C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lower front fender removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 AM
nummy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Left front fender removal

Hello everyone -

How difficult is it to remove & replace the left front fender (driver's side) on a 1996 base coupe?

My recently-purchased 1996 Corvette has a crack along the flange - on top where the fender is bolted to the car. It isn't noticeable unless the hood is open, but I would rather just get it replaced because it bothers me.

If it's just a matter of unbolting it, and bolting-on a new one, I would like to just order one now while the car is in storage and get it painted the correct color.

I'm no mechanic, and even less qualified when it comes to body work, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be great if I could get a new replacement, get it painted by a qualified body shop, and install it myself.

I found several places to purchase a new fender - an example is shown below.

http://www.corvettesouth.com/corvett...41f23cae886b6a

Thanks for your time !

nummy

Last edited by nummy; 01-18-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by nummy
Hello everyone -

How difficult is it to remove & replace the left front fender (driver's side) on a 1996 base coupe?

My recently-purchased 1996 Corvette has a crack along the flange - on top where the fender is bolted to the car. It isn't noticeable unless the hood is open, but I would rather just get it replaced because it bothers me.

If it's just a matter of unbolting it, and bolting-on a new one, I would like to just order one now while the car is in storage and get it painted the correct color.

I'm no mechanic, and even less qualified when it comes to body work, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be great if I could get a new replacement, get it painted by a qualified body shop, and install it myself.

I found several places to purchase a new fender - an example is shown below.

http://www.corvettesouth.com/corvett...41f23cae886b6a

Thanks for your time !

nummy
They are easy to remove.

1x bolt at the top near the door, move the rubber seal that goes to the latch and you will see it.
the torx bolts facing the tire and there is one bolt to loosen between the sill panel and fender panel, slightly more forward than the top bolt.
Shine a torch and you will see the head of the bolt use an open ended spanner to undo it a few turns.

You may be able to find one the correct color.

Last edited by gerardvg; 01-18-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 AM
nummy
Intermediate

Not sure what you mean by a "1x bolt", or the rubber seal that goes to the latch. (the car isn't here, so it's hard to envission)

I re-call the torx bolts facing the tire, but I'm not sure what you mean regarding the single bolt betwenn the fender sill and the door sill, or your reference to being slightly more forward than the top bolt.....what top bolt are you referring to?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but it sounds by your description that it's something I could handle myself.....I just don't want to screw it up.....

Thank you for your time !

nummy

Originally Posted by gerardvg
They are easy to remove.

1x bolt at the top near the door, move the rubber seal that goes to the latch and you will see it.
the torx bolts facing the tire and there is one bolt to loosen between the sill panel and fender panel, slightly more forward than the top bolt.
Shine a torch and you will see the head of the bolt use an open ended spanner to undo it a few turns.

You may be able to find one the correct color.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 AM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just that simple. To get to the bottom bolts you have to take a couple of screws out of the rocker panel and pull it out enough to get to the bottom screws. You have to pull the rocker panel in these cars to change the battery. It won't take long at all. Jump on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SS
It's just that simple. To get to the bottom bolts you have to take a couple of screws out of the rocker panel and pull it out enough to get to the bottom screws. You have to pull the rocker panel in these cars to change the battery. It won't take long at all. Jump on it.
Depending upon one's tool box the removal or loosening of the rocker is NOT required. The appropriate sized "tappet" wrench or most quality end wrenches will do the lower fastener. There are also specialty wrenches that can be purchased singularly if a person wanted.

Still even if a person were to need to loosen or remove a couple rocker fasteners it's not an issue.

OP: Post a snapshot of the break if you will. I doubt that it might require the purchase of a new panel and if it would be a more appropriate repair I'd certainly entertain the purchase of a used vs new as has been mentioned. Refinish isn't inexpensive, color matches are a possible problem. Used is likely a more appropriate replacement. What color is the car? Paint code?

The new panel you refer to with refinish labor and materials could easily end up being a $300 outlay. Easily!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-18-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 AM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

On my 1988 there are the three torx head bolts along the wheelwell, a 10mm on the top of the panel and then a 10mm at the bottom, that just needs to be loosened. The panel is slotted so you shouldn't have to take the rocker panels off. I can change a battery in a few minutes.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Yorcci
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Here you can see the attaching bolts (don't mind the language, it's Finnish) http://finnshark.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=151
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

A youtube video!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 AM
nummy
Intermediate

Not sure what you meant by the statement "Depending upon one's tool box the removal or loosening of the rocker is NOT required." If the rocker bolt isn't loosened and removed, how can the fender be removed?

I watched this You Tube video that somewhat showed how to remove the battery:

I will attempt to upload a photo of the crack when I'm off from work tomorrow.

The crack is 2 inches long at the flange under the upper bolt closest to the firewall where the rubber seal has to be moved-over. I wondered if there was some type of extra-strength glue that could be used, but I envissioned it cracking again when re-attaching the fender. The color is 1996 Torch Red - 70 code I believe.

If you watch that You Tube video, what is the guy sayiing about that lower bolt coming out the fist time, then having to "cut it" ?

WOW - you guys are really helpful !

nummy

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Depending upon one's tool box the removal or loosening of the rocker is NOT required. The appropriate sized "tappet" wrench or most quality end wrenches will do the lower fastener. There are also specialty wrenches that can be purchased singularly if a person wanted.

Still even if a person were to need to loosen or remove a couple rocker fasteners it's not an issue.

OP: Post a snapshot of the break if you will. I doubt that it might require the purchase of a new panel and if it would be a more appropriate repair I'd certainly entertain the purchase of a used vs new as has been mentioned. Refinish isn't inexpensive, color matches are a possible problem. Used is likely a more appropriate replacement. What color is the car? Paint code?

The new panel you refer to with refinish labor and materials could easily end up being a $300 outlay. Easily!

Last edited by nummy; 01-18-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

What I meaant was, sometimes very inexpensive tools of lesser quality might be "thicker" and present a challenge being inserted between the rocker and the lower panel. Now that you've seen the location of the 2 10mm fasteners top and bottom take a new look at the challenge when you go to your car. It should be very easy to relate the video to your removal. I thought the audio problem was my connection.

My original thought when I read your original post was a potential repair with appropriate adhesives!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-18-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 AM
nummy
Intermediate

I totally understand now - thank you !

It would be great if I could somehow glue that crack back together because the actual finish of the fender is perfect....not sure how it became cracked - over tightening perhaps during the last battery replacement, or vibration?

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What I meaant was, sometimes very inexpensive tools of lesser quality might be "thicker" and present a challenge being inserted between the rocker and the lower panel. Now that you've seen the location of the 2 10mm fasteners top and bottom take a new look at the challenge when you go to your car. It should be very easy to relate the video to your removal. I thought the audio problem was my connection.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If it looks ok from the outside, I would just epoxy or bond the crack so it won't continue. You can always repaint the cracked area that doesn't show. This way, you won't have to deal with paint matching the outside. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

On the bottom 10mm bolt, there is not a lot of room to fit a wrench. I just made my own little tool by cutting a 10mm notch in a piece of 1/8" flat bar. It fits in the gap with ease. You just need to loosen this bolt...do not remove it. Once loose, the sill panel just pulls straight outward.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
nummy
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice - I did that and it looks great !

WOW......I must look like a real dumb ***.

nummy

Originally Posted by 383vett
If it looks ok from the outside, I would just epoxy or bond the crack so it won't continue. You can always repaint the cracked area that doesn't show. This way, you won't have to deal with paint matching the outside. Just my thoughts.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower front fender removal

Quick Reply: Lower front fender removal