C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My C4 is back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default My C4 is back on the road!

Hey guys. I just finished the trans swap last night. I took the car for the 1st drive today. I put some fresh gas in the car since I has been sitting for almost a year.

Anyhow, I swapped to a 4l60e with a standalone controller, so I can choose where it shifts and when. I also went with a 3000 rpm stall converter which should definately wake things up.

I'm in the process of moving, but I'm hoping to get out to the track once I run it on the wide band a bit to verify that it's running safe.

One major, yet inexpensive change that I need to make is removing my filthy, $10 ebay mock up air filter and replace it with something nice. I'm expecting that boost will go way up when I do this, hence me wanting to do some trial runs to make sure I have enough fuel going to it.

A very huge thanks goes out to Wayne (Mobandy) who helped me a ton on this project and showing me the way to swap the trans 2 years ago.

This should be an interesting 2013!

Last edited by qwiketz; 01-19-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

look forward to your results!! what controller are you using for the transmission, and was it pretty straight forward swap?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

I'm using the baumann quick 1. It wasn't too bad to install but I did have to install a dakota digital to convert the speed sensor signal.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you are still at it.

Just a few of the older guys still here modding the C4s.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

yup. Still at it. A bit slow over the last year but hopefully I'll run some numbers soon.

Last night we went by the local fuddruckers for dinner and they happeend to have a bunch of viper and corvette c6 guys there. Apparently they meet there on Tuesday nights. I may get a few shakes of the head when I roll up in my beater.... well at least until I free rev it and they hear my procharger red valve! On a more serious note, I'm just looking forward to getting it back on the road.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to help!!! I'm glad you have it going again!!!

MO
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Hey, thanks for the information. FWIW I have never talked to anyone who was happy with trying to adjust the governor weights. In the long run, you have the best setup.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey, thanks for the information. FWIW I have never talked to anyone who was happy with trying to adjust the governor weights. In the long run, you have the best setup.
Yes, i believe this is probably the best setup. This way if I ever do a cam swap, I can up the shift rpm. Or, if I have some traction issues with the 1 -2 shift, I can probably soften that up that by playing with the shift rpm.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Yes, i believe this is probably the best setup. This way if I ever do a cam swap, I can up the shift rpm. Or, if I have some traction issues with the 1 -2 shift, I can probably soften that up that by playing with the shift rpm.

also, cant you control the firmness of the shift on the 4L60 ? If so, that would help you on the 1-2 shift.
PS I really feel sorry for you having to deal with the problem of controlling traction!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

I believe you can. I'm not sure how the car will behave with the additional boost (14psi vs 11psi) in first. Most of the time when I ran it previously, I had the wideband on it and was running in 2nd and 3rd. I also went to a higher stall converter so it should wake things up a bit. Keep in mind that I'm also trying to hook using a 18" drag radial which doesn't help as much as a full slick.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM
RVY
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've been doing this long enough to realize there are all sorts of variables. That said you may gain an additional 25 rwhp @3000 plus along the curve. I changed cams and also dropped one size in blower pulley and lost about 25 rwhp @the bottom but gained it back @5000rpm and surprisingly peaked out at 17 lbs boost. If you can control the torque thru 1st and 2nd gear I'll fly west and you can teach me. Good Luck.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

hi guys. I drove the car today for the 2nd time. There's still a bit of work for me to do on it.

-It looks like it's leaking a bit of oil. I think it may be from the front of the engine. The car essentially sat for about a year with a few startups in between. Perhaps this added to an already existing problem from the front seal.
- Also,the speedo is reading about double. I know that the controller can be modified by using a decimal value (thanks wayne) but I need to re-read the instructions.
-the alginment needs to be done; my tires are shot and I have new ones but don't want to burn those up while I'm at it.
-IAC- the car stalled twice today when going from braking to light gas. I'm not sure if it's the idle air control, but I might need to play with something to raise the rpm as I decelerate.

No exciting boost figures or accelleration runs as I'm cycling the old fuel out of the tank. I had it super low and refueled twice so far with a few gallons and ran it down so hopefully any stale gas is out of the tank. Anyhow, little by little, I' m at least making progress. Thanks for the support!

Get notified of new replies

To My C4 is back on the road!

Quick Reply: My C4 is back on the road!