C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Slave Cylinder to buy for 84-88

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM
VettoVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Slave Cylinder to buy for 84-88

Hey folks,

Took the 84 vette for a drive the otherday. clutch felt a little funny, engaging way to close to the floor, having to pump it to get any clutch pressure. Now its got zero pressure. the pedal was squeaking for along time before, thought maybe it was just a rusty pedal or something but this makes sense.

Master cylinder is new

im like 99% sure its the slave cylinder.

Whats the best slave cylinder to buy? i've seen them anywhere from $50-$170 all from reputable dealers like zip and mamotorworks. im curious what everyone else is using.

my original clutch was a leg buster VERY tough to push in. im looking for something that has the touch like a newer car if thats possible.

cheers! and I appreciate the help

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

AutoZone or RockAuto.com, I wouldn't buy parts like that from a Corvette parts catalog. There is no reason to.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Burdedw
Intermediate

I replaced my master and slave recently with AutoZone parts.
I'm pleased, decent price and they work fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM
VettoVette
Advanced

ordered a Rhinopac/world car slave cylinder from rock auto for like 40 after shipping. Ive heard it mentioned on other forums. I was looking specifically for something 100% cast rather then the two piece molded one like the original delco.

ill keep you guys posted on how it turns out for those in my same predicament.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by VettoVette
ordered a Rhinopac/world car slave cylinder from rock auto for like 40 after shipping. Ive heard it mentioned on other forums. I was looking specifically for something 100% cast rather then the two piece molded one like the original delco.

ill keep you guys posted on how it turns out for those in my same predicament.
I went with a cast slave when I replaced my original slave cylinder @ 80k miles. The weight difference is negligible...

It's worked great...so why not.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I wouldn't toss the old one and if I had a cast one I'd probably inspect the piston because it's likely assembled with a piston and seal that actually is very available in the open market. Hone and reseal!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
VettoVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I wouldn't toss the old one and if I had a cast one I'd probably inspect the piston because it's likely assembled with a piston and seal that actually is very available in the open market. Hone and reseal!
im kind of a broken part hoarder lol, so I will be. problem is when you re hone them you need a bigger seal. which may cause it to be weaker. the smaller the seal the more responsive the clutch is as well, at least to my understanding.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:25 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll find that on your '84 the bottom fitting is odd and the cookie cutter Slaves from Parts stores won't be compatible. You'll need to buy the A/C Delco slave or change the hose end...

I am not sure of the later years as I've not heard many others ever mention this issue...but when I was doing a the Slave, I had to find that brand or change the hose.

And don't discount the fact that the Master is bad......I am on my third Master from Kragen/O'reilly......I replaced it three years ago and it already went out.....put another in there and it lasted a month, warranty the part and replaced it again.....

I am thinking to go back the AC/Delco place an buying another OEM.....
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM
VettoVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhammons01
You'll find that on your '84 the bottom fitting is odd and the cookie cutter Slaves from Parts stores won't be compatible. You'll need to buy the A/C Delco slave or change the hose end...

I am not sure of the later years as I've not heard many others ever mention this issue...but when I was doing a the Slave, I had to find that brand or change the hose.

And don't discount the fact that the Master is bad......I am on my third Master from Kragen/O'reilly......I replaced it three years ago and it already went out.....put another in there and it lasted a month, warranty the part and replaced it again.....

I am thinking to go back the AC/Delco place an buying another OEM.....
Ill check it out when the slave gets here. I could always take the old boot off and use that. im almost positive its the slave. ive had a mysterious clutch leak for a long time. a little oil residue on the oil filter. the clutch pedal squeaked for a long time, you had to be a body builder to push in the clutch. and then when it started going out i had to pump it to keep pressure.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Rockauto has a huge selection of hydraulics. Have heard good things about Sachs brand....., but I would cough up the extra coin for Delco brand hydraulics.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
VettoVette
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Rockauto has a huge selection of hydraulics. Have heard good things about Sachs brand....., but I would cough up the extra coin for Delco brand hydraulics.
thats just it, ive heard the delcos are the 2 piece welded design rather then the cast. some people have reported leaking from the seam. I figured id give the bulkier cast one a shot. ill open it up check the seals for quality then throw it on there.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Slave Cylinder to buy for 84-88

Quick Reply: Best Slave Cylinder to buy for 84-88