C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Corvette 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Default 1989 Corvette 2 Questions

I am in the process of restoring my 1989 corvette and have done almost all interior and engine work and it looks great on the inside and runs great also thanks to the help of everyone on the corvette forum.

I have bought a new steering wheel for my 1989 corvette and I can borrow a friends steering wheel puller and I know it is probably not that hard of a job to do. If anyone can explain to me how to pull it that would be great and how to put it back on to make it lined up right would be great also. Just some more information since mine is a 1989 is does not have any airbag items to worry about.

I have also had an anti-lock lock on since I got the car the previous owner said that he had it checked out and it was a bad sensor but did not know which one it was, which I believe is true since the brakes work fine and I have had no issues with them at all. How would I fix this and are there any steps I can take to diagnose which sensor is bad?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Stephen

EDIT: Do I have to remove the locking plate for any reason when pulling the steering wheel and replacing with a new one of the same exact original style steering wheel? Do I even have to mess with the locking plate at all?

Last edited by Red89'-L98; 01-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the steering wheel I don't remember all of the steps but it is fairly simple. Pop the horn cap off and you will see the nut that has to be removed and where to put the puller. Remember the order that the tele-steering system goes so that when you put it back together it goes in right.

You can check for resistance at each wheel sensor. Disconnect it and use your DVM to check for resistance. If you get no sisgnal then you have found the problem.

Sometimes with the wheels it can also be in the wheel bearing. If you don't find a problem at the sensor then it is possible that there is some play in the wheel.

If you do a search there are a few good sites for diagnosing the problems with the ABS on those. I just can't remember then off hand.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by 1986coupe
As for the steering wheel I don't remember all of the steps but it is fairly simple. Pop the horn cap off and you will see the nut that has to be removed and where to put the puller. Remember the order that the tele-steering system goes so that when you put it back together it goes in right.

You can check for resistance at each wheel sensor. Disconnect it and use your DVM to check for resistance. If you get no sisgnal then you have found the problem.

Sometimes with the wheels it can also be in the wheel bearing. If you don't find a problem at the sensor then it is possible that there is some play in the wheel.

If you do a search there are a few good sites for diagnosing the problems with the ABS on those. I just can't remember then off hand.

Good luck.
So there is only 1 bolt I take off and just hook up the puller to it and tighten it down until it pops off? Then do I have to take anything else apart since I am just replacing the steering wheel itself?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

regarding the wheel puller...yes.
the puller presses against the steering shaft to lift the wheel up and off.
It grabs the wheel and from there you screw the puller in/on the shaft.

The abs sensors are more challenging. These are sometimes hard to find and you have to find the exact sensor for that wheel. They are not made anymore. You have to figure which you need then search e-bay for the right sensor. Some folks have had luck at porche and mercedes finding the parts for C4 abs since Bosch used the same system on those 2 german cars... I think caddy from the 80s had the same thing.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Veryevilkitten2
So there is only 1 bolt I take off and just hook up the puller to it and tighten it down until it pops off? Then do I have to take anything else apart since I am just replacing the steering wheel itself?
Not just a single bolt but not much more than!

Here's a very good "how to" for the early "tilt/travel" column:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...a-1989-c4.html

Bolt length etc is included!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Not just a single bolt but not much more than!

Here's a very good "how to" for the early "tilt/travel" column:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...a-1989-c4.html

Bolt length etc is included!
Thank you for showing me this, I used the sear feature but must not have typed in the right words.

Ok, now here is the question. What all screws do I need to remove? I know for sure the 2 phillips head screws on the star screw need to come off and the star screw. How do I get the star screw off, is it phillips head also?

Are there any more bolts that need to come off or is it just those 3 and the snap ring? Also it says to remove the steering wheel retainer nut and I can not see it or tell what it looks like. Is it the triangle looking thing?

Then when I attach the puller, where exactly does it attach to?

Thanks for all the help, Stephen
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Thank you for showing me this, I used the sear feature but must not have typed in the right words.

Ok, now here is the question. What all screws do I need to remove? I know for sure the 2 phillips head screws on the star screw need to come off and the star screw. How do I get the star screw off, is it phillips head also?

Are there any more bolts that need to come off or is it just those 3 and the snap ring? Also it says to remove the steering wheel retainer nut and I can not see it or tell what it looks like. Is it the triangle looking thing?

Then when I attach the puller, where exactly does it attach to?

Thanks for all the help, Stephen
The "nut" is hidden by what you refer to as the "triangle thing". The nut would be the last thing and then you use the puller. Pay attention to how it's indexed when you remove it. You should be fine - just use the images. The horn cap pulls off! Be easy with everything!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The "nut" is hidden by what you refer to as the "triangle thing". The nut would be the last thing and then you use the puller. Pay attention to how it's indexed when you remove it. You should be fine - just use the images. The horn cap pulls off! Be easy with everything!
Haha, makes sense. I am guessing the "triangular thing" comes off after the snap ring right?

Ok, and is it indexed with a line on it, and if so what does it line up with so I know how to index it correctly.

One last thing, where does the puller bolt into, the 2 bolts right above and below the steering wheel retainer nut or does it go into the 3rd bolt hole to the left of the bottom bolt hole also?

Thanks again, Stephen

Last edited by Red89'-L98; 01-01-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Do I have to remove the locking plate for any reason when pulling the steering wheel and replacing with a new one of the same exact original style steering wheel? Do I even have to mess with the locking plate at all?

~Stephen
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Do I have to remove the locking plate for any reason when pulling the steering wheel and replacing with a new one of the same exact original style steering wheel? Do I even have to mess with the locking plate at all?

~Stephen
No - you're not going that far. Use the SNAPSHOTS AS A GUIDE!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
TTA579
Instructor

~Stephen
Author of the How-To here. The job will be pretty straight forward. You'll only be going through steps 1-4, and then backwards 4-1. No need to touch the lock plate (and I wouldn't suggest it without a spare lock ring retainer on hand).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Haha, makes sense. I am guessing the "triangular thing" comes off after the snap ring right?

Ok, and is it indexed with a line on it, and if so what does it line up with so I know how to index it correctly.

One last thing, where does the puller bolt into, the 2 bolts right above and below the steering wheel retainer nut or does it go into the 3rd bolt hole to the left of the bottom bolt hole also?
The "triangle thing" is the snap ring. You'll want snap ring pliers.

You can see in the photo, though small, that the tip of the shaft has a notch in it (12 o'clock position). The steering wheel will have a similar mark that you will see after you remove the nut.

Yes, you'll use the holes at 12 and 6.

Last edited by TTA579; 01-02-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by TTA579
Author of the How-To here. The job will be pretty straight forward. You'll only be going through steps 1-4, and then backwards 4-1. No need to touch the lock plate (and I wouldn't suggest it without a spare lock ring retainer on hand).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

The "triangle thing" is the snap ring. You'll want snap ring pliers.

You can see in the photo, though small, that the tip of the shaft has a notch in it (12 o'clock position). The steering wheel will have a similar mark that you will see after you remove the nut.

Yes, you'll use the holes at 12 and 6.
I have already pulled the wheel but the information is very helpful and will hopefully help a lot of other also.

Thanks to everyone for the help, Stephen
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The drawings in the FSM are well worth the paultry $75 for the books wouldn't ya say?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by leesvet
The drawings in the FSM are well worth the paultry $75 for the books wouldn't ya say?
Definitely worth it, I really need to get an FSM soon!

I am trying to find one is good condition or great condition for a good price like you said around $75.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
TTA579
Instructor

Definitely worth it, I really need to get an FSM soon!

I am trying to find one is good condition or great condition for a good price like you said around $75.
I opted for the CD. It's a lot more portable than the 1000+ page manual.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

I opted for the CD. It's a lot more portable than the 1000+ page manual.
How much is the cd and is it as easy to use as the book when it comes to trying to find something?

I might be interested in doing that if it is cheap until when I feel like getting the actual manual.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
TTA579
Instructor

How much is the cd and is it as easy to use as the book when it comes to trying to find something?

I might be interested in doing that if it is cheap until when I feel like getting the actual manual.
The CD can be had on ebay for a very reasonable price (I've purchased the full manual and supplement for my TTA, I know what they can cost).

My favorite advantage is that I can search the manual for keywords. That makes it easier to search for me. As you saw in my post I can copy images and print any section I need a hard copy of.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

The CD can be had on ebay for a very reasonable price (I've purchased the full manual and supplement for my TTA, I know what they can cost).

My favorite advantage is that I can search the manual for keywords. That makes it easier to search for me. As you saw in my post I can copy images and print any section I need a hard copy of.
Thanks, I'll look online and see if I can find any for a good price.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Corvette 2 Questions

Quick Reply: 1989 Corvette 2 Questions