C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans Fluid question after trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Trans Fluid question after trans swap

Hi guys. I had my 4l60 rebuilt and I have the car back together. I was told that depending on the size of the cooler, it'll take about 11 quarts of fluid. I was also told to put in 6 quarts, fire up the car for 15 seconds, shut it off and then add more fluid.

I put 10.5 quarts in and it seems like I have too much in there. The procedure getting there is this.

Put in about 1/2 a quart into the converter at the time of installation

put in 6 quarts, started the car and ran it for 15 seconds.

added 3 more quarts, started the car again for about 20 seconds and checked for leaks

added 1 last quart and fired the car up again to check the level. After running for about 20 seconds, I checked the fluid and it seems like I have too much in there. It's above the crosshares ont he dipstick.

So with this in mind, I have a few questions. Do I need to let the car idle longer to allow the trans fluid to fill the converter? What should I do if there is too much fluid in the trans? Is it a problem?

thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

You want to check at "operating" temperature. I thought an O/H total was 11.5. So you're probably just short. Drive it, bring to temperature, check it, add in small increments, pass the shifter through all ranges and check again.

If after driving, bringing it to temperature you actually are overfull you could suck some from the dip-stick tube. Do you know that the tube and stick are correct for the application.

What are you using for lubricant? Additives?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-19-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After running for about 20 seconds, I checked the fluid and it seems like I have too much in there. It's above the crosshares ont he dipstick.
Are you checking the level with the car running or shut off?

You statement above makes me think you are checking it with the engine shut off.

It MUST be checked with the engine running, up to temperature and in Neutral or Park.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I checked it cold, but with the car idling. I'll take it for a drive and then re-check.

Yeah, I was told it was around 11 so I was surprised to see it look high. I'm guessing that its user error more than anything.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Thanks for the info guys. I checked it cold, but with the car idling. I'll take it for a drive and then re-check.

Yeah, I was told it was around 11 so I was surprised to see it look high. I'm guessing that its user error more than anything.
Once you bring it to operating temperature and since you KNOW you've done 10.5 you should be able to confirm that the stick and tube are correct for the application. The stick should have a part number on it. Post that number!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Just idling in the garage will not give you an accurate reading after a rebuild. As others have mentioned, you have to warm the tranny up. Also, until you run it through all the gears a few times including locking up the converter, the level will read high.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My experience with rebuilds is that some of the transmission oil passages are dry after the rebuild and don't get any oil in them until you actually use the combination of gears, etc. that fills those passages.

Depending on where your trans cooler is located will determine how much drains back into the trans when you shut off the engine. Also half the fluid in the torque converter drains back into the pan. You will get a much higher level with the engine off.

The two marks on the dipstick are 1 PINT (NOT quart) apart, so it's easy to add the wrong amount. The level will go up about 1 pint between cold and hot. You're supposed to measure the level when the fluid is hot. I have found that there seems to be some transient stuff happening in the trans when I pull the car into the garage, so I let it idle for about a minute to let things settle down before measuring the level.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 01-21-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Fluid question after trans swap

Quick Reply: Trans Fluid question after trans swap