretty serious about getting a late c4. When I do get 1 if it's not already done I want to lightly mod it. (bolt-ons and a little n2o) I want the car to be daily driver smooth and not to crazy. I also want an auto. Here is a list of what im thinking would be a good few upgrades. Any and all opinions would be great. btw I know very little about vettes as far as what works best so let me know.

1.cold air
2.catback
3.gears 3.42 or 3.73 ?
4.tune- hand held or custom ?
5. N2O wet or dry ? no more than 100 shot

The car will be mostly street. little drag, auto-x and maybe a trackday.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by spdtrip
I am pretty serious about getting a late c4. When I do get 1 if it's not already done I want to lightly mod it. (bolt-ons and a little n2o) I want the car to be daily driver smooth and not to crazy. I also want an auto. Here is a list of what im thinking would be a good few upgrades. Any and all opinions would be great. btw I know very little about vettes as far as what works best so let me know.

1.cold airLittle Value on a LT1 unless you have big cubes.
2.catback Again little value on LT1, very good system from factory, mostly for sound, long tube headers do help a good bit.
3.gears 3.42 or 3.73 ? Now your talking, stall converter too!!!
4.tune- hand held or custom ? If you tune it right, a few to be found, but not breath taking.
5. N2O wet or dry ? no more than 100 shot. Yes, you can get HP with this. Be warned however, I know you cannot use NOS with SCCA auto-x, unless you pull the bottle, completely. I bet track days are similar. Go wet, progessive controller, etc...if you want your stock bottom end to live very long.

Personally, I would do gears, stall converter, LT headers, roller rockers. You should be into the 12's with a setup like this depending on track, driver, exact car setup,etc...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
JAKE-SON
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Personally, I would do gears, stall converter, LT headers, roller rockers. You should be into the 12's with a setup like this depending on track, driver, exact car setup,etc...
Might as well through a cam at is well
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those sound like a good place to start. A big $ if the car doesn't already have them is a good set of performance tires and a tight suspension. If you want to hand tune it you will need a 94 (I think) or later for OBD-II. Not much for cold air systems out there and expensive, the good news is all you need is a K&N style filter and cut open your intake lid you will get the same benefits. Auto's are fine but if you plan on future power upgrades or low 60ft times you will want to convert to a Dana-44 which only come in manual cars. Also if it's a base model auto the gearing sucks i.e. 2:59's. Let us know what you get
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
spdtrip
Cruising

I knew about the 2.59 gears in an auto, but I did not know about the weaker rearend. that kinda stinks. so what stall ( size and brand ) do you guys think for what I want ? and 3.42 or 3.73 gears ?

I dont really want to go into the engine so cam and even roller rockers are out for now. but are there anymore easy power mods like under drive pullies, larger TB, or ?? I like the LT headers idea Whats a good brand for lt1 ?

Last edited by spdtrip; 01-04-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by spdtrip

1.cold air
2.catback
3.gears 3.42 or 3.73 ?
4.tune- hand held or custom ?
5. N2O wet or dry ? no more than 100 shot

ZR1 look no further and just drive it
The later ZR1 had 405h/p compared to the pre 92 that had 375.

If i had my time again that is what i would do, there are some great value ones for sale with low miles that have been pampered.

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

With a stock LT1 and not super sticky tires. The stock D36 will live for quite a while with good fluid.

Lots of Torque and sticky tires will kill them. With really sticky tires, big torque, and high stall you need a D44, even that has a point of breaking.

In your case, swap out for the fluid for Redline Heavy Shock Proof Gear oil and run it. It'll live for quite a while.

Larger TB do almost nothing on a stock LT1.

Underdrive pullies do a little bit. Not much.

Here is a good post from way back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...o-results.html

The gears and stall depends on what you want to do?

From your description it sounds like you want something all around.
Cannot go too big on the stall then or with the rear end.

I'm not an auto guy so I'm not 100% on what is "best".
However, I would not go over 4K for street use on the stall. 3K or so might be better. Gears=3.73, 3.45, 3.54.

If you want more power in the future a Dana 44 can always be swapped in.

Headers=Best HP gain. LOTS of info on CF, do a search to get more. TPIS makes them as well.

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/C4_Corvette.html

http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...?idCategory=52

http://www.stainlessworks.net/produc...6-headers.html

A note on headers, bigger is not better. You have to match to your engine and output. A stock 350 LT1 is better off with 1-5/8" primaries not 1-7/8". Flow is important but so is velocity of the air. Same goes for heads. Flow numbers are NOT everything. The bigger ones will work but they are better on a bigger cube engine or one with MAYBE head/cam work.

Whew, long post. I don't know everything, but I have a clue on most things.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
spdtrip
Cruising

93Rubie thank you for all that info. I am not normally an auto guy either. but I have been a mustang guy for sometime now and its time for a change all around. thanks all for your comments and info.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM
MarkD13
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Imho ...

... keep your eye on the 'C4s For Sale' section of this forum. You will be able to find an already done C4 with all the items on your wish list for less than 10K.

I was in the same position as you 2 years ago - a B-body Mopar guy looking for a switch. I'm glad I picked the C4. It is cheap, sturdy, and there is nothing that has not already been done on them. This site is loded with great people with benevolent personalities.

I ended up buying a '94/auto/original owner/no mods for $7.5K. I started buying parts for my build, but now think I might shouldda bought one already done.

Enjoy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To looking for performance info

Quick Reply: looking for performance info